Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
South Carolina
Good news - my wife has given me permission to get a new computer! I am currently working with an old 2.16 Ghz from the end of the white-bodied generation, so anything is truly an upgrade.

I plan on using the new computer as I used my old one, Adobe products (on a casual to slightly-more-than-casual basis), and the i-programs. Based on money and me not trying not to abuse her kindness, I have 2 options I'm booting around:

1. Non-retina 27" 3.5 Ghz i7, 8GB ram (upgrade on my own), better-of-the-two graphics card, and the 512 GB SSD OR 3TB fusion

2. Retina 4.0 Ghz i7, 8 GB ram (upgrade on my own), better-of-the-two graphics card, and the 1TB fusion or 256 SSD

The major difference, as can be seen above, is the smaller hard drives in the retina due to the price already being higher for the computer itself - they won't come out exactly the same, but in the ballpark I believe. Also, know I plan on getting some external drives for backups and whatnot in the future - but probably not for a little while.

And also... I don't need to worry about refurb; my education discount will help a little in that respect.

I know purchase choices are discussed often on these forums, and I hope this one is slightly unique enough for you to forgive me! Thanks for your thoughts!

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I am also getting up the conviction to hit checkout. I'm considering the 5k you spec'd with 1 Tb Fusion. I plan to do a windows partition and want enough storage for each.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I would go with #2. Might as well go all the way with the processor and graphics card.

Many will suggest the 256GB SSD but if you store lots of stuff on your computer and don't like external drives, definitely go with the 1TB or 3TB Fusion.

Don't be in a rush to upgrade the memory. The iMac runs just fine on 8GB until you are ready.

GixxerPilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
I have the core I7 and 256gb SSD but decided to stay with the base GPU. I am not experiencing the lag problems people are talking about but maybe I am not being as picky as other people. I wanted to save the money and put it towards the 12" macbook air whenever it is coming out. I haven't regretted my decision.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Get the retina. I don't see the point of paying that much money and NOT getting one.

On the non retina you pay extra for any SSD option; not so on the retina. I'd go with all SSD over Fusion, but either is good. Odds are you're gonna have to have an external anyway, and they are relatively cheap for USB 3.

I thought that I'd need more room on my boot drive than I do; if you look carefully at what you've got you might see that you can easily pare down. It's mostly media files and such that chew up chunks of space.

vdoeditdude

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
Get the retina. I don't see the point of paying that much money and NOT getting one.

On the non retina you pay extra for any SSD option; not so on the retina. I'd go with all SSD over Fusion, but either is good. Odds are you're gonna have to have an external anyway, and they are relatively cheap for USB 3.

I thought that I'd need more room on my boot drive than I do; if you look carefully at what you've got you might see that you can easily pare down. It's mostly media files and such that chew up chunks of space.

Ditto for me on the SSD over Fusion. At least to start with

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I have tried the Retina with both a fusion drive and now with the SSD. the SSD hands down is much faster with Photoshop. I would not have thought it would make any difference but for some reason it seems to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.