Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenneyThe2nd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Help!

I just got a Yamaha RX-V377 A/V Receiver for Christmas so we could watch AppleTV in surround sound. We love it.

Except when it doesn't work.

And it's getting worse. Once we get it to work, we can't turn off any of the units (AppleTV, Receiver, or TV) because if we do, we will only get a black screen. I'm able to check the settings on the receiver through the options menu, and it will say that it is receiving 1080p from HDMI input 1 (AppleTV) but it will just say ---- on the video out.

The screen is usually black at first. If we try rebooting any one of the units, it usually comes back purple. I've been trying to keep track of everything I'm trying. I've tried powering up in order of signal chain (Power up AppleTV, wait until LED goes solid, power up receiver, wait, power up TV). That worked one time, but not other times.

Only the video is messing up. I've still got great sound coming from the AppleTV through the receiver.

Do I need better HDMI cables? Could it be my 5 year old cheap Toshiba TV? I've even gone it and told the TV to not do the thing where it shuts off whatever is hooked up to it when you turn off the TV. Still not fixed.

I've called Yamaha, but they referred me to a tech. They said it would take a few days to get a call back from them.

I'm getting a little frustrated. Please help!

Thanks!

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
Hi.
I have a similar setup, except I just purchased the 477 purely because I needed more HDMI ports. It's a really great receiver
If you connect your ATV directly to the TV using the same HDMI lead that connects the ATV to the amp currently, does it function correctly?
If not, have you tried changing the HDMI lead?
Do you have another HD TV that you could connect the ATV to using the same HDMI cable to see if it then works.
Are the Video settings on the ATV set to AUTO for now. Could be a compatibility issue if your TV doesn't support a particular HD mode that the ATV is trying to push.
Last thing to try would be a different HDMI port on the Yamaha to see if one is faulty...

bctf1

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Help!

I just got a Yamaha RX-V377 A/V Receiver for Christmas so we could watch AppleTV in surround sound. We love it.

Except when it doesn't work.

And it's getting worse. Once we get it to work, we can't turn off any of the units (AppleTV, Receiver, or TV) because if we do, we will only get a black screen. I'm able to check the settings on the receiver through the options menu, and it will say that it is receiving 1080p from HDMI input 1 (AppleTV) but it will just say ---- on the video out.

The screen is usually black at first. If we try rebooting any one of the units, it usually comes back purple. I've been trying to keep track of everything I'm trying. I've tried powering up in order of signal chain (Power up AppleTV, wait until LED goes solid, power up receiver, wait, power up TV). That worked one time, but not other times.

Only the video is messing up. I've still got great sound coming from the AppleTV through the receiver.

Do I need better HDMI cables? Could it be my 5 year old cheap Toshiba TV? I've even gone it and told the TV to not do the thing where it shuts off whatever is hooked up to it when you turn off the TV. Still not fixed.

I've called Yamaha, but they referred me to a tech. They said it would take a few days to get a call back from them.

I'm getting a little frustrated. Please help!

Thanks!

I am also having a problem with my Apple TV and RX-V377. The AVR will not recognize the Apple TV but works fine with my other components. However, If I connect the Apple TV directly to my TV, everything works fine. Any ideas?

Muttznuttz

macrumors member
May 21, 2014
London
Further to the above.... Have you tried doing a firmware upgrade on the Yamaha receiver?
I forget the process now, but it is documented.
Good luck

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I have the same setup and mine is working just fine. I would see of the HDMI cable is bad or some other cable. If none of those things help then I would try a firmware update and see if that fixes the issue. Also I would check and see what see what the output res is on the apple tv. If its set to auto, I would change it to a fixed resolution like 720 or 1080.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
If you can't get it working with the current wiring, you can plug the Apple TV via HDMI directly into your tv on another input. You can then plug the optical Audio out from the Apple TV into the receiver, and still enjoy surround sound.

This is what I ended up doing when I ran out of HDMI inputs on my receiver.

If you use a smart remote that switches inputs (like a harmony) you won't even notice the difference.

bctf1

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
I have the same setup and mine is working just fine. I would see of the HDMI cable is bad or some other cable. If none of those things help then I would try a firmware update and see if that fixes the issue. Also I would check and see what see what the output res is on the apple tv. If its set to auto, I would change it to a fixed resolution like 720 or 1080.

I would love to try updating the firmware on my RX-V377. However, I can't find a firmware download for this model from Yamaha or figure out how to check the version that is currently installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.