Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Hello
In some cases the dongle is not detected by CAT 2, this is a known issue. I described a workaround here (GitHub.com), you can give it a try.

thanks, it works now. but only one way... from iPhone to Mac. And does not work from or to my iPad

lexR

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2013
UK
I have the modified Airport extreme + BT 4.0 LE adapter card in my 2009 cMP and have since the Yosemite beta release, a much neater and solid solution in my opinion

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I have a 2011 15 inch MBP, 2011 iMac, and a 2010 mid year Mini...out of luck in all cases. :mad:
You don't understand the chart, it's a timeline graph, so, even though those are not specifically written in, they are there...it says "Late 2009" and blue line that goes all the way to "Mid 2011" then the color changes to green. Any model in between is on the blue line, so check the blue notes.

--2011 15inch MBP: check the yellow notes.
--2011 iMac, check your system for appropriate wifi chip: either yellow or orange notes.
--2010 Mini: check blue notes.

I have a mid 2010 MBP 13, it falls in the blue line on the chart.

• Anyone here w/mid 2010 MBP 13" get a dongle, follow instructions and get it all to work?

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
You don't understand the chart, it's a timeline graph, so, even though those are not specifically written in, they are there...it says "Late 2009" and blue line that goes all the way to "Mid 2011" then the color changes to green. Any model in between is on the blue line, so check the blue notes.

--2011 iMac, check your system for appropriate wifi chip: either yellow or orange notes.

• Anyone here w/mid 2010 MBP 13" get a dongle, follow instructions and get it all to work?
Thanks for posting this. I already moved on thinking I was out of luck. I guess I need to look into compatible dongles:eek:.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Now Macs must be activated for use

More bogus Apple control. Macs need to be activated like phones.

mbain108

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
This worked perfectly for me!

This worked perfectly for me! I purchased the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) hopes to utilize Apple's handoff and airdrop features. I have the MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) running OS X Yosemite. I installed 'Continuity Activation Tool'. It was seamless. There were no hiccups and all is working like a charm!

:D

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
I got the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) and am running Yosemite 10.10.2. I tried running the CAT tool (2.0) following instructions, and after reboot it said my WiFi wasn't installed, and I didn't see Handoff in system preferences? I have an early 2011 15" MBP. Do I still need to update the internal bluetooth card too? My chipset is 2070B0

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
This worked perfectly for me! I purchased the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) hopes to utilize Apple's handoff and airdrop features. I have the MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) running OS X Yosemite. I installed 'Continuity Activation Tool'. It was seamless. There were no hiccups and all is working like a charm!

:D
Thanks for the post! ...I think I'll be ordering the same this week (that one is the one I was looking at), I'll post results after installed.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I, received the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) today (paid $12 on amz.). I have to note, before using the activation tool, I popped the dongle in and checked my system and it was seemingly running off the dongle, but, not really, I couldn't get my BT keyboard to work. I did a restart and BT was not working right, and then, using the tool, found it couldn't find the thing, so, I had to pull it out (tight fit) and when I put it back in, it recognized it immediately and ran the tool. (So, I guess it's best to not put the dongle in until you are running the activation tool?) Now, after following the instructions, it seems to be working, though I have not tried everything, but, AirDrop works now:D finally! And everything else looks good, got my "yes"'s, probably smooth sailing from here on, but, if any issues come up I will post in this thread.

-mid 2010 MBP 13" (MacBookPro7,1), stock 4GB RAM, DIY fusion drive, OS X 10.10.2 (14C94b) (latest public beta).

FYI: IOGEAR does not officially support Macs with this dongle, as Apple does not support BT via USB dongles, it only seems to work with the continuity activation tool. This is at your own risk, so, I am not recommending this. I only used the tool because it creates a backup and you are able to revert the OS to it's non-activated state (removes low-level system modifications). And, I am guessing, it would likely be best to use the remove function before updating OS X, then use the tool to activate again after the update. (Let's hope Apple doesn't do something to block the ability to do this in future update.)

