Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prisowner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Hi!

I have a mid 2011 macbook pro running os x yosemite on it.
Yesterday when booting up my macbook pro I encountered the flashing question mark folder. So I did some research about it and tried some tips. When holding cmd+R I only get the option 'internet recovery' but it won't connect to my wifi even though i'm right next to the router. So I waited till I came home to try and boot from my snow leopard installation disc (the original one). This time the Apple logo came on with the loading circle and it stopped right there. I restarted the macbook and it gave the yosemite loading bar and everything worked fine again.

This morning however, I needed once more to force my macbook to shut down (this seldomly occured until yesterday). So I tried again to boot from the installation disc but it's not working this time.

Anyone knows what I might be dealing with?

Thanks in advance!

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
If your 2011 is a 15 or 17 inch model, it could be the dedicated GPU failing. A fairly common ailment, on 2011's, with a variety of symptoms. Do a search on "Radeongate".

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
It could be the GPU that the 2011 models have an issue with, or it could be the SATA cable that connects the hard drive to the logic board. It's a flimsy cable that can fail just by carrying your MBP in a bag often. I had thought they had fixed the design flaw for the 2011 and 2012 models, but recent posts tell me otherwise. That irks me because I had that problem with my mid-2009 model. Unfortunately for me it was a recurring problem until I retired the machine as a desktop replacement in favor of a late-2013 rMBP.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The flashing question mark folder has nothing to do with Radeongate. It is down to some sort of problem with loading data from the hard drive. This could be down to SATA cable faults or a problem with the drive itself.

prisowner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks for the information guys! After some more research I think it is the cable that is failing, especially because the mbp sometimes does find the hard drive. Ordering a new cable right now. Hope this will help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the information guys! After some more research I think it is the cable that is failing, especially because the mbp sometimes does find the hard drive. Ordering a new cable right now. Hope this will help!

Are you sure its the cable and not the drive itself? Cables tend not to fail.

prisowner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Well i'm not entirely sure, but there are a lot of things that point in that direction. I travel a lot with my mbp in my backpack, on occasion it finds my hd and I've read a lot of posts where people with early 2011 mbp's have the same problem so it's worth a shot I think.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Are you sure its the cable and not the drive itself? Cables tend not to fail.

Considering the number of people that have reported bad cables, I'd lean that way. It's cheaper than a new drive so definitely worth a shot to replace the cable first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.