Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Hi
I have been using macbook air early 2014 for 2 weeks and so far im really impresed by everything, but i have some questions:
1. This is my first mac, but not first apple item( i have iphone 5), and i really want it to be clean. No viruses etc
So far i downloaded only apps from mac os store, but i want to download from the internet app called smcfancontrol. Problem is im really worried if its 100% safe and clear.
I know that this app from creator website(eidac) should be 100% healthy, but hey there is always risk. Is it worth downloading antivir program, likw Clamxav?
2. What programs do you recommend for mac user? Some must have?
I have apps from fiplab probably, battery health, ram memoru, disck doctor and status bar.
3. Is it normal to have only 62% ram free, when using mac? I run safari, and app is showing me 62-68%.
I have 8 gb but man 4 gb? Thought mac os is not a vista :
4. My ip5 was synchronized with old pc, i synchronized ip5 with new mba, it completely deleted my music from iphone. I think there are thing left from my previous library. Where is their location? I did a new library ( cmd or ctrl + itunes click), because i dont want any thrashes from my previous library
5. Why this ifilevault is still stuck on decrypting?
6. Geberal recommendations for new user? I know its sound stupid, but im treating my mba like baby. I am opening it carefully, clean hands befote using etc.
So general tips and help about system etc would be nice help for me
Thanks for your time
Cya!

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Congratulations on your purchase buddy! May you have many happy times with your new mac :D As long as you look after it, Macs keep running for years.

I shouldn't really worry about running your Air without antivirus software installed, OS X is a very secure and stable platform, that doesn't usually get viruses.

I can personally say that smcFanControl is safe to use, I used to use it! However, if you don't mind spending $15, I would recommend an app called TG Pro. It is a brilliant piece of software that lets you monitor CPU, RAM, Hard Disk and fan speeds. I just find it a lot easier to use than smcFanControl.

I can't say I use many third party programs, but I would defiantly make sure you have iWork and iLife installed, (Pages, Numbers & Keynote) (iMove, iPhoto and Garageband)

Your Mac using 62% of your RAM is normal, OS X is optimised to use free RAM to make it run more efficiently, it frees up RAM when it needs to.

As for iTunes backups, the reason why you lost all of your music when you synced to your Mac is because you either didn't have all of your content downloaded. If you set your iPhone to sync to iTunes, and iTunes has nothing downloaded, it will wipe your phone to mach the blank iTunes if that makes sense.

I don't know anything about file vault, I have never used it haha!

i recommend that you do pair up your iPhone and Mac over Bluetooth though. This enables something Apple calls Continuity. Continuity allows you do things like start composing an email on your iPhone, and finish composing it on a Mac. You can even make phone calls and send texts using your Mac!

Hope this helps :cool:

dejoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for help - thats really helpfull for me :)
Number, pages, keynote, imovie, garage and iphotos were free to download so i got it - because why not.
Im having great fun making short vids :)
When i will have 15$ i will think about this app. But now i have spent about 6$ and i have apps that shows status of everything :)
Ps. I ordered a Brenthaven collins case for mba 13, what do you think about it?
Maybe its not cheap, but looks great :)
Once more i really appreciate your help
Ps.Hope my english works, its not my official language :D

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for help - thats really helpfull for me :)
Number, pages, keynote, imovie, garage and iphotos were free to download so i got it - because why not.
Im having great fun making short vids :)
When i will have 15$ i will think about this app. But now i have spent about 6$ and i have apps that shows status of everything :)
Ps. I ordered a Brenthaven collins case for mba 13, what do you think about it?
Maybe its not cheap, but looks great :)
Once more i really appreciate your help
Ps.Hope my english works, its not my official language :D

Awesome, they say once you go Mac, you don't go back! your case looks pretty nice, I have a 21.5 inch iMac so you can't get cases for them unfortunately.
I would check out a company called Twelfth South. They do many nice accessories for you Mac and iPhone that are made out of aluminium so they compliment the design nicely. https://www.twelvesouth.com

dejoka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for so much answers :)
I have new question
What external disc do you recommend for windows bootcamp and some programs?
I was thinking about samsung m101tcb, or wd my passport/ultra.
I think there is no need to have a disc with more than 1 gb. I just want a long life, not hot disc.
Dont want to spend more money in about 3 years.
Do you know something about running autocad on windows bootcamp working on this mba?
i5/128/8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.