Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
And larger screens is a perfect example of markets moving towards a different form factor. Is this copying? Apple wasn't first to market with a larger screen, and even defended smaller screen with the one hand argument.

WRONG! The original iPhone had a larger screen than any other smartphone on the market and was the first smartphone to use full screen for everything rather than tiny blackberry-style buttons with a smaller screen as the others did. THEN the other companies followed Apple.

Apple was also the first to come out with the largest screen notebook computer, the 17" Powerbook. Do your homework Homer. :rolleyes:

I guess you will scream,
No YOU will scream, because you were wrong.

In my humble opinion,

Yep, exactly, all of this was YOUR opinion, but I wouldn't call any of your post "humble".

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Wow!

The chromecast board looks like it was made in the 80s. If you say they're similar then there's no point to discuss anymore!

if you actually believe this trash...

you realize the "design looks" of the integrated circuitboard by any tech is irrelevant?

do you think Google, or even Apple give two flying fudges what the circuit board looks like or that it looks like it was designed in the 80's?

in fact, are you even old enough to remember what electronics looked like in the 80's?

if this is seriously the only argument you can come up with that the circuitboard looks bad, so therefore it's a bad old, and NOT a computer device... than there's really little hope for intelligent conversation with you

kdarling

macrumors P6
WRONG! The original iPhone had a larger screen than any other smartphone on the market

Almost any other. But yes, it was definitely larger than the average of the time.

and was the first smartphone to use full screen for everything rather than tiny blackberry-style buttons with a smaller screen as the others did.

I don't know where you got the idea that every other phone had a little screen and keyboard like a Blackberry. Heck, the very first smartphone in 1994 was full screen touch and had the UI for it:

1994_simon_navigator.png

By 2006, touchscreen phones made up at least 35% of the world smartphone sales market at the time, and hundreds of touch models made in the previous half decade had no physical keyboard.

What you might be trying to say, is that the iPhone was the first mass marketed reasonably priced smartphone from a well known company to go full screen touch friendly, and to get the press and public excited.

Its timing was also nearly perfect, coming right as the world's data infrastructure and smartphone market was maturing, along with the necessary device technologies.

Apple gets kudos for realizing what could be done, and doing it.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

I love how you responded, I love the detail. but we all knwo that when Henry screams "WRONG" he's usually talking about his own posts.

I can't use the word (in fear of being banned) but there wasn't a single truth to his post and everyone knows it.

But thank you for doing the analysis and details for those who will actually listen and read

For those who are more interested in apple's place in the smartphone world, They were responsible (IMHO) for breaching the chasm. The Smartphone industry had already started and was quickly heading to it's early Majority. The early adopters had already seen the benefits of mobile internet with earlier devices. the iPhone was crucial in mass market acceptance. See below for an example of this

Crossing-the-Chasm.jpg

Last edited:

BigInDallas

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Connecticut
Retina display, Digital Crown for precise zooming/scrolling without your fingers getting in the way, NFC/ApplePay, Short/long looks, Taptic feedback, Force Touch, a nifty app launcher that others can't mimic without crown-like control, advanced in-depth fitness/health software tools, novel personal communication features (taps, walkie-talkie, heartbeats, animated emojis, sketches), a gorgeous design praised by many watch enthusiasts, an incredibly simple interchangeable band system, message analysis for quick replies, a speaker phone, sapphire display, and continuity.

To name a few.

Features to which perhaps some Android Wear devices have something similar, but they're spread out among different devices and not nearly as effective or well-implemented.

Can you explain to us how you know how these features are implemented?
Do you have a prototype watch? Or are you just spouting out opinions?

----------

I hate this myth. On the contrary, alternative methods were constantly being explored.

The Blackberry was seen as a business standard, but it was just one style type. Touchscreen phones were also popular and getting more sophisticated.

Heck, the very FIRST smartphone back in 1994 was all-touch and could run third party apps. Later all-touch smartphones included swipe gestures and orientation sensors:

View attachment 524238

By 2006, it was widely predicted that capacitive all-touch smartphones would soon become popular.

View attachment 524236

In fact, months before the iPhone was shown off, a free Linux group had announced plans to build a developer's smartphone with multi-touch and pinch zoom. Some people even think Apple stole their idea (I don't):

View attachment 524237

It was all leading up to a similar slab style, and a switchover to more touch friendly UIs:

View attachment 524235

Apple's primary advantage was that... unlike major manufacturers of the time... they did not have years' worth of legacy smartphones to support. (Of course, later on, they did, and that's why it took a while to see larger iPhones.) So they were able to burst on the scene with a fresh start.

(Of course, Apple couldn't have done that without the billions of dollars and years of R&D and infrastructure building that all the other manufacturers had committed long before.)

SHHH.. We don't talk about this

Last edited by a moderator:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Almost any other. But yes, it was definitely larger than the average of the time.

I don't know where you got the idea that every other phone had a little screen and keyboard like a Blackberry. Heck, the very first smartphone in 1994 was full screen touch and had the UI for it:

View attachment 525244

By 2006, touchscreen phones made up at least 35% of the world smartphone sales market at the time, and hundreds of touch models made in the previous half decade had no physical keyboard.

What you might be trying to say, is that the iPhone was the first mass marketed reasonably priced smartphone from a well known company to go full screen touch friendly, and to get the press and public excited.

Its timing was also nearly perfect, coming right as the world's data infrastructure and smartphone market was maturing, along with the necessary device technologies.

Apple gets kudos for realizing what could be done, and doing it.

Let's not play with each other in regards to this debate. You're not proving anything by showing me a schematic diagram. Until you show a real smartphone from 1994 then you're showing me nothing but vaporware. Besides, the iPhone was the first true portable internet communicator with music and cellular using a full large screen to do all functions, that was my point. Show me that type of phone from 1994 and I stand corrected.

----------

I love how you responded, I love the detail. but we all knwo that when Henry screams "WRONG" he's usually talking about his own posts.

I can't use the word (in fear of being banned) but there wasn't a single truth to his post and everyone knows it.

B

Excellent. I can't recall ever insulting you or rudely talking about you in the 3rd party. I try to remain classy and not talk about people. I will always talk directly to people when the conversation is between the two of us. ;)

Last edited:

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Can you explain to us how you know how these features are implemented?
Do you have a prototype watch? Or are you just spouting out opinions?

What? It's all over apple.com, the promotional video, and was demonstrated in the keynote. Which feature do you feel uncertain about how its implemented and I'll be happy to explain and even provide some real world use cases.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.