Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Okay i have not downloaded a ton of apps but did get some. But since i jail broke with Taig on 8.1.2 i have seen battery life drop faster. I get locks up all the time. I could be reading a text or a tweet and it locks up and i have to reboot. And my icon's are totally messed up with springtomize. Anyway would you just delete all the downloaded apps that i got since or is it the jailbreak?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
It's not the jailbreak...if it was, everyone would be having these issues. First steps of trouble shooting:

1) Did you update OTA?
2) Did you restore from a backup?
3) Have you tried removing any recently installed or upgraded tweaks?

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
It's not the jailbreak...if it was, everyone would be having these issues. First steps of trouble shooting:

1) Did you update OTA?

1. No was on itunes
2. I have not did a restore of late as far as i know
3. i asked so i know if i should remove the tweaks so i guess it is them ill remove them and see

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Ugggh i am such a noob i removed 1 and now no cydia how do i get it back?

----------

So what do i have to do how do i un jailbreak so i can re jailbreak which seems the fastest way to get cydia back

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014

1) Did you update OTA?

So since i messed up and took off a item that also took cydia with it then how do i get cydia back? i guess i have to erase then restore from my icloud backup?

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
You need to restore through iTunes. Then rejailbreak. You should only remove the packages that YOU installed. Not the packages that were pre-installed.

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
You need to restore through iTunes. Then rejailbreak. You should only remove the packages that YOU installed. Not the packages that were pre-installed.

Well my last backup was in iCloud so I should backup in iTunes now then erase then restore in iTunes correct

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
Is it the Jail break or the apps?

Well my last backup was in iCloud so I should backup in iTunes now then erase then restore in iTunes correct

If by erase, you mean erase all content and settings then NO. You never reset all content and settings on jailbroken phone. You need to complete a full restore in iTunes to 8.1.2. Then re jailbreak. I wouldn't restore a backup because you've mentioned all the problems you've been having. Restoring the backup will likely bring them all back.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

Not sure what package you removed but if I were you I would be VERY careful making a backup of a corrupted jailbreak because it could jeapordize your restore when you put the backup back onto your device.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. Others please correct me if I'm wrong here. I personally always restore as new and only sync content from iCloud back to my device. I never restore full backups so I admit, I'm not the most knowledgable person on this topic.

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Not sure what package you removed but if I were you I would be VERY careful making a backup of a corrupted jailbreak because it could jeapordize your restore when you put the backup back onto your device.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. Others please correct me if I'm wrong here. I personally always restore as new and only sync content from iCloud back to my device. I never restore full backups so I admit, I'm not the most knowledgable person on this topic.

Yeah i am not going to. Ill do a full restore from itunes then see what happens.

Another question before i do this. When i go to do a full restore it says all my data and media will be gone i do not want to lose my pictures and stuff lol

Last edited:

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
If by erase, you mean erase all content and settings then NO. You never reset all content and settings on jailbroken phone. You need to complete a full restore in iTunes to 8.1.2. Then re jailbreak. I wouldn't restore a backup because you've mentioned all the problems you've been having. Restoring the backup will likely bring them all back.

How would i keep my media and pictures cause a full restore gets rid of it all

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014

If i did it your way which seems to be ok how do i sync my content back from icloud?

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Did you happen to do a back up before the problems happened?

I have backups but they were after the problem since icloud backed up again i have one from mid December which would erase a lot of content.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I have backups but they were after the problem since icloud backed up again i have one from mid December which would erase a lot of content.

Your best bet is to just save everything manually (pictures by just copying them off the phone) and then do a DFU restore, set up as a new phone without restoring from icloud or itunes and then jailbreak... I've done it with every major software release and my phone actually lasts longer jailbroken now

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Well i am going to do this today but since the cydia os gone and the tweks i guess not working the phone is acting good lol so ill do a restore of 8.1.2 then copy back the stuff i want then jailbreak thanks for the help

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Your best bet is to just save everything manually (pictures by just copying them off the phone) and then do a DFU restore, set up as a new phone without restoring from icloud or itunes and then jailbreak... I've done it with every major software release and my phone actually lasts longer jailbroken now

Best advice right there.
I do the same with every major ios release or new device purchased.
Its way better to start fresh with a clean install instead of carrying over backups from a long time ago or from other previous model devices and keep inheriting back bugs and past issues.
Nothing better than setting up as new.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Best advice right there.
I do the same with every major ios release or new device purchased.
Its way better to start fresh with a clean install instead of carrying over backups from a long time ago or from other previous model devices and keep inheriting back bugs and past issues.
Nothing better than setting up as new.

Yup exactly what I do every single time. incant remember the last time I had an issue. Hell my spring to NEVER crashes either. I also only install the same small list of must have tweaks on every jailbreak which have been around for years :D

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yup exactly what I do every single time. incant remember the last time I had an issue. Hell my spring to NEVER crashes either. I also only install the same small list of must have tweaks on every jailbreak which have been around for years :D

We think alike bud.
I also stick with a same small set of well known and proven hacks for years. I don't go installing everything that's out on cydia or 50-60 packages and then wonder why things run like crap or have crashes or bad battery life.
Keeping it simple and reliable always works best. I dont need to restore my backup from my iphone 3G or 6 years worth of text messages history or stuff like that:D

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
We think alike bud.
I also stick with a same small set of well known and proven hacks for years. I don't go installing everything that's out on cydia or 50-60 packages and then wonder why things run like crap or have crashes or bad battery life.
Keeping it simple and reliable always works best. I dont need to restore my backup from my iphone 3G or 6 years worth of text messages history or stuff like that:D

Haha exactly! I just worked all day from 9am and got home right now. It's 10:59pm. I used my phone regularly throughout the day. I'm at 72% battery life with 3.5 hours usage and 14 hours standby. I never have issues with a jailbreak lol

"6 years worth of text message history"...this made me chuckle. I love wiping my device fresh as new. Feels like a new device! I only do this when its time to upgrade though. I never do it randomly. Others choose to but I can't be bothered lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.