Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
on my original 6100/66 I have an odd issue with the computer. I need to put a lot of force on the two cards on the left side of the computer to get it to boot. If I just turn it on with the power button, i get the chime, but nothing comes up and the HDD spins up but doesn't seem to load anything. Thus I have to put a lot of force on the cards and then turn it on and it gives me a happy Mac and restarts and the boots up. Any ideas on why this happens?

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
It's likely the PRAM battery is dead.

What happens when you turn it off, put the card(s) in, then turn it on, quickly turn it off again, and then turn it on once more?

It should chime and show a display and work properly. If this is the case, a new PRAM battery is the preferred permanent solution, doing the "Pizzabox PowerToggle" as it's sometimes called creates unnecessary wear and tear on the hardware, so I recommend using it only if you typically turn the system on and leave it on for weeks at a time, or as a troubleshooting method.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's likely the PRAM battery is dead.

What happens when you turn it off, put the card(s) in, then turn it on, quickly turn it off again, and then turn it on once more?

It should chime and show a display and work properly. If this is the case, a new PRAM battery is the preferred permanent solution, doing the "Pizzabox PowerToggle" as it's sometimes called creates unnecessary wear and tear on the hardware, so I recommend using it only if you typically turn the system on and leave it on for weeks at a time, or as a troubleshooting method.

It is, the time and some settings do not save after turning it off and or disconnecting from power... I will test your fix. Is there any way to remove the cards, because they don't have flaps like the ram... I thought perhaps there is dust blocking the connection so

Cory5412

macrumors member
May 14, 2004
Arizona
What I would do then, is try the power toggle (turn it on, turn it off, turn it back on again) without messing with the cards. If they're seated well, they shouldn't affect anything.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What I would do then, is try the power toggle (turn it on, turn it off, turn it back on again) without messing with the cards. If they're seated well, they shouldn't affect anything.

Sorry about the delay, but this actually worked, thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.