Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Phones got boring after Note II so I'm more interested in hybrids and laptops these days. Have an eye on Surface Pro 4 and maybe 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Ubuntu phone if it actually makes it on the market. If its still vaporware I'll probably just get a Jolla. I would like to try a Firefox phone sometime this year but I'm waiting for no particular reason....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think I'm most excited about the next Sony Xperia Z phone. I came very close to getting the Z3 (but ended up with the OnePlus instead for value).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I guess by default somewhat it will be the Asus Zenfone. I don't have any hate for Samsung but I rather the Zenfone than the S6 at least at this point. The HTC M9 is dropping off my radar though I'll probably check it out when it is on display and probably the S6 as well.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm the opposite. My interest in the s6 has spiked recently. The potentials are really there for Samsung to take the cake. Whether they will or not only time will tell of course.

Otherwise the m9 is really interesting. I'm also curious about the xperia z4 and what Sony intends to do with their mobile division this year (the xperia z3 was a very close second runner last year for me before I ended up with the oneplus one). Curious about the oneplus two of course by association. ;)

Not as curious about the iPhone this year honestly. We all more or less know what to expect with the s variation. And with iOS 9 rumors pointing to more stability, I'm sort of uninterested. Cyanogen > iOS by quite a long shot in my opinion. The stability will be great for current iPhone users though.

Then if you wanna go further down the interest-line, to a very low extent I'm curious about Motorola and the next nexus. Stock android though sounds like a real bore to me. I think Google isn't capitalizing enough with stock android. Cyanogen puts it to shame.

I'm secretly rooting for the m9 to be a real hit.

adamr7

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
It's a year that I will upgrade my phone. Overall I am still undecided what I will get so I am looking forward to all of the flagships....HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S6, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, and the next iPhone.

I'll want to wait to for the new iPhone to be announced so waiting will be the hard part.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Far as phones, nothing really as happy with my S5 all around, excellent battery life, water resistance, rooted and rom'd. So I'll pry wait another year and see what happens. But definitely interested in seeing what's released for either the Air or Pros with their updates, and looking to get another tablet. Nexus 9 was kinda a half ass attempt, friend returned his and stayed with his Nexus 7, I took a gamble and returned as well after known issues plagued mine as replacement devices had same or worse problems (leak on replacement was like double my first). Sammy well you may have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow then rooting and romming a Sammy device in the future. Sony tablets are nice. I bet Nexus line will do better this go around but don't believe anything will be released till 4th quarter?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Sammy well you may have better luck finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow then rooting and romming a Sammy device in the future.

That's dependant on the carrier locking the bootloader. Pretty sure root will be available on the S6 and N5 T-mobile branded.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
That's dependant on the carrier locking the bootloader. Pretty sure root will be available on the S6 and N5 T-mobile branded.
True, I've been with AT&T for years. I almost bought T version last time but remember before people having issues with T variants on AT&T even though their compatible, haven't paid attention so don't know if that was fixed, though I recall people complaining about trouble with AT&T hspa+ on the S2.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
After getting a pair of late 2014 but budget prepaid phones within a few days from each other, I guess I no longer am looking forward to any device. The S6 Edge might draw some curiosity. The Zenfone 2, not as much anymore but still one of the better deals at $199.

I think budget phones can do alot on what phones priced 2-3x can do as seen from Xiaomis, Asus Zenfones, Nokia Lumia 520/635, and Sharp Aquos Crystal except for having a great camera or having the latest SoC. Before getting the Aquos, I really wanted the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 which is an early 2014 midrange device! Someone was selling it for $150 practically new for his Consumer Cellular HAM2. The battery life is AMAZING on that thing. Yeah, perhaps the M9, S6 variants, Z4, G4, 1+2, Mi 5, MX5, Moto X, Note 5, and iPhone 6s Plus might get me excited for a little but the overall gist of it is I don't need a monster in specs. Good enough specs/performance with even better value is what I look for.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
I'm just gonna try to stop myself from buying an iPhone 6 Plus this year and wait for the next. I need more RAM and I am tempted to go back to iPhone since I have been using a Note 3 for the last year. Don't want I get stuck on either Android or iOS and I do find ios having a much more intuitive overall experience, camera och design.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmmmmm.. Well, I really like the Apple Watch, and placed a pre-ordered for the Pebble Time, but think I'll scratch both of this year's list as really, I need a new phone and think I will get the iPhone 6S, or what ever it's called. So long as it has optical image stabilisation and the same size screen. Yeah I'll bite, oh and iOS 9 needs to fix a lot of the bugs. But that won't be cheap so will need to save, oh and I still want my Team X-ray XB8 electric buggy :D

I want a smallish phone with the best automatic camera you can get, the Xperia Compact is very good but you need to play around with the camera settings to get the best out of it from what I have read.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Ah, I thought it was soon. Will be interesting to see what they do with the Shield gaming device, although if I remember they are announcing something they've been working on for several years?

