Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Honestly, the tablet space has been relatively boring over the past few years. Nothing has changed since honeycomb/ics days. What else can they do now that they couldn't do 3 years ago? Samsung added stylus' which is a nice addition. They weren't the first but have one of the best implementations.

They only thing even remotely exciting is things like the Surface. Maybe I'm missing something but aside from the occasional spec bump I think tablets have pretty much gone stagnant, much like the PC market. This isn't a bad thing, it just means it's a mature platform now.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot_display

Thanks for the link to a theoretical product that doesn't exist, that no one had built manufacturing facilities to produce and that no one has plans to produce. As I said there is no such thing as a qd display.

I just want to point out this line in the wikipedia article:

"LG and Samsung announced the release of their line of quantum dot TVs at CES 2015 in early January 2015."

Based on this source:

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-leaps-quantum-dot-rivals-with-new-tv/

Soooooo.......

Also #2 in this article.

And finally an explanation of "Quantum Dots".

I understand where you're coming from - but you sounded like a jerk to Lloyd and really, aren't all these QHD, HD, 4k just "buzzwords" and marketing terms anyways?

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Used to be all into ARM tablets since they had the fanless, performance, pen, weight and cost advantages but now seeing myself moving all into Windows tablets/hybrids since those advantages are erased. Given everything is even I'd go with the major advantage of having access to the greatest selection of professional software and a full performance browser for web based apps vs individual apps. Never was sold on having to use an app to access a web site. Now waiting for the day when my phone can run full Windows software.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Used to be all into ARM tablets since they had the fanless, performance, pen, weight and cost advantages but now seeing myself moving all into Windows tablets/hybrids since those advantages are erased. Given everything is even I'd go with the major advantage of having access to the greatest selection of professional software and a full performance browser for web based apps vs individual apps. Never was sold on having to use an app to access a web site. Now waiting for the day when my phone can run full Windows software.

I much prefer using an app to a website.

Different strokes I guess.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I just want to point out this line in the wikipedia article:

"LG and Samsung announced the release of their line of quantum dot TVs at CES 2015 in early January 2015."

Based on this source:

http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-leaps-quantum-dot-rivals-with-new-tv/

Soooooo.......

Also #2 in this article.

And finally an explanation of "Quantum Dots".

I understand where you're coming from - but you sounded like a jerk to Lloyd and really, aren't all these QHD, HD, 4k just "buzzwords" and marketing terms anyways?

Sorry to again burst a bubble but those are simply qd's being used as backlights or color filters. They're still LCD displays, not qd displays. Your own article says as much in the opening statement:

Samsung is widely expected to launch a line of LCD TVs with "quantum dot" technology at CES 2015, but LG has pipped it to the post with the first official announcement.

And no, they aren't just marketing buzzwords. OLED is an actual thing completely separate from LCD. It's an emissive technology that uses no backlighting as the OLED materials generate light themselves. The other items are just buzzwords and marketing-speak which is why I was clarifying - I was hoping a technically-astute audience like in here would appreciate the accuracy.

"LED display" = LCD with an LED backlight
"QD display" = LCD with a QD backlight or color filter
"OLED display" = Entirely new and better display technology that in addition to surpassing anything before it (pixel response .02 ms, refresh rates 600Hz and above, infinite contrast ratio) will also enable new form factors (bendable, rollable, transparent) not possible with other technologies. In addition it will also be replacing fluorescent and incandescent lighting very soon (fixtures already for sale but price is still high).

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/future-airplanes-might-replace-windows-oled-screens

Future Airplanes Might Replace Windows With OLED Screens

flight-concept-04.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2015/01/05/what-you-need-to-know-about-oled-lighting/

OLED can be used as wallpaper or on the ceilings to provide ambient lighting instead of needing light to come from point sources like incandescent, LED, and fluorescent are today.

walls-of-light.jpg

http://www.fubiz.net/2013/01/16/audi-oled-lighting/

Audi OLED Lighting

Audi-OLED-Lighting8-640x452.jpg

UDC (OLED) shows off flexible lighting panels 4 years ago...

http://youtu.be/CURjFAugGGo

udc-light-oled-ring-side-2011.jpg

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Really hoping Samsung announce some new tablets before CES ends...

