Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
I am sure that CSS is great for webdesign and it can do all sort of fancy things, but I just feel like pushing it down a flight a stairs!

I am trying to get back to doing some websites, and knowing tables are passé, I am trying to use CSS divs to position my elements, but going back to tables is so tempting...

Here is what I want to do:
Fiddle

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this with divs.

Any help ?

Jamesbot

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
CSS grid frameworks make this easy. There are many to choose from, just pick the one you like best.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Reference: stair pushing. I've fallen and I cannot get up!!

First, build your site structure without thinking about design.

I'd build divs inside each section... sheesh... this is hard to explain
Code:
<div id='page'>
  <section class='sidebar-left'>
    <div id=''>111</div>
  </section>
  <section class='content'>
    <div id='222'>222</div>
    <span id='555'>555</span>
    <span id='666'>666</span>
  </section>
  <section class='sidebar-right'>
    <div id='444'>444</div>
    <span id='777'>777</span>
    <span id='888'>888</span>
  </section>
</div><!--end_page-->

Actually, depending on content I could use classes and ids. I'd try to keep it structurally agnostic so that I could possibly remove the 'sidebar-left' in a small mobile device view, and move the 'sidebar-right' underneath the 'content'... all with CSS. Or a million different ways to display the content with different devices.

Then style them with CSS; the part you are having trouble with.

You could float=left 'sidebar-left' and float=right 'sidebar-right', but I'd recommend using display='inline-block' for all sections with a width of something like 30% for each, centered within the 'page div'.

There's a million ways to do this... without knowing the purpose or platform, I can only reproduce your example ( without the table borders - if you need those I think you can handle it )
Code:
.sidebar-left,.content,.sidebar-right{
    display:inline-block;
    width:30%;
}
.sidebar-left{
    vertical-align:top;
}

Example:
http://jsfiddle.net/2ne588gp/1/

Last edited:

droplink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
CSS grid frameworks make this easy. There are many to choose from, just pick the one you like best.

Thanks, I have searched for a few, but they were not up to my liking :)

First, build your site structure without thinking about design.

I'd build divs inside each section... sheesh... this is hard to explain
Code:

Actually, depending on content I could use classes and ids. I'd try to keep it structurally agnostic so that I could possibly remove the 'sidebar-left' in a small mobile device view, and move the 'sidebar-right' underneath the 'content'... all with CSS. Or a million different ways to display the content with different devices.

Then style them with CSS; the part you are having trouble with.

You could float=left 'sidebar-left' and float=right 'sidebar-right', but I'd recommend using display='inline-block' for all sections with a width of something like 30% for each, centered within the 'page div'.

There's a million ways to do this... without knowing the purpose or platform, I can only reproduce your example ( without the table borders - if you need those I think you can handle it )
Code:

Example:
http://jsfiddle.net/2ne588gp/1/

Ahhh!!! Now that is what I want to build!
I could steal your code and be dune with it, but I want to understand it :)

What is this ?
Code:
.sidebar-left, .content, .sidebar-right
I am unfamiliar with that writing ?

Here is my previous meager attempt:
http://jsfiddle.net/w7urw1uc/

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What is this ?
Code:
.sidebar-left, .content, .sidebar-right
I am unfamiliar with that writing ?

This is CSS shorthand.

In this case I shortened the code by comma separating the values and gave them all the same styling. I could have done it this way as well:
Code:
.sidebar-left{
}
.content{
}
.sidebar-right{
}

My structure comment ( after looking at your example ):
<div> is a block element; kinda like a <p> or <h1>
<span> is an inline element.

Try not to <div> your page to death. It just takes a little practice, but structurally your page would have been better served using <span> for the <div class='item'>. Please take my meager advice with a HUGE grain of salt, as there are literally hundreds of ways to do this. As long as you understand it and the job gets done, no one really cares how pretty code behind the vail is.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.