Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfing bob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro that has never had any hardware upgraded. I recently converted to Yosemite with the help from this forum (Thanks). I am looking at 2 possible upgrades and wanted your input:

1) My HDD is 250 GB and almost 5 years old and don't know how much longer it will last. I only use about 50% of the HDD. What brand would you recommend for an SSD. Also what is involved with cloning the SSD before installation and how complicated? Can I just purchase a SATA 2 to USB cord and Transfer before installing? I do have 2 DISC that came with the laptop (Application Install and OS X Install)

2) I have read that since I have Yosemite I can now upgrade the RAM from 4 GB to 16 GB- is that worth it or just go with an 8 GB upgrade.

Thanks for any help.

Bob

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Also what is involved with cloning the SSD before installation and how complicated?
  1. Buy an external enclosure and put your old drive in it.
  2. Install your new drive in your Mac.
  3. Boot from your old (external) drive by holding the Option key on startup.
  4. Prepare your new drive by formatting it to HFS+ using Disk Utility
  5. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old (external) drive to the new (internal) drive.
  6. Boot from the new internal drive.
  7. Your now running on your new internal drive and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.
Some have encountered problems cloning from the internal to the external, then swapping them, which is why I recommend you swap them first, then clone from the external to the new internal. For more info on this: Can't Boot From Cloned External SSD
2) I have read that since I have Yosemite I can now upgrade the RAM from 4 GB to 16 GB- is that worth it or just go with an 8 GB upgrade.
It depends on your normal use. If you're not regularly maxing out the 4GB of RAM that you have, adding RAM won't produce any improvement in performance. This should help: How much RAM do I need in my Mac?

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
Do you have a 13-inch MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), or a 15- or 17-inch model? Only the 13-inch model supports 16 GB of RAM, the other two models support a maximum of 8 GB. Just something to keep in mind as you wouldn't want to purchase and install the wrong amount of memory.

golfing bob

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
I do have the 13" Mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I have also found an Apple MC731ZM 512 GB Apple SSD Drive for a great Price ($200). Will this fit my Macbook Pro?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I just upgraded a late 2009 Macbook pro, the SSD drive made a big difference. The computer had previously been maxed out on RAM. I went with an OWC SSD drive, because it is not suppose to need trim to keep top performance, although people are still debating if trim helps or not.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC
http://blog.macsales.com/27116-disable-trim-before-upgrading-to-yosemite

Another option for SSD drives I was considering is the new Angelbird for mac drives, as they fake the id of an apple SSD drive, which allows for trim to work just like a native apple SSD drive.

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/31/angelbird-ssd-trim/

I would also max out the ram if you can, although it may not help as much as a SSD drive. I tend to give my old computers to family when I upgrade, so I always like to give them stuff fully loaded so they don't have to consider it later.

----------

Oh, and I have heard sometimes with Lion or later you want to ensure that the hard drive clones both the main drive, and the recovery partition. You will want to google it to ensure that you have both on your cloned drive.

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.