Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
I just got a new dual band wireless router running a 2.4 ghz and 5ghz band. I am running my MacBook on the 5ghz band so then connected my ATV3 to that band as well. But home share from my Mac won't connect. I can go to all other ATV3 apps no problems. Tried all the usual turn on and off of all devices but no luck. But oddly, I changed my Mac and ATV3 over to the 2.4ghz band and home sharing became available. I have tried checking everything that I can think of but am totally stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try setting the 5 GHz band to a different channel. For a minimal amount of info, just hold down the OPT key when clicking the wifi icon in the menu bar. If you need more info, something like Wifi Explorer (App Store) can help see what neighboring access points are using.

It sounds like you've created a separate 5GHz SSID, if not, doing so will give you the ability to select which band you want to connect your device to. Anyway, after selecting a different channel, you can then set both devices to the 5 GHz band.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have created 2 separate wi-fi networks for each band, figuring I could pick which one I want on a device. Channel setting is auto, should I change it and pick a channel for each?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have created 2 separate wi-fi networks for each band, figuring I could pick which one I want on a device. Channel setting is auto, should I change it and pick a channel for each?

Just based on my own experience with both the previous gen AEBS and the current ac version, I can leave the 2.4GHz band on auto, and manually set the 5GHz band. If you hold down the OPT key while clicking on the WiFi icon in menu bar, you can hover over other access points to see what channel they're using, and help guide you to one you can set (usually setting yours to a channel "far away" from another's is a good way to start).

The app I mentioned does a more complete job of visualizing what channels and signal strength access points around you are using.

markoid63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2013
Thanks for the help, I managed to sort it out. I did a total restore on the ATV3, and it worked. Drastic measure, but solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.