Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I've searched around and can't find anything on this, but I'll ask the question anyway: does anyone know of a way to replace hardware in the ATV2 to enable it to play 1080P content? Maybe a logic board or processor replacement?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Replace the logicboard with that of an Apple TV 3, but by that point might as well purchase an Apple TV 3.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've searched around and can't find anything on this, but I'll ask the question anyway: does anyone know of a way to replace hardware in the ATV2 to enable it to play 1080P content? Maybe a logic board or processor replacement?

You can sell your ATV2 for far more than a new ATV3 costs.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
You can sell your ATV2 for far more than a new ATV3 costs.

Wow. I ran across an article earlier today that said the same thing, but the date on it was old and I figured the prices had come back down by now. I just took a look on eBay: sure enough, selling prices are over $100. I assume this is because of the ability to jailbreak an ATV2? What keeps ATV3 from doing the same thing?

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Wow. I ran across an article earlier today that said the same thing, but the date on it was old and I figured the prices had come back down by now. I just took a look on eBay: sure enough, selling prices are over $100. I assume this is because of the ability to jailbreak an ATV2? What keeps ATV3 from doing the same thing?

I sold my ATV2 for over $200 last year (it was a refurb from the apple store) and purchased the ATV3 refurb for $75. The reason for the atv2 price is the jailbreak but so far the atv3 can not be jail broken.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I sold my ATV2 for over $200 last year (it was a refurb from the apple store) and purchased the ATV3 refurb for $75. The reason for the atv2 price is the jailbreak but so far the atv3 can not be jail broken.

I did this a couple years back. I was able to sell my 2 for enough money that I bought 2 ATV 3s without spending any more money out of pocket. The jailbreak features weren't of interest to me, so I wasn't losing anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.