Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Apparently Eovaldi has a big arm. Young, high upside. I'm interested in seeing what he can do.

This also opens up the door for Pirela and Refsnyder to win the 2nd base job outright in Spring Training.

I like this trade.
Prado did prove himself last year tho. Do we want to lose his bat?

The New York Yankees today announced they have acquired RHP Gonzalez Germen from the New York Mets in exchange for cash considerations.
Germen, 27, did not record a decision in 25 relief appearances with the Mets in 2014, posting a 4.75 ERA (30.1IP, 16ER). He also spent time with Triple-A Las Vegas, going 3-1 with six saves and a 2.38 ERA (22.2IP, 6ER) in 18 appearances out of the bullpen.
http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20141219&content_id=104514908&oid=36019

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Prado did prove himself last year tho. Do we want to lose his bat?

Runs were definitely an issue last year, but I'm willing to take the chance. If the team is living or dying with Prado's bat, we're screwed anyway.

You have to assume that some combination of Beltran/Tex/Headley/McCann are going to improve upon their numbers from last year.

Our infield defense is going to be crazy good, and I love the idea of having 3 young power pitchers in our starting 5. Eovaldi has some improvements he can make to strike out more guys, but he gets a lot of ground balls. I like the upside.

And I'd like the chance to see Refsnyder get a shot at showing if he's the real deal. And I'm always on board with the Yanks getting younger.

Edit: They also got a prospect in the deal, Domingo German, who was apparently their #8 prospect on the Baseball America list.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
We filled 3rd base so we should be fine and let's hope our existing bullpen is enough to get us back to playoffs.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/10455...-mcgehee-from-marlins-to-fill-third-base-spot

McGehee is not an exciting fill, but a cheap one, and a short term one at that.

Still need a real answer out in left field, or at least a right-handed power bat that complements Gregor Blanco in a platoon. Might have to be through a trade.

If Strickland and Machi get things sorted out, it's going to be a very deep 'pen. Don't think the rotation of Bumgarner, Cain, Peavy, Hudson, and Lincecum is quite good enough, but I don't see the Giants overpaying Scherzer or Shields at this point.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This sounds a lot like an excuse for bad baseball. The Cubs have been bad because of bad teams.

I completely disagree. Think about it: during the last decade, the few times the Cubs went to the playoffs, they never made it to the World Series. And I can figure out why: all the games were played mostly in the evening, and given that Cubs players are more used to playing day baseball, playing night baseball "threw off" their biological clocks and as such the team played way below expectations during the playoffs.

This is why I really hope once the Wrigley Field renovations are complete, the Cubs can play around 50 regular season night games at Wrigley each season. I'll almost say once the Cubs players become accustomed to playing in the evening hours, the team will likely play vastly better during the regular season and during the playoffs.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
McGehee is not an exciting fill, but a cheap one, and a short term one at that.

Still need a real answer out in left field, or at least a right-handed power bat that complements Gregor Blanco in a platoon. Might have to be through a trade.

If Strickland and Machi get things sorted out, it's going to be a very deep 'pen. Don't think the rotation of Bumgarner, Cain, Peavy, Hudson, and Lincecum is quite good enough, but I don't see the Giants overpaying Scherzer or Shields at this point.

If we can squeeze our resources for Shields, that would be great, 2.21 ERA and all. Scherzer is out of the question financially and though his ERA is slightly better at 2.15, he has a lot of postseason experience which is a plus which his agents know.

Other sources pro-Shields and anti-Scherzer:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ience-on-mlbs-most-inactive-contenders/page/4

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
We got Nori Aoki, left handed .287 batter from the KC Royals.

http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/articl...-sign-left-fielder-nori-aoki-to-one-year-deal

We didn't get KC's big pitcher James Shields and instead re-signed Jake Peavy and had money left over. We had a vulnerability in the outfield and Nori Aoki should fill that nicely. Hunter Pence (.284), a recuperated Angel Pagan (.283) and Aoki should provide plenty of hits.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
We got Nori Aoki, left handed .287 batter from the KC Royals.

http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/articl...-sign-left-fielder-nori-aoki-to-one-year-deal

We didn't get KC's big pitcher James Shields and instead re-signed Jake Peavy and had money left over. We had a vulnerability in the outfield and Nori Aoki should fill that nicely. Hunter Pence (.284), a recuperated Angel Pagan (.283) and Aoki should provide plenty of hits.

Big mistake. Jake Peavy is just really bad now.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Big mistake. Jake Peavy is just really bad now.

His postseason was awful (except for win against Washington in playoffs) and I hope he still has something left in the tank. We have fill ins with Aoki and on third base so I hope it all comes together. The potential is there and the team can squeeze out the most out of less than a perfect situation.