So, with that said, I can recommend this particular dongle (see 1st para.), and it's a tight fit, so you can leave it in the USB slot with no worries it will fall out or get knocked out. With my particular MBP, I ended up putting it in the back USB slot, which allows some larger USB plugs to still fit in the front slot, and regular ones are fine, but, if they are bulky, they won’t fit. I have not tried putting it in USB hub, but, I’m guessing that’s not the best idea, but, I can plug most things into the hub. I’ve included a pic so you can see how it fits with a regular USB plugged in next to it (that’s for my hub).

Attachments

• IMG_4283.JPG
    IMG_4283.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I, received the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) today (paid $12 on amz.). I have to note, before using the activation tool, I popped the dongle in and checked my system and it was seemingly running off the dongle, but, not really, I couldn't get my BT keyboard to work. I did a restart and BT was not working right, and then, using the tool, found it couldn't find the thing, so, I had to pull it out (tight fit) and when I put it back in, it recognized it immediately and ran the tool. (So, I guess it's best to not put the dongle in until you are running the activation tool?) Now, after following the instructions, it seems to be working, though I have not tried everything, but, AirDrop works now:D finally! And everything else looks good, got my "yes"'s, probably smooth sailing from here on, but, if any issues come up I will post in this thread.

Thank you benji888 for your very informative post. I hope to buy a bluetooth USB adapter for my 2011 MBP. The information you have posted certainly will help with the install.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
I questioned the developer on the chart as well. The colors bands are inclusive between years. He intentionally only shows changes in type of support to declutter the chart.

jon.profeta

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
I am looking for a class 1 Bluetooth dongle for my 2010 MacBook 11" air. I have it going to 2 different tvs and the build in Bluetooth looses connection in one of the rooms. Can I just buy a 4.0 adapter and go from there?? I bought a regular one and it did not work. Lmk. Thank you. Jon.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

With which option? May, 2010 13" MBP model number MC374LL/A, this chart only shows 2009 and 2011. More info on my computer here http://support.apple.com/kb/SP583?viewlocale=en_US I would prefer to update the internal card which would make better use of the internal antenna's but I guess a dongle would work if I had to.

Thanks!
From an earlier post (just above your post on this very page):

Also see post #109 above, I did it with a BT dongle in my mid-2010 MBP 13, works great!

Before the tool 2.0 update, I was looking at what it would take to change my internal card, the newer card doesn't fit the same way in these models, and it just takes a bit too much jury rigging for me. I think the 15" of the same year has an upgradeable card, works better there.

Last edited:

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
From an earlier post (just above your post on this very page):

Also see post #109 above, I did it with a BT dongle in my mid-2010 MBP 13, works great!

Before the tool 2.0 update, I was looking at what it would take to change my internal card, the newer card doesn't fit the same way in these models, and it just takes a bit too much jury rigging for me. I think the 15" of the same year has an upgradeable card, works better there.

Thanks. If the dongle only upgrades the bluetooth, then I'm not going to bother, I don't really care about handoff, I was more interested in ac. Thanks for your help!

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
So I noticed that this needs a Kext change to function.
Does this imply that the same issues with TRIM Kext edits are here too? Resets to SMC would disable this until the edited Kext is reenabled by security defaults?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Thanks. If the dongle only upgrades the bluetooth, then I'm not going to bother, I don't really care about handoff, I was more interested in ac. Thanks for your help!
In that case, I would suggest getting this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Edimax/EW7711MAC/

Unfortunately, the 13" is not easily upgradeable like the 15". Unless you regularly work with electronics, you might not want to modify the wifi inside your mac. Instructions at Ifixit look complicated. Plus, the board for ac has different screw locations, but, if you are adventurous: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Mid_2010

I can't find it right now, but, there was a post somewhere that shows the newer airport card attaches differently, but there's a way to make it fit.

