Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stera8

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
I have a few apps and one I really want to make sure it is backed up. I would like to have them on a flash drive. I currently use time machine but what is the best way to backup a Xcode project?

I tried to just copy it over once before and open it on another computer and it didn't transfer that great.

Is there something I did wrong or am I just missing common sense on this one?

Thank you

lht1999

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
I host all my projects on bitbucket. With a version control tool (such as git) you can make changes from multiple computers without copying files around. You should use it even if you only work from one computer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My work is backed up 3 ways :)

- Locally to an external using Time Machine.
- Offsite using an online backup service
- Offsite to the main/origin/canonical repo (either BB or GH)

The first two apply to _all_ my data, including things like iPhone backups. The last is specific to pretty much any code. Technically, for web/network based work, I get another set of backups with deployment, that’s usually staging and production! :)

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
I'd be concerned as to why the backup you did, didn't work. If you have a project in a directory and back that up to a flash drive, you should be able to open it on another computer.

Was the problem related to Xcode settings?

I know there are times when you download a project and the targets don't work or some other settings problem. Those aren't likely stored inside of a project.

This could be a problem when you backup and then change versions of Xcode. In that case, you'd need a backup not only of a project, but of Xcode and all it's settings as they were when you worked on that project. That could be troublesome.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I have a few apps and one I really want to make sure it is backed up. I would like to have them on a flash drive. I currently use time machine but what is the best way to backup a Xcode project?

I tried to just copy it over once before and open it on another computer and it didn't transfer that great.

Is there something I did wrong or am I just missing common sense on this one?

Thank you
I'll also recommend bitbucket, because it's totally free to have private projects. On Github you have to have a paid account to host private projects (meaning the rest of the world can't see it). For tiny or personal projects you might not care if others can see the source, but for commercial projects I always host them on Bitbucket. Also, I like Bitbucket's Teams system better than Githubs, so it's easy to work on the same project with other developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.