Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
So with iOS 6, my wife and I shared an AppleID for itunes and apps, so we didn't have to buy the same apps and cause we share a PC at home.

In order to have separate icloud contacts and calendars, we each had a personal AppleID for icloud.

With ios6, it let me enter the emails associated with both the shared and individual appleIDs to use with both facetime and imessage. Now it won't let me do that (says email already in use when I try to add it). I can only use the primary email address associated with the appleID I'm signed into with either facetime or iMessage.

With find my iphone, I used to have a separate icloud account, with everything disabled other than find my iphone (this let me see all of our devices in the family). We used the shared appledID for that. Now it won't let me do that.

It only allows me to associate find my iphone with the icloud account used for calendars and contacts, etc. (my individual appleID). So now I can only see my own devices on find my iphone.

So am I missing something, or is this how iOS 7 is supposed to now operate?

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So with iOS 6, my wife and I shared an AppleID for itunes and apps, so we didn't have to buy the same apps and cause we share a PC at home.

In order to have separate icloud contacts and calendars, we each had a personal AppleID for icloud.

With ios6, it let me enter the emails associated with both the shared and individual appleIDs to use with both facetime and imessage. Now it won't let me do that (says email already in use when I try to add it). I can only use the primary email address associated with the appleID I'm signed into with either facetime or iMessage.

With find my iphone, I used to have a separate icloud account, with everything disabled other than find my iphone (this let me see all of our devices in the family). We used the shared appledID for that. Now it won't let me do that.

It only allows me to associate find my iphone with the icloud account used for calendars and contacts, etc. (my individual appleID). So now I can only see my own devices on find my iphone.

So am I missing something, or is this how iOS 7 is supposed to now operate?

This is a big big miss for me as well. Surely this has been missed or is this now a "feature".

Have exactly the same situ as above, all as a family share music,apps, videos etc for our iDevices. Also have a separate iCloud for contacts, backup etc, and another iCloud for a shared use on "find my iDevice" but now can't.

Come on Apple, I'm loving iOS 7 but you've removed something that obviously lots of people use.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
This is a big big miss for me as well. Surely this has been missed or is this now a "feature".

Have exactly the same situ as above, all as a family share music,apps, videos etc for our iDevices. Also have a separate iCloud for contacts, backup etc, and another iCloud for a shared use on "find my iDevice" but now can't.

Come on Apple, I'm loving iOS 7 but you've removed something that obviously lots of people use.

Is it just the FaceTime you're having problems with. The reason I ask is I don't share IDs for FaceTime, but we have a similar setup where we share one Apple ID for music/apps and then have separate IDs for our own calendars contacts, and then a third ID for all the shared contacts and it's still working fine on the new OS, but if it's just FaceTime particularly, I can't speak to that.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I use my mac.com account for iCloud sync.

My personal domain account for Music/Store/App purchases.

Works fine here.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Is it just the FaceTime you're having problems with. The reason I ask is I don't share IDs for FaceTime, but we have a similar setup where we share one Apple ID for music/apps and then have separate IDs for our own calendars contacts, and then a third ID for all the shared contacts and it's still working fine on the new OS, but if it's just FaceTime particularly, I can't speak to that.

Its FaceTime, iMessage and Find My iPhone.

It locks you into one icloud account for Find My iPhone and one AppleID email address to use with FaceTime and iMessage (so if you have an email address associated with another AppleID, you can't use that email as an additional email contact address in FaceTime or iMessage). But you can still add different email addresses that are not associated with any AppleID.

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
Its FaceTime, iMessage and Find My iPhone.

It locks you into one icloud account for Find My iPhone and one AppleID email address to use with FaceTime and iMessage (so if you have an email address associated with another AppleID, you can't use that email as an additional email contact address in FaceTime or iMessage). But you can still add different email addresses that are not associated with any AppleID.

Gotcha. So out of curiosity, in your old setup with having more than one iMessage account linked to a given phone, wouldn't you see eachother's text messages?

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I use my mac.com account for iCloud sync.

My personal domain account for Music/Store/App purchases.

Works fine here.

You missed the point; that's not the issue here.

The issue is multiple AppleID associated email addresses used with FaceTime and iMessage (so if you have AppleID x with email y and AppleID aa with email bb, you can only use either email y or email bb -- but not both, with FaceTime and iMessage).

And the other separate issue is that you are locked into one icloud account to use with Find My iPhone.

