Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hi all.

I was wondering if any of you knew of a nice Bluetooth clicker/remote-control for giving presentations? (Obviously, the pinnacle of clicker perfection would be the one Steve Jobs uses for his keynotes, but apparently these are custom-built for him.) If I had a Bluetooth phone I'd use that with Salling Clicker, but unfortunately I don't have one. The only clickers I can find are Keyspan's RF clickers which all use a USB dongle, which is fine, I'd just prefer to make use of my PowerBook's built-in BT.

Any suggestions?

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
it's not an elegent solution (nor bluettoth unless you have an apple wireless mouse) but what about getting a small laptop/child sized wireless mouse? I have seen RF ones with mouseballs not optical - you could take the ball out so that you don't wiggle it and use the buttons to click forward and backward on the presentation?

alternatively by a 2nd hand bluetooth phone on ebay.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Yep, go for a BT mouse. They have a range of 30' and work well with PowerPoint or Keynote presentations. I'm not sure about the Keyspan clicker you mention but some non-BT wireless products have a very limited range.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You might check on eBay for older bluetooth phones, such as the Sony-Erickson 600 series. They'll be pretty cheap. Salling Clicker will work even if the phone isn't active (which isn't such a bad idea -- my phone rang during a presentation once!). Also, I prefer Romeo to Salling Clicker. It does the same thing and is free.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I second a a used SonyEricsson. You could probably get a T68i pretty cheap (or free with a plan). I prefer Salling Clicker over Romeo, simply because it does so much more, but if you're on a tight budget, Romeo will work.

henryaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks for all your help guys! Looks like a T68i is a pretty good idea, and damn cheap too - the way I remember it, it was one of the first phones to be supported via Bluetooth on OS X, and it was always used in little icons like those in iSync etc. - so truly an iconic phone! Anyway, at the prices they're going at on eBay I can afford to get one just as a remote to use with Salling Clicker. According to the Salling Clicker website the T68i doesn't support connecting to a computer (presumably connections the other way work fine though) - would this make a difference? I assume I could just pair my Mac to the phone and then it'd work.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I use my Sony-Erickson 635 (essentially a more recent version of the 68i) as a remote with Romeo. Not sure if Salling Clicker works the same way, but I start Romeo on the Mac and it finds the phone. I click "connect" on Romeo, which then shows up on the phone menu under Accessories. It works perfectly -- the only caveats being, if you get out of range (about 10 m), or the Mac goes to sleep, your connection drops and it has to be reestablished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.