Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I thought it was the cable modem but for a year or more randomly I will get a amber light on my airport extreme. it is the last gen before the shape changed. the 4th? or 5th. anyway it has been updated and it has done this for most of the time I had it. in the evening between maybe 7 and 9 I will get the amber light loose wifi and I think wired connection for maybe 20 seconds or so. then the green comes on and off we go. sometimes my older iPad will need to have the wifi turned off and on again to get it upto speed.
this happens randomly sometimes overnight sometimes a week between. but pretty much only in the evening.

ajbudis

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
Had the exact same problem. Restored the Airport Extreme to factory - issue persisted. Bought a new airport extreme - issue resolved.

I would attempt a Factory Reset, however, didn't work for me.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would try to downgrade the firmware to 7.6.1 as I found it to be the most reliable. When it goes out does the AirPort disappear in AirPort Utility?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I can't remember if it did vanish it has been awhile since I looked. I know my ipad would have trouble with the connection since I got it. I just got a new one

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I can't remember if it did vanish it has been awhile since I looked. I know my ipad would have trouble with the connection since I got it. I just got a new one

Seems a little quick to buy a new one not even a day after opening the thread. I bet that this is the time when the DHCP lease renews with the modem causing the small outage.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Seems a little quick to buy a new one not even a day after opening the thread. I bet that this is the time when the DHCP lease renews with the modem causing the small outage.

how would you deal with that? this extreme is faster and my home automation seems less glitchy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.