Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HARDWARRIOR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hi
Recently noticed vertical blue tinted line on screen of my iPhone5. Better seen under low angles: it does not have clear edges and has kind of brush texture) When turned off - nothing can be seen. Screen surface is ok.
This issue driving me nuts when reading dark text on white background.
Any idea what it might be? Backlight failure?

Attachments

• tst2.png
    tst2.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 123
  • tst3.png
    tst3.png
    1 MB · Views: 142

HARDWARRIOR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Just curios what can it be? May be somebody saw something like this?
Phone did not take any serious damage. I'm wearing it in front pants pocket, so no pressure on it. Though it dropped recently on floor while hanging on thunderbolt cable that was passed to me) But there was even no scratch. So I did not pay attention. Also I can't say that right after that fall it got that blue line

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just curios what can it be? May be somebody saw something like this?
Phone did not take any serious damage. I'm wearing it in front pants pocket, so no pressure on it. Though it dropped recently on floor while hanging on thunderbolt cable that was passed to me) But there was even no scratch. So I did not pay attention. Also I can't say that right after that fall it got that blue line
I don't know. But there doesn't need to necessarily be any damage for a part to fail. Parts fail all the time for no reason. I myself am on my third iPhone 5.

In the old days of CRT monitors if you left an image on the screen for too long without changing it you could get burn-in. When that happened there was a ghost of that image that was left on the screen for too long and you could never get rid of it even though the CRT still worked.

That's just what this looks like to me. In any case, take it to Apple and ask them to check it. Checking is free and they can tell you what it might cost if it needs a repair. They won't do anything unless you authorize them to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.