Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/intel-compute-stick/

intel-compute-stick-2015-01-07-01.jpg

Your Chromecast key may be able to play Netflix, but can it play Crysis? Intel's HDMI Compute Stick probably can't either, but the tiny device does have enough power to run Windows 8.1 apps on your TV. Intel has rather impressively crammed in a quad-core Atom CPU, 32GB of storage and 2GB of RAM, along with a USB port, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 support and a mini-USB connector for power (HDMI power will come later). "But why?" you might ask. Intel sees it as a low-priced computer or (pricey) media stick, or even a thin-client device for companies. To up the crazy factor, it may eventually launch a much zippier Core M version. The Windows version will run $149, and if that seems a bit much, a 1GB RAM/8GB memory Linux version is priced at $89. Both will arrive in March.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
damn, one of these can replace a HTPC? maybe I wont buy a fire tv or tv stick after all..

not exactly sure what "8.1 apps" are available, does xbmc count?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It's so bulky (stress on HDMI port?) and requires external power that you're better off with a NUC type device with better specs. Even on a 4GB DRAM Intel device I have to be selective with what I run like IE over preferred Chrome so it's hard to imagine the restriction of only 2GB.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I think all of these HDMI dongles will require external power until they're based on an HDMI protocol version that includes power consumption and the TVs themselves must support it too..or am I off base?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It's so bulky (stress on HDMI port?) and requires external power that you're better off with a NUC type device with better specs. Even on a 4GB DRAM Intel device I have to be selective with what I run like IE over preferred Chrome so it's hard to imagine the restriction of only 2GB.

You can use a HDMI extender if too bulky is a problem.

They do mention ... (HDMI power will come later). I don't even mind external power when talking about a full OS, with BT and USB port.

A basic Windows license alone cost close to $100. So this is a good deal if you choose that version.

I doubt this first edition intended to be a workhorse or replace the more pricey and bigger NUC(at the similar specs). But it's an amazing start.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
It's a great idea. Long overdue.

It's kind of like a Mac Mini is certain regards, but much cheaper and a fair bit smaller too.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Unlikely given the CPU / GPU power. Unless were talking very basic stuff.

Absolutely, if we are only talking about this specific model. I was thinking broader scope. I can see these things eventually replacing the Xbox/PlayStation in a lot of family rooms.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Absolutely, if we are only talking about this specific model. I was thinking broader scope. I can see these things eventually replacing the Xbox/PlayStation in a lot of family rooms.

Maybe far into the future because the latest Intel 14nm fanless Broadwell can barely maintain 30fps at 720p low quality.

I'd rather see Intel focus on the new smaller NUC with Iris graphics that's much more usable but make the cost more competitive at ~$300 vs $450.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Unlikely given the CPU / GPU power. Unless were talking very basic stuff.

You would be surprised what the GPU on the baytrail chip can run, I ran some fairly hefty games on my baytrail tablets at lower resolution and all lowered settings.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
There is a thread on a gaming forum I read where people are posting videos of running pc games on these cheap $100 windows tablets, it is impressive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.