If you do it, be sure to get a card with the right chip for handoff/continuity (see thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1747240/), even if you don't plan on using it that way, otherwise, you may have other issues with BT connectivity. And, if you do it, let us know how it goes. :)

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
In that case, I would suggest getting this: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Edimax/EW7711MAC/

Unfortunately, the 13" is not easily upgradeable like the 15". Unless you regularly work with electronics, you might not want to modify the wifi inside your mac. Instructions at Ifixit look complicated. Plus, the board for ac has different screw locations, but, if you are adventurous: https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Mid_2010

I can't find it right now, but, there was a post somewhere that shows the newer airport card attaches differently, but there's a way to make it fit.

If you do it, be sure to get a card with the right chip for handoff/continuity (see thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1747240/), even if you don't plan on using it that way, otherwise, you may have other issues with BT connectivity. And, if you do it, let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks for the help and suggestions, but if its not plug and play I really don't have time for that.

zduhac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Ok. I just reinstalled fresh copy of 10.10.2 because CAT killed my wireless. (MBA 2011 13') And after uninstalling the kexts, I had other issues with App Store account, etc.

Should I wait for some kind of update, or is it safe to run it now on clean OS X?

fanno1uk

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
Hi the continuity activation tool was still installing after half an hour I then quit the program , I thpught I wud just ask here first if this is normal for it to take so long , thanks

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Hi the continuity activation tool was still installing after half an hour I then quit the program , I thpught I wud just ask here first if this is normal for it to take so long , thanks

It's unusual but it can take that long, typically when there are issues with your hard drive permissions. To get a better understanding of the issues (CAT hides all the details for simplicity's sake), you can run a repair from OS X's Disk Utility app. Then run the CAT activation again, it should be faster when permissions are already fixed.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
A question for the experts here, apologies if it's answered previously in this thread (didn't see this question):

I have a Late 2014 Mac mini which supports Handoff just fine. However, today I had to start using the IOGear GBU521 Bluetooth dongle via a USB extender cable to resolve BT interference between my Magic Trackpad and my USB 3.0 HDDs. That is all working now! However, I did lose Handoff in the process.

What I need to know is if using CAT with a white-listed/Handoff-capable Mac actually modifies system files? Or can the CAT somehow just overwrite files related to my IOGear BT dongle?

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
A question for the experts here, apologies if it's answered previously in this thread (didn't see this question):

I have a Late 2014 Mac mini which supports Handoff just fine. However, today I had to start using the IOGear GBU521 Bluetooth dongle via a USB extender cable to resolve BT interference between my Magic Trackpad and my USB 3.0 HDDs. That is all working now! However, I did lose Handoff in the process.

What I need to know is if using CAT with a white-listed/Handoff-capable Mac actually modifies system files? Or can the CAT somehow just overwrite files related to my IOGear BT dongle?
Apple doesn't officially support BT dongles, so, that is why handoff is not working for you. Using CAT would modify kext files, just as it does with my 2010 MBP. I am using a dongle (perhaps the same one), and sometimes it isn't recognized, I have to pull it out and put it back in again (it's hot swappable). Go to apple menu>About This Mac> click on "System Report" then click on Bluetooth in the left corner, check that you have 3 "Yes" (low energy, handoff, instant...), also be sure System Preferences>General allow handoff is checked.

But, firstly, one thing CAT tells you to do after it does it's thing is a restart and sign out of iCloud and sign back in. I would try the latter before anything else, then look for the 3 Yes's, if not, then go with CAT, and be sure to follow all the instructions.

When I say the dongle sometimes needs to be pulled out and back in again, this has been because I restart and shut down my Mac a lot more often with Yosemite, as it is pretty f/n buggy.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
This is still working for me with 10.10.5.

Anyone try the continuity activation tool with El Capitan beta? I'm thinking apple may be disabling kext mods w/10.11?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.