Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
I always find it staggering when I see the UK figures.

Maybe it's a geographical thing, but I see infinitely more iPhones out and about than I do Androids.

You recognise iPhones on sight
Android phones come in all shapes and sizes. You can't always tell at a glance whether it is a windows phone, android phone or even a feature phone
You probably see a lot more Android phones than you think you do, without realising.

I definitely notice more iPhones out and about, but most of the are iPhone 4/4S or 5 - not seen many of the newer models.

thejd

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
MircoSoft is doing it to themselves. They want to play with the big boys by selling the phones at the same price points as some of the other flag ship phones.

MS need to to just flood the market with cheap (zero on contract) phones to build a base following. This Windows Phones is comparable with Android OS IMHO and they just need to build a following. They will take a hit but they need to get in the game somehow.

I'm not sure I agree with this approach, regarding Microsoft specifically. I think the biggest problem with the Windows Phone gaining marketshare is the brand name, specifically as it relates to customer perception of how well past Microsoft/Windows products have served them. Microsoft's solution is simply one of marketing, not price point, which they are currently doing, albeit incorrectly, by directly comparing the Surface to the Air. Where are the Window's Phone vs iPhone commercials? Everyone I know with a Windows Phone is very happy with it because it is a phone like the iPhone without the iTunes/Apple sandbox but backed by a company that has attention to security.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Yep, people I know with Android phones replace them every year or less. But there are also some bratty kids who beg their parents for the latest iPhone every year.
This is true, longest iphone I had was my 4 from launch day to the 5 which ended up being 2/1/2 years. I end to skip every s generation but many of my friends are in the S series upgrade.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Android phones come in all shapes and sizes. You can't always tell at a glance whether it is a windows phone, android phone or even a feature phone
You probably see a lot more Android phones than you think you do, without realising.

I definitely notice more iPhones out and about, but most of the are iPhone 4/4S or 5 - not seen many of the newer models.

I would imagine he's basing his statement on the fact that he sees more iPhone's than any other phone.

For me it's about 50/50 what I see and I'm in the states. Although for the first time ever, I finally saw someone paying with nfc last week. Naturally it was with an iPhone.

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
I'm not sure I agree with this approach, regarding Microsoft specifically. I think the biggest problem with the Windows Phone gaining marketshare is the brand name, specifically as it relates to customer perception of how well past Microsoft/Windows products have served them. Microsoft's solution is simply one of marketing, not price point, which they are currently doing, albeit incorrectly, by directly comparing the Surface to the Air. Where are the Window's Phone vs iPhone commercials? Everyone I know with a Windows Phone is very happy with it because it is a phone like the iPhone without the iTunes/Apple sandbox but backed by a company that has attention to security.

I haven't used Windows but I have heard for years about the vulnerabilities in Windows, Explorer. Is this a joke? Or an I misinformed?

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I'm not a kid, I actually have two kids (well, one kid and a teenager tbh), but I'm buying the latest iPhone every year since iPhone 3G. Is that wrong ? :confused:

Probably not unless they're begging for it. The question is: If you stopped doing that, would they complain about it a lot?

----------

I haven't used Windows but I have heard for years about the vulnerabilities in Windows, Explorer. Is this a joke? Or an I misinformed?

+1 "Microsoft" makes me think of anything but security.

Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

That would be the best approach, but they have been awful with marketing the WindowsPhone. Agreed, most people that have them like the OS and phone.

Unless something changes soon, they are going the way of Blackberry

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'm kind of surprised that the USA gains were so small, to be honest. It seemed like everyone that I knew got an iPhone 6.

The US is mainly backwater with some pockets of modernity, it's really not a very densely populated country. There are just too many out of touch areas to have a swing like the UK does every year. If you took maybe New York you would probably see even bigger swings. Also UK is obsessed with design and fashions. The economy seems to be uncommonly kind and allows anyone to afford an iPhone even those who don't work!

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

You're right about the first part (bold) but i don't really agree on the second...

I tend to assume that pretty much anything i see that isn't an iPhone is an android, so you'd think i'd BELIEVE i was seeing a lot more android phones than i am in reality, but it feels like i still see far far more iPhones i do other phones.

Suspect it's down to iPhone users spending more time actually USING their phones, which of course is the only time you see them. If i remember right, there's usage figures that pretty much back that up too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.