Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I pulled this three-prong IDE LED light from an external drive enclosure. I thought it would be cool to stick it inside of some old Mac and maybe let it poke out from behind a fan or some opening.

I know I could easily stick this in a Windows PC that has those prongs right on the board, but is there an old Mac I can put this inside of? I don't want to do any rewiring, although it DOES seem as though Macs don't have these prongs right on the motherboard.

Here is the device:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.30.34 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.30.34 PM.png
    713 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.31.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.31.04 PM.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.31.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-01-11 at 2.31.13 PM.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 104

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
What exactly is that? Where does it plug into? Does it plug into an IDE port? Is it a hard drive indicator light?

----------

Oh so it looks like that plugs into a special connector on the mobo for lights. I don't know of any mac that has those ports.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I can't recall any Mac that had any kind of HDD activity light. Many of your old Mac users would enable an extension or control panel that used a little drive icon or pixel in the upper left of the screen to indicate drive activity

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I can't recall any Mac that had any kind of HDD activity light. Many of your old Mac users would enable an extension or control panel that used a little drive icon or pixel in the upper left of the screen to indicate drive activity

Whoops---I forgot to mention that it's a normal, blue, LED light. It's not a blinking activity light---rather, it illuminates to show that the external enclosure has been switched on.

----------

What exactly is that? Where does it plug into? Does it plug into an IDE port? Is it a hard drive indicator light?

----------

Oh so it looks like that plugs into a special connector on the mobo for lights. I don't know of any mac that has those ports.

I forget to mention that it's NOT an activity light, it is just a normal LED. That's what I was thinking---I hadn't seen any common prongs in my Macs and was wondering if they were just in some odd place (or if it HAS to be on the motherboard).

----------

Most hard drives have a couple of pins for attaching an activity LED.

The only other pins I see on an IDE hard drive are reserved for the Master, Slave, etc. selectors (unless those also work for LEDs).

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Most hard drives have a couple of pins for attaching an activity LED.

Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED that plugs directly into the hard drive.
Quantum Fireball has an led in the middle of the logic board.

----------

The only other pins I see on an IDE hard drive are reserved for the Master, Slave, etc. selectors (unless those also work for LEDs).

I think most hard drives actually don't... only the old ones like the Quantums. The Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED plug on the front, for a yellow LED.

----------

Whoops---I forgot to mention that it's a normal, blue, LED light. It's not a blinking activity light---rather, it illuminates to show that the external enclosure has been switched on

Well in that case just connect the LED to the power source.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED that plugs directly into the hard drive.
Quantum Fireball has an led in the middle of the logic board.

----------

I think most hard drives actually don't... only the old ones like the Quantums. The Quantum Prodrive LPS has an LED plug on the front, for a yellow LED.

----------

Well in that case just connect the LED to the power source.

In what way? I'm not looking to do any re-wiring; if so, I'd rather get better lights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.