Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braindamage-89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Hello guys,

Am interested in buying the new ipad air 2(upgrading from ipad 2) and i was wondering whether i should go ahead.
I was going to buy the air 2 but then i came across all these issues mentioned in this forum and i would like to hear your opinion-clarify some things.
It seems that there are 4 major issues concerning the ipad air 2:
1) display distortion
2) tiny speakers that cause vibrations
3) some mention that the screen with the ar coating can not be properly cleaned
Are these issues fixed in more recent production batches and are these issues really widespread or it just affected a small proportion(earlier batches)

Furthermore ipad air 1 sounds like a good alternative for 80pounds less.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

febahadir

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2015
Turkey
I used iPad 2, iPad 4, iPad Air. Now I'm using iPad Air 2. I can't experience any problem as you mentioned.
On the contrary what you said, I like vibration in speaker while playing Asphalt 8.

braindamage-89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply!!

So the problem seems to be isolated to the first batches.
Am not worried so much about the vibration issues but for the screen mostly
I was worried that every ipad air 2 had that problem and I was about to skip it for the air 1

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have had all generations of the iPad including the Air 2 which is the best yet in my opinion. My Air 2 was purchased launch day.

Yes, the iPad vibrates depending on speaker volume which doesn't bother many, including me. The sound is much improved over previous generations.

There is screen distortion which occurs when the unit is pressed firmly on the back which doesn't happen in normal use, except in a few cases reported here.

The screen may collect a little more dust but is easily cleaned with a microfiber cloth.

I don't think these issues are related to production time and are probably still present. The iPad Air 1 is a great device, but if you want the latest tech specs I recommend the Air 2. If you find you are unhappy with any of the features, you can return the device for any reason in the first 2 weeks after purchase. Try it - I think you will love it.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Deciding for iPad Air 2

1) display distortion

1) if you win in the screen lottery, there is no distortions.
on my ipad there is no distortion at all, even if i press that certain area.
on my bfs ipad, there are distortions even if you dont press it for a purpose

2) both units have strong vibration and it start when you turn the volume on. i usually keep the volume around 1-3 bars (of 16 bars). both units have been bought on december from the same place and produced in the same factory (DM).

3) dont know. i use the normal cleaning method...

i woudnt buy Air1.

just for mentioning... if you are going to sketch or write notes, styluses like wacom fineline and creative 2 dont work well with air2. creative2 wont ever work either, while wacom tries to get fineline working better. the same issue is with other manufacturers too.

Last edited:

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
4 major issues concerning the ipad air 2:
1) display distortion
Are these issues fixed in more recent production batches and are these issues really widespread or it just affected a small proportion(earlier batches)

I'm VERY happy with my Air 2.
No screen distortion.
The speakers are small, but I haven't experienced excess vibration or buzzing. I also don't expect super high fidelity out of such small speakers.
I don't think that the screen is any more difficult to clean than my iPhone. It's just bigger and the smudges are more noticeable because of that. But using a good quality micro fiber cloth removes these.
I really don't know whether there were more problems with early production models.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I would definitely recommend the air 2. If you somehow wind up with distortion, take it back. I haven't had any issues with mine, and I wouldn't let the possibility of a defect deter you.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Hello guys,

Am interested in buying the new ipad air 2(upgrading from ipad 2) and i was wondering whether i should go ahead.
I was going to buy the air 2 but then i came across all these issues mentioned in this forum and i would like to hear your opinion-clarify some things.
1) display distortion

Thanks for your help

1) only happens for me if I press harder than I normally would.

2) speakers have a full rich sound for a tablet that unfortunately makes the chassis vibrate, but doesn't bother me in the slightest.

3) screen can be cleaned just as good as previous iPads with a microfibre cloth or a baby wipe and piece of kitchen towel.

4) ??

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
1) No distortion that I can see.
2) I feel minimal vibration with the volume on max.
3) I cleaned my screen last night and it looks great today.

braindamage-89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks all for your answers!!
I will go ahead and purchase the air 2 grey model :p and hopefully it wont have any of the issues
If it does i will get a replacement i guess...

Last edited:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks all for your answers!!
I will go ahead and purchase the air 2 grey model :p and hopefully it wont have any of the issues
If it does i will get a replacement i guess...

good luck, and watch out the iPad air 2 is so slippery, i made my first screen crack and it bugs me

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
By all means, go for iPad Air 2 over first iPad Air! 2 GB RAM in Air 2 makes all the difference. I upgraded from first Air to Air 2 and am so glad I went ahead and did it as I no longer experience instability and Safari crashes. Speaker vibration is not an issue for me nor screen distortion as my iPad is always in a case. I haven't experienced any issues cleaning my screen. I say this as someone who uses glass cleaner and a soft cloth to clean my screens daily on IPhone and iPad.

I am not an Apple apologist. I have returned iPhones and iPads in the past for uneven screen tinting. But IMO and personal experience, complaints about screen distortion, speaker vibration, and screen cleaning with the Air 2 are overblown and insignificant, especially if you plan on keeping your iPad in a case which seems wise for safety reasons with such a thin, somewhat fragile device.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was going to buy the air 2 but then i came across all these issues mentioned in this forum
Keep in mind with any discussion forum that people tend to post when they have problems or questions. They don't generally post just to say that everything is working normally.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

So the problem seems to be isolated to the first batches.
...and you can't determine a trend based on just a couple of posts or even all the posts so far in this thread.

As stated above, use the return period from your retailer if needed. Or pursue a remedy from AppleCare.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
I'm sure if you went back a year you'd see all the problems with the first gen Air - there was probably a bad screen (there's usually a handful of anal people who insist it's worse), the display felt hollow, and the speakers weren't great.

aloha50

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
I went from an iPad 2 to Air 2 and couldn't be happier. No issues or problems here. Hope you get the same experience.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello guys,

1) display distortion

Thanks for your help

1. You'll see this on demo units that are often abused. You'll also see it on demo models of the original iPad Air that are also abused. Just don't abuse your iPad and you'll be fine.

2. You'll only notice this if you put the speakers at full blast, and even then, my guess is that you'll only notice this because you read the forums here first. Definitely a non-issue.

3. Total bull. Just be careful. But the same things that would clean the original iPad Air should work with the iPad Air 2.

As for iPad Air (original) over iPad Air 2: The Air 2 will last you longer by virtue of being newer and tons faster in terms of performance. If you don't mind replacing your iPad one year sooner, then the original iPad Air is fine. If you want to go a longer period of time before it's naturally time to replace your iPad, then I say go with the iPad Air 2.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I've owned an Air 2 for 2 and a half months now and i haven't really experienced any issues that other have. Yes, my speakers vibrate too but the fact is that the chassis of the thing is so thin that it basically will unless you wanted whisper-quiet speakers. It's not vibrating across my desk so it isn't a big deal. A lot of reviewers also pointed out that the Air 2 doesn't last as long as the first generation on a charge. At first, I noticed I was getting about 45 minutes to an hour less on a charge compared to my first Air but now, it seems to be on par. I suppose one of the software updates Apple pushed out since release did the fix

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Certainly worth the $100 over the Air 1 and even a upgrade from the Air

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 127
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.