Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Ive recently started collecting older apple products. Mostly all iPod classics and looking at some power PC's. Now that the iWatch is nearing release is there anyone here that would just purchase the iWatch for investment? There has been mixed speculation on how well the watch will do. If it tanks and doesn't go anywhere and apple doesn't continue to produce any newer models do you guys think it would just increase in value down the road>? Would it be a good collectors item and by that I mean 10-15 years down the road?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The PowerCD, MacintoshTV, Lisa, TAM, Cube, QuickTake, Newton, Apple III and Mac 128K were all commercial failures.

;)

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
not sure

The quick take and the 128k I don't think were commercial failures. The quick take helped forge the industry and the beginning of digital. Hard to dethrone kodak at the time but it overall did them in. The 128k was high priced as the first it paved the way, in fact up till last decade I knew banks that still used 512's networked together in use.

Like the pacer of its day I might agree. So ahead of its time but now everything mimics it.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Consider the price of the Macintosh in 1984. $2,495~

Consider what some of the "new in box" and "perfect" units have sold for recently.

In 30 years .. if all you got back was a break even, in some cases $300ish more .. most of the time, less than the 1984 price.

You could have done better with the $2.5K just leaving it in the bank for the same period of time.

You collect due to a desire, but pretty much any technology piece makes a really piss poor deal as an investment.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Consider the price of the Macintosh in 1984. $2,495~

Consider what some of the "new in box" and "perfect" units have sold for recently.

In 30 years .. if all you got back was a break even, in some cases $300ish more .. most of the time, less than the 1984 price.

You could have done better with the $2.5K just leaving it in the bank for the same period of time.

You collect due to a desire, but pretty much any technology piece makes a really piss poor deal as an investment.
Hit the nail on the head. There isn't anything Apple has ever made that is worthwhile as an investment. There might be some argument that an original iPod new in the box might sell for more than it cost new, but thats about it. If you are buying with the intent of resale down the road, then I'd just say buy it; keep the box and packing materials, use it and keep it nice, then sell later. Keeping it unused in the box is just not a smart thing to do.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The quick take and the 128k I don't think were commercial failures. The quick take helped forge the industry and the beginning of digital. Hard to dethrone kodak at the time but it overall did them in. The 128k was high priced as the first it paved the way, in fact up till last decade I knew banks that still used 512's networked together in use.

Like the pacer of its day I might agree. So ahead of its time but now everything mimics it.

They were both the first's of their kind, and would inspire the successful products that succeeded them, but they did not sell well themselves.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hit the nail on the head. There isn't anything Apple has ever made that is worthwhile as an investment.

I totally agree, with the exception of the Apple I. But those are exceedingly rare and many of the survivors are nonfunctional.

At this time, collectible computers make a bad investment. Great fun to collect, but given how much most early Macs cost new, few are even worth their original MSRP, adjusting for inflation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.