Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
"An active shooter is defined by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as "an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearm and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims."[1] Within the last five years, there have been at least 14 prominent, high-casualty producing active shooter incidents."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_shooter

While it doesn't really go into it active shooter tend to be moving from target to target vs. going in shooting someone then grabbing a person and negotiating, barricading themselves in or sniping.

I agree though there is no such thing as a passive shooter

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I think the adjective "active" (as in "active shooter") is intended to indicate that the person is currently engaged in the commission of his (or her) crime. Once the shooter is killed, is taken into custody, flees the scene, or otherwise ceases to be a threat, then they are no longer "active."

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I think the adjective "active" (as in "active shooter") is intended to indicate that the person is currently engaged in the commission of his (or her) crime. Once the shooter is killed, is taken into custody, flees the scene, or otherwise ceases to be a threat, then they are no longer "active."

If one is shooting, then one is a "shooter"; the "active" is redundant. If one is not shooting but is barricaded or has hostages, then one is an "armed suspect" or "armed intruder". We can attribute "active shooter" to the devolution of the language in the 21st century.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
"Active shooter" is an important-sounding buzzword(s), that's all.

However, language is always evolving (not devolving) so at some indefinite point that will become an official noun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.