Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chanabbott

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I picket up a pair of Yamaha NS-1000 speakers from the old band room that was about to be thrown out (not knowing anything about studio monitors, I just saw giant speakers in good condition).[i consider myself an amateur audiophile, but I don't know that much about older speakers]After a few searches on eBay, I see similar sets selling for $1500+...
So now I have three options
1) Keep the speakers, because they must sound pretty dang good for $1500??? (they are not hooked up to a receiver, so this is assuming that they are still in really good condition/sound like they should). Anyone out there have an opinion on these speakers?
2) Sell the speakers: I know people are ASKING $1500-2700 (not including shipping), but what would be a fair price? Are they worth selling?

3) [if the speakers turn out to be blown or unusable]should i have fun destroying them with a shotgun? or should i part out the usable parts?

constructive advice appreciated ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4181.JPG
    IMG_4181.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,659

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
These are extraordinary speakers, assuming they are still in good condition. Usually by now the rubber speaker cone suspension is shot. Check this out, and if it looks OK, hook them up to a good amp and listen!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I picket up a pair of Yamaha NS-1000 speakers from the old band room that was about to be thrown out...

No mater what condition these are in they can be repaired. Even if the paper cones are ripped or the voice coils melted. Speaker repair shops can make new parts. Some shops even sell the special materials you'd used to DIY. No matter how bad they are it would be worth it to get them back to "as new" condition. Likely if they need anything at all it would be just the rubber surrounds" replaced. This is a normal every 15 year repair.

It might be good to take advantage of anyone who would pay so much for these speakers and then use the money to buy speakers that might be more suited to your needs.

But even if you do sell them it would be good to set them up and listen for a while

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
People say these always sound 'weird' compared to other monitors, but they undoubtedly have a legendary status these days. I don't personally have any experience with them, but I have consistently heard they require getting used to.

They were ironically never intended to be used in studios, I believe...

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
People say these always sound 'weird' compared to other monitors, but they undoubtedly have a legendary status these days. I don't personally have any experience with them, but I have consistently heard they require getting used to.

They were ironically never intended to be used in studios, I believe...

You're most likely thinking about the NS-10's - those are the ones found in almost every studio.

Not sure about these ones, but if they have a similar sonic signature to the NS-10's, then yes, they would have that "odd" sound, though with Yamaha having amazing modern day studio monitors out, I bet these sound incredible.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I'm aware most studios have them - just pointing out that I don't think that was their intended use originally :)

I may well be thinking of NS-10s, similar name I guess. I personally use Adam monitors.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I'm aware most studios have them - just pointing out that I don't think that was their intended use originally :)

I may well be thinking of NS-10s, similar name I guess. I personally use Adam monitors.

AFAIK, it wasn't. Then Yamaha eventually released an updated version of the NS-10, the NS-10 Studio - something similar - and THAT WAS intended for the studio :)

Had updated, beefier terminals and some other tweaks, I think.

ADAMs? Nice. Check out Neumann - legendary. I'd personally get some Genelecs if I were to get some monitors again. There's even a review on Guitar Center, interestingly enough, where they went with Genelecs over ADAMs.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
AFAIK, it wasn't. Then Yamaha eventually released an updated version of the NS-10, the NS-10 Studio - something similar - and THAT WAS intended for the studio :)

Had updated, beefier terminals and some other tweaks, I think.

ADAMs? Nice. Check out Neumann - legendary. I'd personally get some Genelecs if I were to get some monitors again. There's even a review on Guitar Center, interestingly enough, where they went with Genelecs over ADAMs.

I've worked with Neumann mics and loved them, not heard any of their monitors but I'm sure they're fantastic. I've used Genelecs in a local studio and really wasn't blown away, in fact when someone told me what they were I was like :eek:.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.