----------

Gotcha. So out of curiosity, in your old setup with having more than one iMessage account linked to a given phone, wouldn't you see eachother's text messages?

No. My wife would use her personal AppleID for her iMessage account and her email address linked to that.

I would use my personal AppleID and my email address linked to that. I also chose to use the shared AppleID (and its email address) as an additional email for iMessage; but my wife did not use that.

Remember, under "you can be reached by imessage" you can check or uncheck the email addresses that appear there. So as long as you don't both have the same email addresses checked in there, you won't see each other's text messages.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Another thread where sharing IDs shows issues. Get your own ID; you can download your wife's purchases and she can download yours just by logging into the app store with that account. Works 100% of the time.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Another thread where sharing IDs shows issues. Get your own ID; you can download your wife's purchases and she can download yours just by logging into the app store with that account. Works 100% of the time.

But why would we want to have the pain in the neck of logging in separately, where we didn't have to do that before? By sharing an itunes account, she downloads an app and I see it instantly on my device and vice/versa. Also, there is no problem with the apps or the itunes store and sharing one ID-- the issue is using multiple apple IDs with Facetime and iMessage.

Further, your "solution" does not address the Find My iPhone issue. So now we can no longer track everyone's devices in our family -- only our own devices. Certainly, as a family, I should be able to see and find all 5 of our devices, not just my own two personal devices.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
But why would we want to have the pain in the neck of logging in separately, where we didn't have to do that before? By sharing an itunes account, she downloads an app and I see it instantly on my device and vice/versa. Also, there is no problem with the apps or the itunes store and sharing one ID-- the issue is using multiple apple IDs with Facetime and iMessage.

Further, your "solution" does not address the Find My iPhone issue. So now we can no longer track everyone's devices in our family -- only our own devices. Certainly, as a family, I should be able to see and find all 5 of our devices, not just my own two personal devices.

Use 'Find my Friends' add your family as friends. Then you can locate their devices.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

As the previous poster just suggested, Find My Friends. That's what it was designed for.

And why would you use all separate IDs? To avoid this FaceTime/iMessage hassle you're encountering. I 100% guarantee this will not happen with separate accounts.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Use 'Find my Friends' add your family as friends. Then you can locate their devices.

And.... use ONE shared apple ID (non apple email) for all family members to sign into the app store with AND every family member should have THEIR OWN icloud email (@me.com or @icloud.com) for everything else (facetime, messaging, icloud etc).

This will allow you to make one purchase on an app, song etc, and the entire family gets it. It will also allow everyone their own separate backups, messaging, facetime etc.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
And.... use ONE shared apple ID (non apple email) for all family members to sign into the app store with AND every family member should have THEIR OWN icloud email (@me.com or @icloud.com) for everything else (facetime, messaging, icloud etc).

This will allow you to make one purchase on an app, song etc, and the entire family gets it. It will also allow everyone their own separate backups, messaging, facetime etc.

Aaargh. I guess no one reads my posts carefully.

What you state is EXACTLY what we already do. We have ONE shared AppleID (non apple email) for my wife and I to buy apps. We both have our own separate AppleID/Icloud ID logins -- with a different email address -- used for facetime and messaging and icloud.

But in ios6, I could add the shared ID email address to facetime and imessage as an ADDITIONAL email address (in case someone used that to contact me). Now it doesn't allow that. Understand?

So the question is - -is this now a "feature"; is it intentional, or am I missing a set up issue. If it was changed -- why?

And before you could have two icloud accounts set up, disable find my iphone on one and use the other JUST for find my iphone. That way you could used the shared appleID just for find my iphone and see ALL devices. I don't want to track my friends and family (we just want to use one app for find my iphone).

----------

As the previous poster just suggested, Find My Friends. That's what it was designed for.

And why would you use all separate IDs? To avoid this FaceTime/iMessage hassle you're encountering. I 100% guarantee this will not happen with separate accounts.

Find my friends, per the info I just read from the app store is for tracking family and friends. It is not a replacement for find my iphone. Moreover, I should be able to use the built-in app to track all devices if they get lost or stolen (like I could in ios 6). why the change? Or is it a mess-up on Apple's part and just got overlooked?

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
But in ios6, I could add the shared ID email address to facetime and imessage as an ADDITIONAL email address (in case someone used that to contact me). Now it doesn't allow that. Understand?

