Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
A bit rich to claim to have created the Developer jobs related to Apps: Developer works, develops an App, posts it to Apple's stores, gives Apple part of proceeds. Does Apple take any risks in this "hire"? Does Apple supply benefits to these jobs?

When I left neighborhood kids remove snow from my driveway, I am not boasting job creation. I assume CragList doesn't go around and claim job creation from exchanges on their boards?

I think both you and craigslist would have a somewhat valid claim if you were to claim job creation. Certainly, you play a role in the process.

While I agree that apple is not 100% responsible for creating a a develop job at another company, can you really argue that they deserve no credit at all?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I think both you and craigslist would have a somewhat valid claim if you were to claim job creation. Certainly, you play a role in the process.

While I agree that apple is not 100% responsible for creating a a develop job at another company, can you really argue that they deserve no credit at all?

I think it's a bit ridiculous to be honest, I'm not thanking Microsoft for the .net developers we have, cause frankly they would have still turned out to be developers. These developers will move to what ever makes them money in the future.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
when a company locks you into their eco system, they can dance, throws parties, and :p at u all they like, knowing the user must follow if they want to system in that eco system..

That's not how i remember choice.

So, Apple will always be happy, because they know all their long standing users have to back them up.. (and the ones that don't you'll scream your dragged along for the ride)

So, to me, Apple is always proud, Tim always has a big grin on his face ..... (even if it is a snarly grin at that)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
when a company locks you into their eco system...

Nobody locks you into an ecosystem (except maybe in North Korea). You are free to throw all your digital devices into the trash, and hand write letters, play board games on real cardboard, read local newspapers, etc. Or get a kit of electronic parts and ham radios and build and code your own stuff like hobbyists did 30+ years ago. If you think that's better for you than the newer tech in sealed-up Apple boxes... go choose.

----------

Ultimatly it's consumers who create all jobs.

Agreed. But some business ecosystems allow consumers to create more jobs down the line (and/or higher paying jobs) than other sets of infrastructure.

If Apple weren't manufacturing stuff in China that lots of consumers buy, most of those iPhone manufacturing workers would likely be working for companies in lower quality jobs for less pay, but some might even be back on the family farm out West eating less.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Slamming Apple employees for one of the worst iOS rollouts in its history, #bendgate, ample security exploits, the celebrity nude photo leaks, iCloud is STILL not patched, and a slew of other headaches and things that just should not happen when one of the highest profit companies goes on about how great their sales are for a year.

It's great to make all that money, now its time to invest in making Apple better than the average Asian OEM manufacture in terms of product quality and security.

Apple's quality has degraded to near 1990's Microsoft levels over the last few years.

I wanted to say 'you either being ridiculous or forgot to add /s at the end', but the comments below beat me.

Bahahahah. I needed that laugh. Do you do stand up?

Whoa, put the Apple Koolaid down, man. You've been overserved.

To be honest, nothing in this world (sadly but true) is 100% perfect, but Apple is as close as it can be. Those things you mentioned worth nothing if happened on Android or MS (and they would gladly have those problems instead of much more significant issues). But when they did on Apple, people make them such big issues.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
... No Apple device customers, obviously. Surely people would be buying products and services de jure from other companies if Apple didn't exist. Apple customers and their money do not live in a vacuum. It is a bit arrogant for Apple to take claim for successful 3rd party developers, especially when many of them have cross platform apps. It's like Home Depot taking credit for any home built with products from its stores.

I'm not trying to justify Apples claims here. I was responding to that specific post.

kdarling

macrumors P6
My favorite Apple claims from their press release and jobs summary:

"Apple directly or indirectly supports roughly 400,000 jobs in the U.S. These jobs include numerous industries, from the people who create components for our products to the people who build the planes and trucks that carry them to our customers.

If Apple can claim the jobs in factories for planes and trucks used by delivery companies, then with all my purchases from Amazon Prime, I must be personally responsible for hundreds of those!

Apple also includes 20,000 jobs created over the years for people building Apple Stores. Hmmm. After they build the store, what happened to those jobs?

Together with over 627,000 jobs generated by the iOS ecosystem, there are over 1 million U.S. jobs created or supported by Apple."

Considering their airplane claims, I wonder if they count everyone who has a developer account. And those who sell them groceries or clothes..

They could also go into more detail about what it's like to be a developer, such as how most of the App Store royalties go to only a dozen or so top companies. With over a million apps, it's near impossible for most to get noticed.

Or how 80% of developers can't support themselves with their apps. Heck, almost half make less than $100 a month from their app. Not sure I'd call that a "job".

