Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Hi guys,

I got my 5K since wednesday. I was installing it ( clean install ) and it freezed completely. The machine was only 5 minutes out of the box.:rolleyes:

Now 4 days later, I want to startup my machine from sleep mode, and I just get a black screen,I could only move my mouse and caps lock light was working.

Is this a yosemite issue or an issue with the 5K?

I still have 1 week to bring it back and ask my money back.what to do?

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I don't know if it's a run of bad units. I got mine on Tuesday and have had the same or simular issue.

I have a second display hooked up through a display port cable. When using the iMac, periodically both screens go black as if it's dumping itself into sleep mode. It will stay like that until you hit the enter key on the keyboard. When the screens comes back to life, the background is sometimes changed and the dock has moved from the main 27" monitor to the secondary.

If you let the machine go to sleep, or enable the screen sleep hot corner and let the unit sleep for more than 20 minutes, it will never wake. Even a forced reset (hold the power button) will not wake it. The only option is to pull the power plug.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with apple and was determined the unit is DOA and is getting replaced. I would suggest that you follow up with apple and get the unit replaced. It clearly should not be doing what it is doing.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Definitely not normal. Try re-seating the memory modules. They could have come loose during shipment.

ChanneledDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I did this already because ive upgraded my ram yesterday with owc

You probably should have mentioned that in your original post. Bad memory modules will cause crashing and/or freezing. Try putting the original RAM back in and see if it runs normally.

If it does get OWC to replace the RAM. Otherwise, get Apple to replace the iMac as something else must be wrong.

AppleGraph

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
We had one 5k suffer from heat issues then stopped booting properly. New unit on the way supposedly.
No reason to fool around with it. Call Apple and get a new one, period

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
You probably should have mentioned that in your original post. Bad memory modules will cause crashing and/or freezing. Try putting the original RAM back in and see if it runs normally.

If it does get OWC to replace the RAM. Otherwise, get Apple to replace the iMac as something else must be wrong.

Well it already jammed when it was just out of the box ( without ram upgrade )

I removed the memory slots from owc now because the problem happened again this morning. will keep an eye on it if the problem still remains or not

I bought this machine from a webshop ( no official apple retailer), it's 600km from my house. If I claim a DOA, who is going to pay the shipping costs?me? or apple?

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
I bought this machine from a webshop ( no official apple retailer), it's 600km from my house. If I claim a DOA, who is going to pay the shipping costs?me? or apple?

My guess would be you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.