They won't, in fact Asus has and will be the only manufacture to announce any new mobile devices at CES.
But don't fret as the Mobile World Conference is held at the very beginning of March and they will ALL be launching new products there, well I assume they will as they haven't done so at CES.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
4K display are in the works, how functional I guess we will see how those go.

I noticed that the Dell Venue 8.4 7000 has been released and BB carries it for $399. Having the Samsung Tab Pro for $249, I am curious to check it out but that is about all I will do.

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I want a squared tv form factor as tablet
6/7 inches
I think manufacturers are struggling to make innovations but they take no risk at all

New form factor please

I think there are advantages to keeping the tablet the same aspect as 1080P displays. Makes them good for media consumption and high enough resolution for anything else as well.

----------

4K display are in the works, how functional I guess we will see how those go.

I noticed that the Dell Venue 8.4 7000 has been released and BB carries it for $399. Having the Samsung Tab Pro for $249, I am curious to check it out but that is about all I will do.

Which Samsung Tab Pro is that cheap? Is that a small one or the 12.2 inch one?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Sorry to again burst a bubble but those are simply qd's being used as backlights or color filters. They're still LCD displays, not qd displays. Your own article says as much in the opening statement:

And no, they aren't just marketing buzzwords. OLED is an actual thing completely separate from LCD. It's an emissive technology that uses no backlighting as the OLED materials generate light themselves. The other items are just buzzwords and marketing-speak which is why I was clarifying - I was hoping a technically-astute audience like in here would appreciate the accuracy.

"LED display" = LCD with an LED backlight
"QD display" = LCD with a QD backlight or color filter
"OLED display" = Entirely new and better display technology that in addition to surpassing anything before it (pixel response .02 ms, refresh rates 600Hz and above, infinite contrast ratio) will also enable new form factors (bendable, rollable, transparent) not possible with other technologies. In addition it will also be replacing fluorescent and incandescent lighting very soon (fixtures already for sale but price is still high).

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/future-airplanes-might-replace-windows-oled-screens

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2015/01/05/what-you-need-to-know-about-oled-lighting/

http://www.fubiz.net/2013/01/16/audi-oled-lighting/

UDC (OLED) shows off flexible lighting panels 4 years ago...

http://youtu.be/CURjFAugGGo

So differentiation between an LED and LCD display is ok, but not using the term "QD Display"?

Last I checked, most of us "simple folk" consider a display to be the entirety of the apparatus.

So an LCD with a QD layer between the backlight and LCD layer should have a different name - hence QD Display.

Look, there's nothing fishy going on here. I get what you're saying. But there was no reason for you to be a jerk about when you're splitting hairs. I wasn't trying to say anything contrary to the facts you've presented above (that a QD display is an augmented LCD display). But there IS a differentiation to be made between traditional LCD displays and those utilizing QD tech. The distinction is simply to call them QD Displays.

The technically astute will understand a QD Display is an augmented LCD display just as they understand the same about an LED display.

Are you the inventor of OLED tech? Seems like you're awfully defensive about making sure we all know its in a category of its own....

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
So differentiation between an LED and LCD display is ok, but not using the term "QD Display"?

Last I checked, most of us "simple folk" consider a display to be the entirety of the apparatus.

So an LCD with a QD layer between the backlight and LCD layer should have a different name - hence QD Display

No I don't agree - both LED and qd are simply changing the back lights or color filters for LCD TCVs. Thus they are just LCD TVs. Calling them other terms implies to uninformed consumers that they're getting some new technology, when the manufacturers are simply putting lipstick on the LCD pig.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No I don't agree - both LED and qd are simply changing the back lights or color filters for LCD TCVs. Thus they are just LCD TVs. Calling them other terms implies to uninformed consumers that they're getting some new technology, when the manufacturers are simply putting lipstick on the LCD pig.

But, it is different technology that makes a difference in the quality of the picture....

Seems like you have some investment in OLED vs LCD. Whatever man. LED is not the same as traditional LCD which is not the same as QD. Regardless of whether or not they have similar aspects, there is different technology involved.