"Since its October release, Apple Pay has been a favorite of customers, merchants and app developers.

A Black Friday survey showed that less than 5% of iPhone 6 owners used Apple Pay that day. 90% had never even tried it.

Almost 1/3 of those who had never tried Apple Pay, didn't know how it worked. Another 1/3 didn't see any need for it, and 1/5 were worried about security.

Apparently Apple's still got some education and advertisement to do in regard to Apple Pay. (To be fair, this is true even in countries that have long had NFC available.)

"More banks and credit unions continue to add support for Apple Pay, now representing about 90 percent of credit card purchase volume in the US.

Still can't use Discover or some major Mastercards.

And only 3% of POS terminals in the US are available with NFC (that's the ~220K places where it can be used).

Still, props to Apple for following a standard, and hopefully things will go better with Apple Pay this year.

mrbkk

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
When I left neighborhood kids remove snow from my driveway, I am not boasting job creation. I assume CragList doesn't go around and claim job creation from exchanges on their boards?

Actually, you are exactly boosting job creation when you hire people to remove snow from your driveway.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I have worked providing labor for Apple twice. Neither time could what I did be considered a job (according to Apple's built-in dictionary, a job is a paid position of regular employment).

Apple paid no social security tax and was held to no labor standards (including minimum wage) because of the Kafkaesque way in which they have contractors and their subcontractors competing for work. One time I serviced Arise, which serviced Apple. But when you pick up the phone and call Apple, you got me.

One time I worked for Kelly, but when you called Apple, you got me.

They have contractors across the country competing against each other and then forcing the people who work for them to incorporate. I was a single employee of a shell corporation when I serviced Arise (service is the word they use). They walk you through setting up a corporation in your state of which you are the sole employee. So, I, as a 10-hour-per week part-time worker who answered the phones for Apple had set up a corporation in my state. They then contract your corporation to provide work for them, even though they provide the training (for which you have to pay) and the equipment (for which you have to pay). In addition I paid Arise a monthly fee in order to receive their "services" through which I was able to connect to Apple's servers.

Apple could easily hire employees instead of using contractors who use what I believe to be illegal business practices.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If Apple can claim the jobs in factories for planes and trucks used by delivery companies, then with all my purchases from Amazon Prime, I must be personally responsible for hundreds of those!

You're not innumeric. You can compute a good estimate of the number. Look at how the increase in freight aircraft, trucks and employees corresponds to UPS+FedEx's increases in shipping revenues over the same time period. Then compute from the shipping of your purchases over that period the percentage you contributed to UPS/FedEx revenue increase. Multiply the two. More likely a fraction of one job than hundreds.

Of course you also have to subtract your share of all the employees that small local bookstores laid off when they went out of business.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

App Store customers worldwide set a new record in the first week of 2015, Apple announced today. According to the company, customers spent nearly half a billion dollars on apps and in-app purchases in the first week of January, with New Year's Day marking the biggest day ever for App Store sales.

As noted by Apple, this opening salvo for 2015 follows in the footsteps of a successful 2014 that saw billings rise 50 percent to generate over $10 billion in app revenue for developers, pushing total developer earnings since the App Store's inception to over $25 billion. The steady climb of user acceptance for iOS 8, along with the strong success of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and App Store specials like the (Product) RED Holiday Campaign, undoubtedly contributed to the company's App Store success of the App Store over the past few months.

The company points to innovations like the new programming language Swift, graphics technology Metal, beta-testing program TestFlight, and the introduction of HealthKit and HomeKit as major reasons behind the flourishing of App Store development in the past year. Outside of the U.S., the addition of UnionPay as a payment option for App Store customers in China was a significant move by the company in establishing an overseas presence in the country.

Apple Pay's growing popularity in the U.S. has also been a factor in the App Store's success, especially with its added integration in popular apps like those from Target, OpenTable, and Ticketmaster.

Apple isn't just celebrating a successful monetary year, but a job-creating one as well. The company has created or supported 1,027,000 jobs in the U.S., 627,000 of which are directly related to the inception of the iOS ecosystem and the App Store. Apple directly employs 66,000 employees in the United States.

Beyond the App Store ecosystem and Apple's own employment, the company calculates it supports 334,000 jobs at other companies resulting from Apple's own spending and growth through the years. And with Apple Campus 2 under construction, the company expects to continue employment growth, supporting 41,100 jobs in the area upon its completion.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Successful Year with Record-Breaking App Store Sales, Strong Job Creation
With this kind of logic I wonder how many jobs microsoft created? Must be in the hundreds of millions over the years .

Whats next? God didnt create the world but apple did (with icreation of course).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.