I hope it's worth the wait. I know the shield was one of the best android tablets of last year, especially at the price.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
All I can say is WOW if the prices for the S6 Edge variant goes over $1K. We could have its basic model be subsidized higher than the Note series at $400 with contract. The Note series hardly drop in price, btw. Unlike the S line, LG, HTC, and Motorolas of the world. Even with iPhone, you can get them discounted just months later.

Samsung is finally giving us metal build but also overpricing them even further. Even more now than Apple. They started with their smart TV's for like 100 grand and now they want to sell their flagship smartphones for at least 1 grand.

I think it makes sense. Their specs were always top quality. Now they want to aim higher and start being known as a PREMIUM manufacturer for the richer folks. It also helps recoup their financial losses. Very curious if Samsung can shed their cheap label and outclass Apple in their own game with a more expensive luxury device like the S6 Edge variant. It must truly WOW next week with that rumored asking price.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Note 5 and any other worthy Phablet

I'm mainly looking for the Note 5, although I am watching the S6 and S6 Edge just to see what Samsung's new TW and design language are, but otherwise the Note 5 is my main target.

Not a single phone maker seems capable of building a true Galaxy Note 4 rival with the mix of great ergonomics, immense functionality and incredible battery life the Note 4 has, so I have pretty much given up on other company's currently poor Phablet offerings/"rivals".

I will keep an eye out for other Phablets, but I imagine they all will be playing catch-up to the Note 4, when the Note 5 arrives.

Palladium SG

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2015
A Moto G-esque phone with 4G dual-SIM, 720p or better screen, Snapdragon 410 or better SoC, 2GB RAM at least, stock or near stock Android and removable battery is a plus...At a killer price.

Otherwise, my current Note 3 and Redmi Note 4G are already so good that it is extremely hard to justify a new phone.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
1. Oculus Rift for the PC (This alone could cause me to upgrade a few key components in my computer.)
2. Windows 10 operating system (Got the tech preview on my sons computer and it shows promise. I like what I see. Could open up my purchase to a Windows 10 tablet or laptop.)
3. Note 5 (Samsung normally does not disappoint here)
4. Nexus 7 (phone)
5. Nexus 7" 2015 edition??? (Google had a good thing going with affordable high end 7 inch tablets. That was lost with Nexus 8. I still consider my Nexus 7 2013 as the better tablet.)
6. Galaxy S6 (Won't be buying but it's a good indication what Samsung's game plan is.)
7. LG G4 (Just want to see.)
8. HTC One M9 (But if leaks are true I have no interest.)
9. Motorola X 2015 (I actually like the 2014 model.)
10. Sony flagship (as long as it comes to Verizon untouched. One model on all carriers.)
11. iPhone 6/6 plus (Hard to get excited over a S model. This could actually be the phone I buy if Apple can make iOS solid and reliable. Had nothing but bad experiences with the iPhone 6.)
12. Wearables such as Pebble and Android Wear. (Simple, functional and affordable is what I'm looking for. Not a expensive fashion piece for showing off.)
13. iPads (Only because it's tech and it's Apple.)
14. Windows Phone 10 (I just wish Microsoft would allow Android like customization. Not a fan of the launcher but Microsoft is correct in keeping all models stock regardless of OEM. Wish I could rank this much higher for 2015. )
15. Apple Watch (I personally think that this watch will fail unless Apple makes adjustments to the pricing and not focus so much attention to fashion. And the functionality looks unApple like to me. It's going to sale initially because it's a new Apple product so listening to Apple brag about sales is useless to me. It's the long haul I'm interested in.)

My numbering is only because of my level of interest. iDevices are low on my list but it does not mean I won't buy (minus the Apple Watch). Not spending $350 (minimum) on a watch when I don't even own a iPad. That would be more useful to me.

----------

Looking for HTC M9.

I hope HTC leaked those pics on purpose to throw off the scent. If true their milking that body style far to long. And I'm not impressed with the early Snapdragon 810 news in the LG Flex 2. That phone would have made my list but early reports show it as having throttling issues.

----------

A Moto G-esque phone with 4G dual-SIM, 720p or better screen, Snapdragon 410 or better SoC, 2GB RAM at least, stock or near stock Android and removable battery is a plus...At a killer price.

Otherwise, my current Note 3 and Redmi Note 4G are already so good that it is extremely hard to justify a new phone.

If I was aiming at dropping Verizon and switching to like t-mobile I would also pick a upgraded Moto G. I would be fine with those specs even though I doubt the removable battery. But given the low cost of the Moto X 2013 that might be a better option if you can find one for under $200.
I have a Note 4 which is far superior but my interest in that was Gear VR. If it wasn't for VR I don't use the full potential of the phone when it comes to gaming. A Moto X would have made me happy and a 720p display is enough for a phone.
Imagine a 720p Android mini with a high end processor, 3GB of ram, killer camera and a size smaller than iPhone 6. That thing would fly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.