Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
going to replace the battery in my wife's 5s. looked at the ifixit guide for repair and they suggest installing the adhesive on the battery. is that necessary? what will happen if I install it without the adhesive?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
going to replace the battery in my wife's 5s. looked at the ifixit guide for repair and they suggest installing the adhesive on the battery. is that necessary? what will happen if I install it without the adhesive?

If you pry the old battery out the old adhesive remains in the case. If you do manage to remove the adhesive (trust me I've fixed 50+ iPhone 5&5s) which I doubt then you need to put some doubt sided 3m tape in there. The risk of the battery moving is slight but it could cause problems.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for the advice/info. Do you recommend prying the battery out instead of cutting the tab & trying to pull the adhesive out via the side of the battery?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for the advice/info. Do you recommend prying the battery out instead of cutting the tab & trying to pull the adhesive out via the side of the battery?

Don't cut the tab just pull it up slowly then use a pry tool to lift the battery. It's only the iPhone 6&6+ that come with the command hook style adhesive.

clickiphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
It is better to use adhesive while installing new battery in iPhone.
adhesivestrips.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.