Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jggann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
I have been patiently waiting on a good and affordable 4k monitor for my nMP. Now that good and reasonably priced 4k monitors are starting to become available, I am still on the fence regarding whether to buy one of the new 4ks or wait a little longer to see if the Dell 5k is going to work. Since the Dell 5k is apparently shipping, or close to shipping, I am surprised I can't find any reviews of the Dell with a nMP. Does anyone have one yet?

mawyatt1

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Clearwater, Fl
I understand the Dell 5k display will not work with nMP and the new 4k Dell P2715Q has issues working at 60Hz. I also would like to know if anyone has been able to get the new 4K Dell to work at 60Hz.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
From user reports on other threads:

• The 5K monitor appears to not work in 5K dual-cable mode but does in 4K single-cable mode. A software update will be needed, possibly when Apple incorporates AMD's latest driver releasse.
  • The Dell 4K monitors all work at 60Hz on nMPs under Yosemite.

jggann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for the information....guess I'll wait a little longer to see if Apple software update comes out for 5k, but if nothing in a month or so, I'll just get 4k. Of the new 4ks which are just coming out with single panel, does anyone have information on which is best if price is not the deciding factor?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I understand the Dell 5k display will not work with nMP and the new 4k Dell P2715Q has issues working at 60Hz. I also would like to know if anyone has been able to get the new 4K Dell to work at 60Hz.

Just for the record, there's no issues with the P2715Q on the nMP. I have a pair running at 60Hz without issue.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Our 2010 Mac Pro tower is driving a Dell 5K display at 5120x2880 --- just like the iMac 5K. And when you set it to 2560x1440, it scales in 'retina' mode just like the iMac 5K.

All you need is the latest NVIDIA web driver released today, some boot-args in nvram, and a GeForce GTX 980 connected to the Dell 5K display with the dual DisplayPort cables that come with the display. Oh yes, and you need at least one finger to power cycle the display. Read all about it:

http://barefeats.com/mpt5k.html

----------

The Dell 5K monitor's mini DisplayPort cable connected our 'late 2013' Mac Pro's Thunderbolt port = 4K rez at 60Hz. We are running OS X 10.10.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.