Setting it up as you have in the past and would like to do sounds like a nightmare to me. But irregardless, I just went into Settings.app for both FaceTime and iMessage, and at the bottom there is an area "Add Another Email". Are you saying this doesn't work? I would test it, but I have no interest in this setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.PNG
    IMG_0136.PNG
    61.4 KB · Views: 381

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Aaargh. I guess no one reads my posts carefully.

What you state is EXACTLY what we already do. We have ONE shared AppleID (non apple email) for my wife and I to buy apps. We both have our own separate AppleID/Icloud ID logins -- with a different email address -- used for facetime and messaging and icloud.

So the question is - -is this now a "feature"; is it intentional, or am I missing a set up issue. If it was changed -- why?

And before you could have two icloud accounts set up, disable find my iphone on one and use the other JUST for find my iphone. That way you could used the shared appleID just for find my iphone and see ALL devices. I don't want to track my friends and family (we just want to use one app for find my iphone).

----------

Find my friends, per the info I just read from the app store is for tracking family and friends. It is not a replacement for find my iphone. Moreover, I should be able to use the built-in app to track all devices if they get lost or stolen (like I could in ios 6). why the change? Or is it a mess-up on Apple's part and just got overlooked?

ok... good luck

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Setting it up as you have in the past and would like to do sounds like a nightmare to me. But irregardless, I just went into Settings.app for both FaceTime and iMessage, and at the bottom there is an area "Add Another Email". Are you saying this doesn't work? I would test it, but I have no interest in this setup.

What happens is, when you try to add another email (that is associated with a different AppleID), it says "unable to verify email because it is already in use."

----------

I
We are reading your posts... they just dont make a lot of sense.

If you are sharing an email for messages, messages would goto several different people. That is probably why Apple is not allowing it.

The email is NOT being shared for messages. Only I add the secondary email, not my wife.

Again, it worked with ios6.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
What happens is, when you try to add another email (that is associated with a different AppleID), it says "unable to verify email because it is already in use."

----------

The email is NOT being shared for messages. Only I add the secondary email, not my wife.

Again, it worked with ios6.

Ok i see what your trying to do now...

Apple must sense its being used on another device and wants to avoid any problems. Is that email address a must? If so maybe you guys can change your shared apple ID to a different email to free that one up?

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
OP - I'm having the same problem.

Previously I would use my account for for "Find my iPhone" ONLY on my wife's and daughter's devices, as well as mine. (At the same time, I set up their own individual iCloud accounts for their own use for facetime, imessage, etc).

By having my account on their devices for Find my iPhone (only), I can go to Find my iphone and see ALL of our family devices with one log in.

Now I can't seem to do that. Ugh.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Ok i see what your trying to do now...

Apple must sense its being used on another device and wants to avoid any problems. Is that email address a must? If so maybe you guys can change your shared apple ID to a different email to free that one up?

Hmm, that may be the best solution for the facetime/imessage issue.

I should create a new shared email address and use that ONLY for the shared itunes account. And then I could add the address I want to use as an alternative email address to my current facetime/imessage ID.

But how do I change my Apple ID for Itunes & App store, without losing all my apps and music and movies, etc.? Do I have to do that in the itunes on my PC first? I've had the same login for so long, I'm afraid of losing everything.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Hmm, that may be the best solution for the facetime/imessage issue.

I should create a new shared email address and use that ONLY for the shared itunes account. And then I could add the address I want to use as an alternative email address to my current facetime/imessage ID.

But how do I change my Apple ID for Itunes & App store, without losing all my apps and music and movies, etc.? Do I have to do that in the itunes on my PC first? I've had the same login for so long, I'm afraid of losing everything.

you change it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621

Beware, theres no guarantee that you will be able to start using your old apple ID as it could be locked out for god knows how long. I suppose you can switch back. Another thing to keep in mind is that Apple might make you pick a stronger password. If your family is already used to a simple one, that could be an issue.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008

Add me to this. I do the exact same thing on 5 devices. Makes no sense in removing it.:mad:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Anyone found any info on this? Anyone been into an Apple store to see a genius of from phone support?

Is this just the way it is now? Frustrating as it was a great way to keep all devices under one account for find my iDevice.

ace.neerav

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
I think what the OP is trying to say is that if you have two accounts with Apple you can only use any one with iMessage and Facetime and he is right about that.

I have a separate id for icloud (which is also my communication id) and the app store (which is also my developer id and work related communications) and i cant use both with imessage and face time at the same time. Both are @icloud.com IDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.