Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Hello All, I recently bought an iPad mini to use for recording my music whilst on the road in India, but I need to backup my work. I'd like to backup entire Garageband projects, not just exported audio files. Trying to do this via iCloud or email isn't an option, given the files sizes and poor connection speeds. I thought using an external WIFI disk would be the best option but after doing a little research it looks like this isn't as straight forward as I'd hoped. If anyone can provide a solution I'd be forever grateful. Hoping someone can help.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Only thing I can think of is to backup your iPad to a computer with iTunes. That backup would contain your GarageBand projects. Not ideal, I know, since you can't just restore the GB Projects, you'd have to restore the entire iPad.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Hi Night Spring, many thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it, but sadly this isn't going to work for me. I'll be working on my projects daily so I need to do regular backups. Also I can't carry another computer around with me just for backups, so I'd have to rely on whatever machines are available to me in internet cafes. Just not practical. I fear my brand new shiny iPad Mini Retina 128GB is completely useless. Thanks to Apple's continued and unfathomable policy of not providing any expandable storage options for the iPad, what could be an incredibly versatile and powerful tool is nothing more than an expensive gimmick.

I'll have to start researching Jailbreak options :-/

But thanks again for the reply :)

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
If you could backup your projects to a computer you wouldn't need to do an entire backup of your ipad. With a 3rd party manager like itools you could access your projects here: garageband>library>Application Support>Documents

Other than that, if you dont want a wifi hard drive you could transfer your projects to another idevice via airdrop.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion Sydde, but again this isn't gonna work for me. I'll be recording lots of large multi-track audio projects and the WIFI connections in India just aren't reliable enough to support this kind of online backup. That's why I can't use iCloud.

Matraco, you may have just saved my sanity :) Perhaps my original post wasn't very clear, I DO want to use an external WIFI hard drive. That's exactly what I had in mind when I purchased the iPad. I couldn't find an app that would let me do it. I'll seek out iTools right away. So with this I can copy my projects to my external device...and in the event of a system failure, just copy them back to the original source folder and everything will work OK?

As for using Airdrop, I don't have any other Apple devices, but I appreciate the advice.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Oh dear. My celebrations might have been a bit premature. I think I misunderstood. I thought iTools was an app I could load on to my iPad and then use it to copy my Garageband projects over to an external WIFI device, but I see it's Windows software. Still, it could be an option - just not ideal.

I'm travelling light so ideally I was looking for a way to back up my projects using just my iPad and an external WIFI drive. I'm beginning to realize the sad and frustrating truth about all this.

...but a big thanks for all your suggestions. I'm still holding on to a thread of hope ;-)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
FileBrowser is an iPad app that can access NAS. I know that you can send Pages documents to it, not sure about GB, but probably.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Thank you once again Sydde :) I did look at FileBrowser but I don't think Garageband projects were mentioned in it's list of accessible files. I'll definitely check again though. Fingers crossed. I can't try it out because I'm in India and my new iPad is waiting for me back home. I fly home in February. Plan was to go home, pick up my iPad and hit the road again to record my demo. At this rate it'll never leave the box. I'll just sell it factory sealed :-/ so sad. I was so looking forward to getting creative with my new bit of tech. Good job India teaches you to laugh in exasperating situations.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It occurs to me that the problem is with the way Apple designed GarageBand, not a problem inherent with the iPad itself. Perhaps there are apps other than GarageBand that you can use for your audio projects, that will let you do your thing, AND let you export the projects to wifi hard drives?

I'm not saying such an app exists, because I have no idea about audio apps, but could there be such a thing?

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Once again, a huge thank you for your suggestions. Jessica/Night Spring I think you're right - perhaps using a different DAW is the only way to go. It's still a terrible shame because Garagaband is the only reason I bought the iPad. I only travel with a very small guitar so the Smart Instruments in Garageband were a huge draw for putting together a demo. I can see I'll be working with Garageband to take advantage of the Smart Instruments...then exporting those tracks as audio files, then importing those audio files in to another DAW...and from there exporting....oh god. I'm tired already. What a ridiculous situation :-D

Also, Jessica, perhaps you can clarify something for me. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at when you say you can't use "open in" with Cubasis. Do you mean if I store a project on external drive, I won't be able to open it on the iPad with Cubasis? Sorry if this is a naive question. Despite being an IT professional in a previous life, I'm pretty new to Apple products and it seems like there's a whole new set of rules to learn.

And yes Night Spring, you're absolutely right, the issue is with Garageband not the iPad, but I still blame Apple. Well no, I blame myself for crediting Apple with anything but greed and devisive marketing tactics.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Also, Jessica, perhaps you can clarify something for me. I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at when you say you can't use "open in" with Cubasis. Do you mean if I store a project on external drive, I won't be able to open it on the iPad with Cubasis? Sorry if this is a naive question. Despite being an IT professional in a previous life, I'm pretty new to Apple products and it seems like there's a whole new set of rules to learn.

You cannot export a project file to a separate app like Documents by Readdle. You can however do this with other files within Cubasis.

If you could, it would be easy enough to either push it directly to a wifi drive's app, or something like Documents where you can connect to the drive via that and send it over.

Cubasis is setup so it can open accept a project from another app. So it really makes no sense why they wouldn't have the "Open In" feature enabled for it.

But yeah, look around. You might end up spending an extra $50, but that's pretty normal for this stuff. If you happen to like some things from GarageBand, that's easy enough to record into whichever other program with Audiobus too.

The developers are very good about posting documentation on their websites too BTW, so don't feel like you have to guess at what you're getting.

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Thanks for the clarification Jessica. Much appreciated. And thanks for the Audiobus tip ;-) very useful.

I've emailed the FileBrowser people to ask if their app will grant me access to GB project files. If this is possible it'll be the neatest solution for me. I'll post their reply when I receive it.

Thanks again

Mandody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Well, here it is :

"Each app on the iPad is sandboxed within its own folder and apps are not permitted to directly access the contents of other apps. Apple provide the Open In mechanism to pass a file from one app to another, but this will only allow a single file to be passed to another app, such as FileBrowser, at a time. I’m afraid that FileBrowser will not be able to browse into the Garageband app and copy multiple files at a time."

Oh well :-(

Any other suggestions will be gratefully received.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Well, Garageband Project is a big file. Of course it wont work via iTunes File Sharing. It only works by the word " Full Backup" in witch is an option inside the iTunes, so if you work or edit your project every single day you should do a Backup at least every week. Otherwise if your last Backup was from 3 months ago, then you bought at new iPhone then your latest Garageband Project would also be 3 months ago... not the present one. So be sure to backup.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Well, Garageband Project is a big file. Of course it wont work via iTunes File Sharing. It only works by the word " Full Backup" in witch is an option inside the iTunes, so if you work or edit your project every single day you should do a Backup at least every week. Otherwise if your last Backup was from 3 months ago, then you bought at new iPhone then your latest Garageband Project would also be 3 months ago... not the present one. So be sure to backup.

Well done, you, for opening a 5 year old thread ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.