Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I hooked my new Mini up tonight to my dual displays, one via HDMI and the other via a MDP to HDMI adapter to HDMI. I immediately noticed that one of the screens was darker than the other. Is this typical behavior between these 2 ports?

In case it matters, my Mini is the new base model with integrated graphics.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Any difference in color you are detecting is not a results of which video interface you are using. They will all produce an identical signal..

I suspect your monitor has a different setting depending on which input is in use. Check that first.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Any difference in color you are detecting is not a results of which video interface you are using. They will all produce an identical signal..

I suspect your monitor has a different setting depending on which input is in use. Check that first.

The monitors are configured identically. I had them hooked up to a PC previously and did not experience this.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I hooked my new Mini up tonight to my dual displays, one via HDMI and the other via a MDP to HDMI adapter to HDMI. I immediately noticed that one of the screens was darker than the other. Is this typical behavior between these 2 ports?

In case it matters, my Mini is the new base model with integrated graphics.

Bit of a thread dig, but I just switched from using mini display port to HDMI with my Dell U2414H and also noticed this.

Greys are a little darker over HDMI.

I checked all settings are identical, and I have forced RGB over HDMI.

Anyone else notice this?

I have a 2012 Mac mini.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For a brief couple of days, i had a 2011 mini with two identical HP Z24i displays. One connected via DisplayPort (mDP-to-DP) and the other connected via Apple's HDMI to DVI adapter. Both demonstrated equal calibration/brightness/greyscale.

I'm now using a 2014 mini with the same two monitors, each connected to separate TB/mDP ports via mDP-to-DP cables. Still both displays show equal calibration.

Perhaps it's a quirk of the adapter you're using? Do you have another you can try or borrow?

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
For a brief couple of days, i had a 2011 mini with two identical HP Z24i displays. One connected via DisplayPort (mDP-to-DP) and the other connected via Apple's HDMI to DVI adapter. Both demonstrated equal calibration/brightness/greyscale.

I'm now using a 2014 mini with the same two monitors, each connected to separate TB/mDP ports via mDP-to-DP cable. Still both displays show equal calibration.

Perhaps it's a quirk of the adapter you're using? Do you have another you can try or borrow?

I have the HDMI to DVI adapter, but my monitor doesn't have DVI.

I'm using an Apple HDMI cable, the only other cable I have is mDP to DP.

One theory I have is that I am now using the generic drivers from the patch-edid.rb file, it's not recognising my monitor anymore. Maybe that's causing it?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have the HDMI to DVI adapter, but my monitor doesn't have DVI.

I'm using an Apple HDMI cable, the only other cable I have is mDP to DP.

One theory I have is that I am now using the generic drivers from the patch-edid.rb file, it's not recognising my monitor anymore. Maybe that's causing it?

Just to be sure, are they both set to use the same display profile in System Preferences under Displays?

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Just to be sure, are they both set to use the same display profile in System Preferences under Displays?

Yes, same display profiles. They loaded automatically when the display was connected under mDP.

With the RGB override in place, OS X can't see the monitor information anymore though.

Just wondering if there are settings behind the display profile that influence what you see. For example the RGB setting has nothing to do with the display profile.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I'm now using a 2014 mini with the same two monitors, each connected to separate TB/mDP ports via mDP-to-DP cables. Still both displays show equal calibration.

I second this. I have two Dell 2410 displays on this Mini, one HDMI-DVI and the other MDP/TB-DP. There is no visible difference in brightness, saturation or color rendition.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I second this. I have two Dell 2410 displays on this Mini, one HDMI-DVI and the other MDP/TB-DP. There is no visible difference in brightness, saturation or color rendition.

It could be my eyes fooling me, because originally I was on YPbPr colours.

I guess the true test will be when I get my second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.