Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I say go for a chromebook. It's much cheaper than most top tier tablets (especially an iPad Air). It has a physical keyboard, which I think many pensioners may like. It has the concept of closing and opening, which many people understand. Turning off a tablet for many pensioners may be a little confusing for them.

The 1080p Toshiba Chromebook would do nicely for under $300.

If you must get a tablet, then maybe one of the the newer Kindle Fire HDX's would work since they have the live help option. They come with their own tech support, freeing your time up.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I agree with a previous poster here in that iOS ain't always as simple as it seems. Here's my story I will try to keep it short. To bypass my long winded story just head down to pros and cons.

Firstly for initial use and learning, iPad is very good. Where it gets complicated for them (my mom and dad now have iPads but struggle with things like app store, how to close multiple running apps, how to do any basic trouble shooting etc) is the app store process. Basically get used to the fact that you will always have to help them out with tech regardless of what you buy them.

Remembering passwords for apple ID, wifi, router connecting etc, regardless of what platform you buy. Explaining why you have to put in your visa info when you aren't actually PURCHASING an app etc (although I don't completely understand that myself when its a free app), explaining the app updating process etc, when you should or shouldn't update the device to the next OS, regardless of platform etc etc etc.

Pros and Cons:

In favour of iPad:

If their needs are really that simple than you should be able to dodge the beast that is known as itunes. But you will have to help them set up the device and don't even try to explain iCloud:(.

Battery life is compared to NONE. And my go to device is my tab S. I have an iPad mini and have owned iPads, and battery is a HUGE deal. So iPad shines here.

Initial monkey push button and get banana results works great with iPad. (after you set up all of the email accounts etc) which you would have to do with either platform.

Apple care with one on one etc is worth it's weight for seniors I find. Peace of mind and easy means of remedying any problems. It is also less expensive than Best Buy protection plan.

Also a good resale value if it doesn't work.

Cons: iTunes, explaining iCloud.

Android tablets:

Android is not so complicated, it has the same set up process as iPad etc.
Basically anytime you have to get a senior to jump into any app settings is like throwing a kitten into a starving dog cage. It ain't pretty, thats what a good son/daughter is there for.

The cost of a tablet can be fairly less than an iPad especially if you are not sure of your investment being received well.

Extra and cheap storage for an android tablet is nice.

Different E-readers available which can convert any type of file extension is nice if you could ever convince them to read on it. Again for both device types you would have to lead the way.

Cons: battery life and explaining anything about how to adjust settings on the device.

Again fwiw, both of my parents now have iPads and use them daily without buggering them up too badly. Every once in a while I get over to visit them to address any issues. Basically patience is your best friend regardless of what platform you choose.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Thank you very much for the effort you made with that very detailed reply Wrathwitch. I couldn't really find another thread which could help me make a decision for them but I'm sure it will help many others who also have elderly relatives with mobility issues.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
I'm very happy to say that I've bought a 16GB WiFi only iPad Air when it came back into stock briefly yesterday - I used Apple Refurbished Stock Checker and set up a VIP alert for whenever they emailed me.

Should be delivered tomorrow or Monday.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
IMO a Chromebook is simpler and better option than iPad -

- its going to be much cheaper
- keyboard + mouse is much easier to teach and more familiar than touch. esp touch keyboards and the way they obscure the screen is not easy to use
- they will not be using a ton of apps. ChromeOS has a lot of useful apps as well and the web browser is enough
- bigger screen, bigger keyboard, yet still light and lasts for hours
- tablets have a high learning curve we users don't appreciate

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
In this situation, the Kindle Fire with the Mayday feature is hands down the best. It is inexpensive, and includes free one on one support all the time. I suggest you read up on the Mayday feature if you haven't already. Your grandparents will like being guided through the solution if they have a question. And they probably will have questions.

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
After 6 weeks, and the installation of Virgin Media cable internet as opposed to the previous slow ADSL, I'm pleased to report that they've taking to it very well. Siri is a useful feature for them and as a family we've managed to find some useful apps for them all to use. They've tried Skype calls to relatives as well as online shopping, email, iMessage, banking and getting insurance quotes. The charging seems quite slow (after 2.5 hours it seemed to be stuck on 94% using the out-of-the-box Apple charger), so I'll see how it goes in the next month or so, otherwise I will try with my own iPad charger then ask Apple for a replacement charger if that's what's at fault. A few 'iPad for the elderly' books from the 'University of the Third Age' on Amazon have been a great help, although my local elderly charity charges £25 per hour for one-to-one iPad training at their home, so we're helping them as often as we can as a family. I can't see them going to or being able to get to the Apple Store One-to-One sessions unfortunately, but overall, having the iPad has really helped them for the better with many aspects of their life as they are almost completely immobile - so far, so good!

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Google, like Amazon, are in the business of gathering information about you, your preferences, and your habits.

Some poor tech-unsaavy older person would be a sitting duck for this.

I wouldn't let a Google or Amazon device connect to anything even remotely part of my life.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
iPad, no ifs or buts, my mum in her 70’s uses hers every day.

But if that’s too much, an Amazon Fire tablet would be my second choice as that’s very user friendly too.
[doublepost=1509397804][/doublepost]
Google, like Amazon, are in the business of gathering information about you, your preferences, and your habits.

Some poor tech-unsaavy older person would be a sitting duck for this.

I wouldn't let a Google or Amazon device connect to anything even remotely part of my life.

Have you checked your faraday cage and tin foil hat today? Just to make sure they are functioning correctly? Oh but then your on the internet where every single thing you do is recorded.... oh dear..... you just keep on convincing yourself Apple is good, Amazon and Google are evil...

Aaahhh dang it, I didn’t see the age of this thread and that it was only revived by the ridiculously paranoid comment above..

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I'm late to the thread, but would also recommend a Chromebook vs. an iPad.

Edit... oops, same with me that I didn't see that it was an old thread revived by a stupid comment.

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
iPad, no ifs or buts, my mum in her 70’s uses hers every day.

But if that’s too much, an Amazon Fire tablet would be my second choice as that’s very user friendly too.
[doublepost=1509397804][/doublepost]

Have you checked your faraday cage and tin foil hat today? Just to make sure they are functioning correctly? Oh but then your on the internet where every single thing you do is recorded.... oh dear..... you just keep on convincing yourself Apple is good, Amazon and Google are evil...

Aaahhh dang it, I didn’t see the age of this thread and that it was only revived by the ridiculously paranoid comment above..

I didn’t say Apple was good, try to keep up with the group.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Refurbished Air 2 with its better screen and higher RAM, for longevity and stability at a good price. You know they will expect it to last for a good 3-4 years at least. :) My MIL is 85 and she knows how to access news, emails, texts, Netflix, Hulu, Acorn, HBO Go, and Facebook. She is not technologically savvy in any sense of the word but she can manage with minimal help.

Oops Sorry just noticed this is old thread. But still stand by my suggestion.

Last edited:

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
No, you just posted paranoid drivel.

My choice. Don't like it, don't read it. Simple.

There's also an ignore feature. Try using it. You just made mine.
[doublepost=1509500957][/doublepost]
Refurbished Air 2 with its better screen and higher RAM, for longevity and stability at a good price. You know they will expect it to last for a good 3-4 years at least. :) My MIL is 85 and she knows how to access news, emails, texts, Netflix, Hulu, Acorn, HBO Go, and Facebook. She is not technologically savvy in any sense of the word but she can manage with minimal help.

Oops Sorry just noticed this is old thread. But still stand by my suggestion.

It's a good suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.