Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
And for a little more money you can get a tool that will help you route your cables down through the top of your desk so you can avoid any unsightly cables sticking out the side of the Mac Pro. :)

Although it may reduce your desk's resale value a little bit. ;)

three-inch-hole-saw.jpg

unknwntrr

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
Space heater

This is awesome, now put it on the floor and point it to your feet. The warm air it provides should feel nice…

In all seriousness: why? The MacPro is designed to take up little space, stand upright and be easy to turn to access the connectors. Why would you put it on it's side, having the cables stick out sideways and making it take up more space? Stupid.

But I guess Apple might redesign it soon anyway, it's just awful to have a pro computer at that price point where you can't put in standard components. I'm still considering to buy an old MacPro on eBay to make a hackinntosh that looks good and has proper expandability. Why on earth did Apple force external hard-drives and disable PCIe expansion for pro hardware like video capture cards…? Hackintosh to the rescue, just like last time Apple fell on it's nose in the 90s - but this time in Apple-designed packaging.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
And for a little more money you can get a tool that will help you route your cables down through the top of your desk so you can avoid any unsightly cables sticking out the side of the Mac Pro. :)

Although it may reduce your desk's resale value a little bit. ;)

That is actually not a bad idea. Nice thinking!

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
I mean...

...yes the MacPro is a fantastic piece of engineering and of course it is small and beautiful, but, ehem... Aren't there any other rumors around workstations from Apple within four month but a horizontal stand?

I almost pushed the buy-button of a PC-Online Shop for a 24-Core-128 RAM-Quadro-4TB SSD Workstation in ONE case recently. When I hesitated and came back to the rumors, I always found big news about the horizontal stand.

I would like to see Apple building a Workstation, that's so big and ugly, that 2nd Party manufacturers would invent gadgets to hide it, as long as it is as powerful like the biggest 24 core water cooled PC beast, which is almost the same price like the high end 12 core Mac Pro .

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
what kind of news...

I'm still considering to buy an old MacPro on eBay to make a hackinntosh that looks good and has proper expandability. Why on earth did Apple force external hard-drives and disable PCIe expansion for pro hardware like video capture cards…?

I totally agree, the news about the horizontal stand are cynical news for Pro Users. Small means also lower power supply, so GPUs cannot run as fast as they could, for example.

I want to buy art from artists. A bicycle from S. Dali might be a great piece of art, but practically useless. Design was a great gimmick for apple computers but it turns to be a disadvantage. The advantage for apple is, that they can reduce costs for programmers, because now, they don't have to optimize OSX for other components.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011

Just because something can be done and Apple say it's ok, doesn't mean it should be done and will be ok:

I can turn the brightness all the way up on my late 2013 model iMac, however, it overheats the screen (as indiciated by the BLC proximity sensor) and causes ghosting/image retention.

If I had a Mac Pro - which looks like it will be my next upgrade thanks to the horrid screens used in the iMacs (retina iMac displays having various issues too), I would not have it on it's side without a cooled air intake.

Also, in the picture, they show the beautiful clean side of the machine - what about the other side with all the cables flopping around all over the desk in view (it would bug the ***** out of me).

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Yeah, pretty much ....

They do say it's safe to operate on its side like that, but that's primarily intended for people who wish to rack mount the Mac Pro. (They can get a special rack or tray so a whole group of them fits on their side, in a row, in a standard server rack. Then you've typically got plenty of cooling by way of a system that pulls the hot air up and out from behind all the machines in the rack.)

On its side like this, by itself? It makes me want to glue little ears and a tail on it and make it look like a pig. Not exactly elegant.

Hot air rises. It was designed to sit the way it does for a reason. Turning it on it's side means it doesn't rise out the top but instead can heat up other components that it wasn't designed to have heated in that way.

Who says, "I wish this Mac Pro took up more space and I'd like to have $60 less than I currently have."

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Nice! Looks like a canon :)

I don't know about everyone else... But seeing the picture in the OP makes me feel like playing a game of Super Mario Brothers...

Anywho, With the Pro sitting horizontally, I wouldn't be surprised if someone builds a model of an A380 or B787 and uses the Pro as the engines.

BL.

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Oct 29 2014
Twelve South Launches Horizontal BookArc Stand for Mac Pro

:p @ all professionals

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
launch of new stand

no matter from which perspective you see it - horizontal, upside down - we need a new Mac Pro with double processors, standard GPU slots, additional drive slots, that ship with keyboard and mouse :cool:

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
it is enough

to look once in a year on MacRumors to see what's up with the MacPro development

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Who stores a bunch of Mac Pros in a racked studio cabinet? :rolleyes: Those that are looking to rack-mount them will do so in a real rack and use something like this.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/rackmacpro.html

So you just keep changing your story don't you? First it's "that Mac is not designed to go that way, it will overheat". Then some posts official Apple docs saying its fine horizontal and now the story has just changed to "that stand is crap, here is a good one".

:rolleyes:

nakedtosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelll

Tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelve Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouth Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauncheeeeeeeeeees Hoooooooooooooooooooorizooooooooooooontaaaaaaaaaal BoooooooooooooooooooooooookAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarc Staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand foooooooooooooooooooooor Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaac Prooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............................................................................. nothing new since Oct. 2014?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.