Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbass

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Hi guys,

I wanted to upgrade the ram in my new retina iMac to 32GB. Would really appreciate any advice on this.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-SODIMM-204-Pin-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW

Would this be suitable? I'd obviously have to buy two of these kits for 32GB. I've never bought crucial but I see it mentioned just about everywhere. Anywhere better to buy it through than Amazon? Going to be $265 USD delivered to Australia.

Thanks heaps

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
I just got a 5k iMac with the standard 8gb and bought this exact 16GB upgrade from Amazon. It took all of about 2 minutes to install and works perfectly.

I've been using Crucial for many years and never had a problem. This is also a very good price. Go ahead, buy it and don't worry. If you want to upgrade, this is the way to do it.:)

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
I agree with @hologram :)
And try crucial.com : it's often cheaper, and the service is outstanding.
I have 24GB (original 8BG + 16GB Crucial), it's perfect and so far enough for me (10 days uptime, 2 opened sessions, Photoshop, Bridge, Firefox with 20 tabs, Safari, Mail...) :)

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I replaced my 8gb RAM with 32gb Crucial RAM before ever turning on the machine. Works like a charm and very easy to do. Just make sure you're clicking the button behind the power plug all the way down with some deep plastic tool, the back plate should easily come out by itself.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Whoops ... My bad, I used those chips in the 2012 Mini ... ignore this post.

I bought what is probably the same thing from Crucial as they were on sale and cheaper from there. The Amazon ones I put in the Mini.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I replaced my 8gb RAM with 32gb Crucial RAM before ever turning on the machine. Works like a charm and very easy to do. Just make sure you're clicking the button behind the power plug all the way down with some deep plastic tool, the back plate should easily come out by itself.

The 5K iMac, for whatever reason, has a really - REALLY - stiff back plate for some people (myself included). I had to dig my fingernail under the back of it and pull, since my usual plastic tool wasn't enough to pop it off like it was on my 2012 iMac. A friend of mine had a similar experience. So just bear that in mind when upgrading the RAM. :)

carlob

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
The 5K iMac, for whatever reason, has a really - REALLY - stiff back plate for some people (myself included). I had to dig my fingernail under the back of it and pull, since my usual plastic tool wasn't enough to pop it off like it was on my 2012 iMac. A friend of mine had a similar experience. So just bear that in mind when upgrading the RAM. :)

You just need to push the button all the way down, use a pen or something to push it and the cover will pop out

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You just need to push the button all the way down, use a pen or something to push it and the cover will pop out

Yep, did that. I've upgraded quite a few iMacs from 2012. For whatever reason, I've found the new iMacs to be the tightest fit.

carlob

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
here

Attachments

• dNTgcKU3dVoLsw1C.medium.jpg
    dNTgcKU3dVoLsw1C.medium.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 87

carlob

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
Yep, did that. I've upgraded quite a few iMacs from 2012. For whatever reason, I've found the new iMacs to be the tightest fit.

yeah if you push just a little bit it will not come out, you need to put some pressure

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
yeah if you push just a little bit it will not come out, you need to put some pressure

Yes, yes. I repeat, I know! It did come out, but only a teeny-weeny bit. I heard the little pop when it released, but I still had to yank the thing out. I've had this issue on all retina iMacs I've dealt with, but none of the 2012/2013 models, so I've done it MANY times.

Mine was pretty tight, I had to pull it out, and I just upgraded using the Crucial RAM listed in the OP based on the threads here at MR. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Grats! :)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Yes, yes. I repeat, I know! It did come out, but only a teeny-weeny bit. I heard the little pop when it released, but I still had to yank the thing out. I've had this issue on all retina iMacs I've dealt with, but none of the 2012/2013 models, so I've done it MANY times.

Grats! :)

My way of doing this was to use plastic knives and push the button in, and slide the plastic knife in, parallel to the back of the Mac, to keep the panel from popping back in.

Then, I repeated the procedure for the other side (I did the two short sides), and then gently pried it out.

I may try with a suction cup (a la older iMac window removal) when I go from 24GB to 32GB.

hjalte

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
I have just ordered the late 2013 model with 8GB of ram. I have another 16GB laying here beside me, waiting to get plugged in (when I receive the machine next week).

Does it matter in which slots I put the ram?

Like:

* 4GB
* 16GB
* 4GB
* 16GB

I seem to remember something about the ram needs to be in pairs, but there is a chance I misunderstood completely :rolleyes:

Alesc

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2014
France
I have just ordered the late 2013 model with 8GB of ram. I have another 16GB laying here beside me, waiting to get plugged in (when I receive the machine next week).

Does it matter in which slots I put the ram?

Like:

* 4GB
* 16GB
* 4GB
* 16GB

I seem to remember something about the ram needs to be in pairs, but there is a chance I misunderstood completely :rolleyes:
My advice: just put the new RAM in the available slots ;)
And yes, it will be:
* 4GB
* 16GB
* 4GB
* 16GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.