Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Heh. You obviously haven't seen Frank.

He does X Men for money, and picks other parts for pleasure/art. The success or failure of a Jobs movie will have minimal impact on his career.

A) Frank was really good. I loved it and it also happened to get rave reviews from critics.

B) If this film lives up to the hype it could nominate or even win him an Oscar which would be tremendously good for his career.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I was at the house a year ago while on a trip during New Years. There are all these signs that say "Private Property" and such so I'm surprised that the owners allowed filming there. Now I'm wondering how much the production company is paying the owners to film there.

I'm trying to figure that out. They house doesn't look that out of the ordinary, and building a set and filming on that could/would be easier and cheaper for all involved.

Do the outside shots from outside, and inside on the set.

Do they think that, after 40 years, it looks the same? I'm thinking that mom and dad cleaned up the mess that the Steves left there some time ago, and didn't leave it as a shrine to their kid, who was still alive at the time.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
My first thought too. Wonder how much they paid. I suppose if a Hollywood film wanted to film at my house, I'd probably let them too.

Yeah but this isn't the first time they're filming a movie at the house. The last Jobs movie was also filmed on site. You would think they'd be annoyed with 2 movies being filmed on their property over the span of 3 years, but I guess they're being compensated pretty well.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Yeah but this isn't the first time they're filming a movie at the house. The last Jobs movie was also filmed on site. You would think they'd be annoyed with 2 movies being filmed on their property over the span of 3 years, but I guess they're being compensated pretty well.

Of course they're paid a location fee. This isn't an underground student film stealing shots. And 2 movies in 3 years is nothing. There are a few iconic houses in LA that are shot on location for shows, movies, or commercials many times a year. The income far outweighs the inconvenience or the owner wouldn't rent the access.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wozniak recently commented that ...

"The garage is a bit of a myth. It's overblown. The garage represents us better than anything else, but we did no designs there. We would drive the finished products to the garage, make them work and then we'd drive them down to the store that paid us cash."

"There were hardly ever more than two people in the garage and mostly they were sitting around kind of doing nothing productive."

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
My first thought too. Wonder how much they paid. I suppose if a Hollywood film wanted to film at my house, I'd probably let them too.

Do be careful what you wish for and hopefully the money outweighs the inconvenience as well as the added "fame" to your house after the release of the film.

I'm trying to figure that out. They house doesn't look that out of the ordinary, and building a set and filming on that could/would be easier and cheaper for all involved.

Do the outside shots from outside, and inside on the set.

It's typically the case that interior shots are shot at a sound stage and exteriors or shot on location. I have however, worked on projects that have a house as the location and utilized the entire house and others that have built a hallway and a room on a soundstage. It all depends on what is needed.

Believe it or not, it's actually less expensive to go on location than it is for production to build an entire house.

Of course they're paid a location fee. This isn't an underground student film stealing shots. And 2 movies in 3 years is nothing. There are a few iconic houses in LA that are shot on location for shows, movies, or commercials many times a year. The income far outweighs the inconvenience or the owner wouldn't rent the access.

I didn't realize that the house was used for the last Jobs movie but simply put, money talks.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I am the only one here that has never seen folding garage doors?

I haven't seen garage doors like that in person, must be a pre-1980s style of garage doors.

Also, remember from when I visited the house last year, it has modern sectional overhead doors.

I have a picture of it somewhere from my visit but need to dig it up. So here's a shot from Wikipedia minus the "Private Property" signs:

1200px-Apple_Garage.jpg

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Director Danny Boyle has yet to disappoint. I don't think he will here either. He would not take a script or project that would tarnish his name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.