Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today at CES, waterproof case maker LifeProof announced the fre Power, a waterproof battery case that provides 2,600 mAh of additional battery life.

frepower.jpg
LifeProof fre is the original four-proof case, designed for maximum protection against water, drops, dust and snow. The sleek structure includes a built-in screen protector and full access to all device features and functions. fre Power not only provides protection from the elements, but also adds an additional 2,600 mAh of battery power. The lithium ion battery doubles the iPhone 6 battery life, while smart charging technology automatically shuts the case off when the device is fully charged.
The new case is waterproof up to 6.6 feet for one hour and, when all the ports are closed, can be sealed for protection against dust and snow. It's also drop proof up to 6.6 feet and, according to LifeProof, meets military standards for shock and impact protection.

The company also announced the LifeActiv accessory line, a new set of mounts that allows owners to use their devices in multiple environments. The line includes the $39.99 Bike + Bar mount for bikes, motorcycles and more, the $29.99 Belt Clip for backpacks and hips and the $29.99 Multipurpose Mount for walls and mirrors and the Suction Mount for cars and glass.

It's unclear when the fre Power and LiveActiv accessories will launch, but LifeProof's website signals they will arrive in 2015. While the company revealed pricing for the accessories, it did not reveal pricing for the new waterproof battery case.

Article Link: CES 2015: LifeProof Announces Waterproof Battery Case

Yakuzahi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
First of all, they need to come up with the iPhone 6 Plus fre case and accessories, like the beltclip holster, and then announce new thing.

willed

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
As the owner of both a Mophie juice pack and a Lifeproof case for my 4S, this is great news. And about time! Not sure why this wasn't a higher priority for them - if you're in a situation where you need a rugged, waterproof case, chances are charging options will be in short supply too.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
As the owner of both a Mophie juice pack and a Lifeproof case for my 4S, this is great news. And about time! Not sure why this wasn't a higher priority for them - if you're in a situation where you need a rugged, waterproof case, chances are charging options will be in short supply too.

i think this is the ultimate case. Hope they make it for the 6+ by the summer!
I'll preorder it ASAP!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
So no swimming with this? Sounds like it might survive a kiddie pool for up to an hour.

So much for using the phone for sealife photos or making calls while swimming in the deep end lol.

In all seriousness, this sounds like a great case for typical accidents. Like dropping them in toilets and mud puddles, or calls in the rain. Or that inevitable important call that you've been waiting for and happens to finally come in right after you've just gotten in the showers and only just got fully covered in water.

But, I still haven't figured out why so many people lose their phones in toilets. Seems that it should be fine to single task for those couple of moments. Next we'll be stocking the bathroom vanity with a microwave oven and instant food.

At that point we're only a TV and refrigerator away from never having to leave the bathroom.

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
So no swimming with this? Sounds like it might survive a kiddie pool for up to an hour.

So much for using the phone for sealife photos or making calls while swimming in the deep end lol.

Most water-proof cases don't protect beyond 6 feet depth because the pressure will force water through the joints.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
With superstorm Sandy in recent memory, a case like this has a place, but kinda sorta. Because you'll be able to compute, but cell service could be all but unusable.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
Water resistant is a much better term, especially when talking about 6 feet.
Like my Breitling superocean steal fish is merely water resistant and at one point will let water in....at 6,600 feet.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Call me back when battery case makers create a case that is waterproof, can charge my iPhone from 0 to 100%, and uses the LIGHTNING CONNECTOR.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Still waiting for the nüüd for iPhone 6 (similar to the fre but san screen protector) and associated bike mount.

<taps fingers>

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I don't need something like this as an everyday case and I'm not sure with the 6 Plus that I need the extra battery. I do have a Phonesuit Flex XT charger.

But I would like a good rugged case so I can carry my 6 Plus in my pants pocket while I snowboard since my new jacket doesn't have a good spot.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I checked out the website and this looks awesome for what it is, but I doubt I will ever spend $80 dollars on an accessory for a phone I only keep for about a year (two at the most). I am sure for specific use cases inluding those that keep their phones longer this make more sense.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
i had a lifeproof for my 5s, and i took it snorkeling with no problems - i definitely dove deeper than 6' at times, closer to 8+.. no problems. easily in for an hour or more. a lot of the specs companies give have a lot of CYA (cover your ass) wiggle room i think. they say 6' because if it craps out at 7 they warned you. realistically it's probably speced to better.

At that point we're only a TV and refrigerator away from never having to leave the bathroom.

you don't have a TV and fridge in your bathroom?

----------

Call me back when battery case makers create a case that is waterproof, can charge my iPhone from 0 to 100%, and uses the LIGHTNING CONNECTOR.

what do you mean uses the LIGHTNING CONNECTOR ? for charging the battery pack itself? why is this such a sticking point for you? most are just generic USB, ubiquitous.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

In all seriousness, this sounds like a great case for typical accidents. Like dropping them in toilets and mud puddles, or calls in the rain. Or that inevitable important call that you've been waiting for and happens to finally come in right after you've just gotten in the showers and only just got fully covered in water.

But, I still haven't figured out why so many people lose their phones in toilets. Seems that it should be fine to single task for those couple of moments. Next we'll be stocking the bathroom vanity with a microwave oven and instant food.

To be frank I'm using my phone on the toilet sometimes, but how hard is it to NOT hold it right above the bowl? :D
At least lean forward a bit and everything that could happen when you drop it is having it fall in your pants or on the floor. :confused:

Glassed Silver:mac

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
I don't get it, how does the Touch ID function work with the case on it? Isn't it covered?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I don't get it, how does the Touch ID function work with the case on it? Isn't it covered?

Starting with their 5s-specific cases, a thin film cover will still register Touch ID through it, though they advise scanning the initial prints with the case off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.