Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Me thinking I'd be safe if I just kept using the integrated card was wrong - the video output is routed through the discrete card to the display isn't it? So if the discrete card goes, I'm screwed.

I'm noticing this quite often now, regardless of integrated or discrete being in use. Oddly enough I can take a screenshot of it, but that makes sense if the image is being rendered badly to the OS?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Hey guys, I purchased my now dead Mac A1286 at Miami Florida, now I'm living abroad, so if Apple agrees or is forced to an compensation related on this lawsuit, then I'm enabled as beneficiary or do I need to move or reside at Florida indeed to claim any compensation?

Esja

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
EU laq

EU LAW (it was meant to be)
FINALLY! This has been an insult as an apple customer. ALL 2011 Mbps with AMD gpus eventually fails. It is a *design* flaw, and should not occur. In Europe apple has been forced to replace these machines due to laws saying that a laptop should work at least 5 years without manufacturer issues. Apple remained mum on the topic and refused to give any statements to any media outlet, clearly trying to avoid the issue at all costs.

Hopefully now my 3000$ brick of a machine will finally work again.

Can you show me the link or where that is stated. I have been told it´s only two years.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
EU LAW (it was meant to be)

Can you show me the link or where that is stated. I have been told it´s only two years.

That's plain false.
European warranty is two years, not 5.

Btw, my late 2011 MBP still working flawlessly since purchase, in November 2011.
And I used it every single day. Every single one.
It could fails tomorrow, but even in that case, it would have done its job.
I'm sorry about the people that had it failed after 1,5-2 years, but in my case, the MacBook worked as expected.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
My 2011 MBP died the other day as well with the dreaded green lines on reboot and wont go past the Apple logo. This is my 3rd GPU failure on this and its out of AppleCare now so its going on insurance claim. Pretty gutted tbh.

dasi485

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
@dasi485, by any chance were you able to discern whether the replacement motherboard had the same issue with a poorly adhered GPU heat sink?

dasi485

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
@Alembic I didn't have any reason to open it up. It was working fine. If your laptop is covered just take it in and get it repaired or you can claim a refund if you had the laptop repaired up to like $500.

These class action lawsuits only make money for the lawyers. The most you will get is like $25. I would just stay away from these lawsuits.

I'm glad apple stepped up and fixed this.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
I'm not aware of any limitations on repair costs. So long as it was repaired by an Apple certified technician you'll be okay. As I wrote in a post a couple of days back, my out of pocket expense for the repair was AU$1,245.00, and Apple have emailed writing that it's all being reimbursed.

Barman91

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
How does one renew AppleCare on a machine that's three years old? I don't think that's possible.

you can renew your apple care before it expires .. i had apple care before

----------

also update. i got my macbook fixed twice.. payed for it the first time cause i was a month out of my apple care. but since apple now acknowlges the problem, i’m getting a refund.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Are you saying that you can purchase another extended protection plan before your existing extended protection plan expires? I've never heard of anyone doing that successfully before.

Purchase the extended three-year protection before the initial one year warranty expires? That can be done. Purchase a second three-year protection plan before the first three-year protection plan expires effectively giving you six years of warranty coverage from date of purchase? I don't think that's possible.

1ringo

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014

----------

also update. i got my macbook fixed twice.. payed for it the first time cause i was a month out of my apple care. but since apple now acknowlges the problem, i’m getting a refund.

That depends on what "problem" you're relating to. Maybe Customer Relations allowed a reimbursement. Who knows. But that is completely different from "renewing" AppleCare. One three-year AppleCare is all we get.

arvidtp

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I got the graphics card of my 15" 2.4GHz i7 repaired for a 2nd time under the repair program Apple is doing - probably because of this lawsuit.

The graphics card had been acting vaguely funny almost since it was repaired the first time (freezes or random reboots often if allowed to go to sleep on it's own). It recently totally failed again less than a year later, but only when attached to an external display. I had to use a display they had sitting around at the apple store to convince the genius at the desk that there really was a problem because the machine passed the normal graphics card diagnostics twice.

He couldn't guarantee me it was a problem covered under the repair program, but I had it repaired anyway - the machine was worth $300 to fix anyway. I guess it was covered because I got it back with no repair charge a few days later, and no more random reboots or freezes on sleep. Yay! Perhaps they made a new run of the boards finally that no longer have the original problem? At least I can hope…

Also, even though I never received an email from Apple about reimbursement, I called them some time after the original repair and got that reimbursed too.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just got my early 2011 15" MBP GPU/Logic Board replaced under the warranty program. And Apple was nice enough to also replace my magsafe connector and entire bottom case as well!

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I just got my early 2011 15" MBP GPU/Logic Board replaced under the warranty program. And Apple was nice enough to also replace my magsafe connector and entire bottom case as well!
That's pretty cool about the bottom case, but isn't the magsafe connector soldered onto the logic board anyways, meaning it'd probably cost more to have it desoldered and soldered back on?

Glassed Silver:mac

nvjusme

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
San Leandro
I was affected just recently and took my MacBook to apple and they replaced the logic board and my power supply and took out my two 4gb memory cards and insert two 2gb memory cards from Apple. I have switched it back out so far and have not had any issues since

Back in January, we highlighted graphics issues being experienced by a number of owners of 2011 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models, with many users needing to pay for (sometimes multiple) expensive logic board replacements due to the issue. The apparent widespread nature of the issue has led to claims that it is a manufacturing defect that should be covered by Apple, with a change.org petition seeking relief from Apple now exceeding 20,000 signatures and affected users organizing in a Facebook group of over 5,000 members.

macbook_pro_2011_graphics_issue.jpg
We noted in August that law firm Whitfield Bryson & Mason LLP had begun researching the issue, soliciting feedback from affected users to determine whether a class action lawsuit against Apple might be warranted. The firm apparently found sufficient reason to proceed as it has announced today that it has indeed filed suit against Apple on behalf of affected consumers.The firm is continuing to solicit feedback from affected users and is considering filing actions in other jurisdictions around the country.

The lawsuit lays out the plaintiffs' argument that the issues stem from hardware defects related to the lead-free solder used on the AMD graphics chips in the 2011 MacBook Pro models.The suit goes on to note that Apple's only solution offered for the issue is complete logic board replacement, but that the remedy is ineffective as replacement parts use the same solder and fail in the same way, sometimes within days. Apple has also in many cases charged consumers for the repairs and has refused requests to reimburse consumers for repairs paid for out of pocket.

Drawing parallels to similar graphics issues in the 2008 MacBook Pro that ultimately resulted in a recall by Apple, the plaintiffs in this case request that Apple acknowledge a defect in the 2011 MacBook Pro models, notify owners of the issue, bear the costs of inspection of affected machines, and pay the full costs of repairs and damages. The suit also requests that users who have paid out of pocket for repairs be reimbursed for their expenses.

Article Link: Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Apple Over 2011 MacBook Pro Graphics Issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.