Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I know a guy who's in tight with HTC. He spent a lot of time with them in CES (as he does every year) and I asked him for any info on this years forthcoming flagship device. Nothing earth shattering but the lack of a rear ultrapixel camera and he says it will have a smaller footprint than the M8! The focus this year is on improved battery life and improved performance.

"latest rumor is a snapdragon 810 processor, 3GB of RAM, 5 inch display, UltraPixel camera selfie cam and 20 MP camera on back"

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I know a guy who's in tight with HTC. He spent a lot of time with them in CES (as he does every year) and I asked him for any info on this years forthcoming flagship device. Nothing earth shattering but the lack of a rear ultrapixel camera and he says it will have a smaller footprint than the M8! The focus this year is on improved battery life and improved performance.

"latest rumor is a snapdragon 810 processor, 3GB of RAM, 5 inch display, UltraPixel camera selfie cam and 20 MP camera on back"

Yep sounds great. Performance was always great on the M8 & M7, so improved battery and vastly improved camera - smaller footprint but retaining great build and speakers = winner in my eyes. Definitely looking forward to the device in 2015.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I'm guessing there will be backlash because he think the screen will only have a 1080p (funny that I'm saying only!) res when everyone else is moving to a quad HD screen...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm guessing there will be backlash because he think the screen will only have a 1080p (funny that I'm saying only!) res when everyone else is moving to a quad HD screen...

As long as it's over 400dpi and of an excellent quality I'm not really concerned myself about that. Indeed it may make performance even snappier.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

I prefer 1080p b/c you really can't see much of a difference b/w it and UHD (especially on a 5 inch display) and it helps battery by quite a bit which is much more important that squeezing in more unnecessary pixels.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'm glad to here about a smaller footprint. I hope they are talking about length and width and not thickness.

In my opinion, the M7 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 were the perfect size for a smartphone. It seems like manufactures just can't help themselves when it comes to making phones bigger.

I hope HTC stays out of the phablet category of phone. I know there are a lot of people who love phablets, but it isn't everyone and that category seems saturated at this point.

I hope they concentrate on a flagship M9 and a mid-tier tablet.

The HTC Nexus 9 is a great device. But it is $600 for the 32GB + LTE version. The NVIDIA Shield table is $400 in the same configuration.

I think that HTC needs a tablet in the $300 to $400 price range.

Just offering my $0.02 on this.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I prefer 1080p b/c you really can't see much of a difference b/w it and UHD (especially on a 5 inch display) and it helps battery by quite a bit which is much more important that squeezing in more unnecessary pixels.

I agree but you know Android fan boys love their specs when it comes to phones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Seems to confirm what previously reported and discussed in this thread. I hope all of this is true as it would be close to the perfect Android handset, IMO--great HTC build materials and the best Android skin with the complete hardware package (translation--no inferior camera hardware ;)).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
As long as they are doing away with the ultra pixel camera on back, I don't really care what else they do with the phone. The camera on my M7 just totally sucks.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
As long as they are doing away with the ultra pixel camera on back, I don't really care what else they do with the phone. The camera on my M7 just totally sucks.

Agreed! The M8 was markedly better but it's not a point and shoot camera which is what most people want on a mobile device. You really had to put some time in and work at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.