Again, a display is more than the LCD panel. If different technologies can be applied to the backlight or middle layer to augment the picture, bravo. It should be characterized as different.

If I called it a QD LCD or LED LCD would that appease you? Please.....

Are you equally as outraged that we characterize a picture that never even reaches 4000 pixels horizontally "4k" TV?

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Are you equally as outraged that we characterize a picture that never even reaches 4000 pixels horizontally "4k" TV?

Yes I am. The entire idea of "4k" (aka 2160P) is pointless. There's no media for it, no streaming or TV service for it and you have to sit less than 5 feet from a TV to even discern the difference between 2160P and 1080P.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yes I am. The entire idea of "4k" (aka 2160P) is pointless. There's no media for it, no streaming or TV service for it and you have to sit less than 5 feet from a TV to even discern the difference between 2160P and 1080P.

Haha, well at least we agree on something! Cheers

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think there are advantages to keeping the tablet the same aspect as 1080P displays. Makes them good for media consumption and high enough resolution for anything else as well.

----------

Which Samsung Tab Pro is that cheap? Is that a small one or the 12.2 inch one?

Wrong description, sorry to mislead. It is the Galaxy 8.4 Pro available for $199.99 recently at Best Buy.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
funny thing is friend is at CES and they have 8K TVs there, 4K is basically useless and northing really for it or will be for quite awhile and even then who sits a few feet from their TV lol, which is about the only way to discern the pixel difference. And yet they have 8K in the works already lol

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
funny thing is friend is at CES and they have 8K TVs there, 4K is basically useless and northing really for it or will be for quite awhile and even then who sits a few feet from their TV lol, which is about the only way to discern the pixel difference. And yet they have 8K in the works already lol

That is crazy overkill there. :p

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012

8K TVs is nothing new. They were already available 2 years ago when I went to NAB.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Well CES 2015 was a major disappointment for tablets compared to CES 2014. :(

I Expected Samsung to announce new tablets and i was expecting more Windows 8 tablets with M Core CPU but we only saw ASUS announce Windows 8 tablet with M Core CPU.

I Really had BIG expeactions for tablets at CES 2015 but i am very disappointed.

They won't, in fact Asus has and will be the only manufacture to announce any new mobile devices at CES.
But don't fret as the Mobile World Conference is held at the very beginning of March and they will ALL be launching new products there, well I assume they will as they haven't done so at CES.

I am not holding my breath for Mobile World Congress as it was NOT great for tablets at Mobile World Congress last year(2014).

The future of tablets looks bad which is a big shame as i really like tablets and i think tablets are the future of computing for casual use and even for business/professional use.... :( :( :( :(

Why do people/manufacturers waste there time making smartwatches and phablets as they are a fad in my opinion.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am not holding my breath for Mobile World Congress as it was NOT great for tablets at Mobile World Congress last year(2014).

The future of tablets looks bad which is a big shame as i really like tablets and i think tablets are the future of computing for casual use and even for business/professional use.... :( :( :( :(

Why do people/manufacturers waste there time making smartwatches and phablets as they are a fad in my opinion.

Well Audi showed a nice and clever android tablet, I did see some new Windows tablets at CES too from Asus etc so I got it wrong and their were some tablets announced.
I don't think they are going anywhere, but yes they are battling with the phablets of the world, however I think tablets would be around a lot longer after people get bored of phablets and more and more people are replacing their computers with them.

So I would fully expect a flood of new ones at MWC and through the year. I've typed this on my tablet and reach for it over my phone.

I bet this year we will see a large IPad and a large Sony tablet and a new version of the large Galaxy tab Pro 12" as well as the smaller tablets being refreshed.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
8K TVs is nothing new. They were already available 2 years ago when I went to NAB.
Meant the 8k tv there was a 120" Sammy for sale for $500k lol. NAB 2013 was just talking about 8K, think 14' is when they demo'd some stuff as 13' was 4k demos from their release statements. Either way, just kinda funny as 4K is about as useful as a square tire today, 8k were like 15 years off from broadcast in that range. But I'm sure next year they'll demo 16K.... might actually be available by the time I'm 60 in another 30 years lol ;):D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.