Who would have thought SF would win another one, but this time with almost no use of Lincecum, Scutaro out, Pagan out, and Cain out? Anyone who would have predicted a WS win with such a depleted team would have been committed.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Peavy was very good for the Giants through Game 1 of the NLDS. He had some hard luck in the rest of his playoff appearances, and he figures to be about the #4 starter, so I feel fine with him being back.

Speaking of starting rotations, the Nats are going crazy in that department with the signing of Max Scherzer. A great rotation is now mind-blowing, but bear in mind it wasn't their starting pitching that let them down in the postseason. Wonder if another trade is in the works over there.

Aoki is a solid addition to the Giants outfield. They do need that insurance against Angel Pagan getting injured again. The Giants have lost a lot of power in this offseason, but have at least added a couple of guys who know how to get on base. Still waiting for the year that Brandon Belt avoids the random, freak injuries and puts up the 30 HR he is easily capable of.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Well Washington is good at wasting money. :p

Touche. :D

Apparently they deferred some of the $$, so they won't be as cash strapped as you would think.

I'd love to see the Yanks try to work out a deal for one of their other starters now. I'd take Zimmerman in a second (for the right price). There are whispers that Strasburg may also be available. Though, in his case, they may be scared to extend him long term because of arm troubles.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Looks like the Max Scherzer deal with the Nats is done. 7/210 Million.

Craziness.

Okay, how do the Orioles not want to strangle someone with the revenue sharing BS?

----------

Touche. :D

Apparently they deferred some of the $$, so they won't be as cash strapped as you would think.

I'd love to see the Yanks try to work out a deal for one of their other starters now. I'd take Zimmerman in a second (for the right price). There are whispers that Strasburg may also be available. Though, in his case, they may be scared to extend him long term because of arm troubles.

Zimmerman would look great in a Red Sox uniform. :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Peavy was very good for the Giants through Game 1 of the NLDS. He had some hard luck in the rest of his playoff appearances, and he figures to be about the #4 starter, so I feel fine with him being back.

Speaking of starting rotations, the Nats are going crazy in that department with the signing of Max Scherzer. A great rotation is now mind-blowing, but bear in mind it wasn't their starting pitching that let them down in the postseason. Wonder if another trade is in the works over there.

Aoki is a solid addition to the Giants outfield. They do need that insurance against Angel Pagan getting injured again. The Giants have lost a lot of power in this offseason, but have at least added a couple of guys who know how to get on base. Still waiting for the year that Brandon Belt avoids the random, freak injuries and puts up the 30 HR he is easily capable of.

Peavy will do fine and he's a part of our great and weird SF Giants' bizarre clubhouse mentality that helps us get our psychological edge. You have Alabaman Peavy with his Boston Strong sweatshirt on hanging out with his fellow statesman/pitcher Tim Hudson and the rest of the team yell "Roll Tide" before they hit the field even though those two are Auburn, not University of Alabama. So yes, Peavy is a part we can't do without, even at #4 and Boston Strong, Alabama, Auburn Roll Tide war cries will help our SF Giants win more games than we are supposed to.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
I don't get this, didn't the Nats have good pitching last year. Why spend a boatload of money, and not see a huge upgrade to their staff.

Yes, they did. Roark, who is their 5th starter went 15-10 with a 2.85 ERA. A weak division, but still good numbers for someone who just lost their job. And a lot of them are still young, and under their control. Roark won't be a free agent until 2020.

Maybe they are trying to hedge their bets? Zimmerman will be a free agent next year and Strasburg in 2, I believe. Maybe they are worried about Strasburg's elbow and aren't planning on extending him long term. The 14 year payout to Scherzer may help with the decision to try and keep Zimmerman long term, but there are whispers that they are listening to offers on both guys.

The Nats real need was a bat, not a starting pitcher. So, yeah, a little weird.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Yes, they did. Roark, who is their 5th starter went 15-10 with a 2.85 ERA. A weak division, but still good numbers for someone who just lost their job. And a lot of them are still young, and under their control. Roark won't be a free agent until 2020.

Maybe they are trying to hedge their bets? Zimmerman will be a free agent next year and Strasburg in 2, I believe. Maybe they are worried about Strasburg's elbow and aren't planning on extending him long term. The 14 year payout to Scherzer may help with the decision to try and keep Zimmerman long term, but there are whispers that they are listening to offers on both guys.

The Nats real need was a bat, not a starting pitcher. So, yeah, a little weird.
They have an old owner who is going for it now. What does he care what the team looks like in 5 years.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
We got Vogelsong back, a man who has never lost a WS game as an insurance policy.

But finally, the Giants got a real name from the outside which is Nori Aoki, lefthanded outfielder who was with the WS opponent KC Royals last year. If he continues to hit .285 then we should be in pretty good shape.

It was hard not to land the Oakland's Jon Lester or KC's James Shields or Detroit's Max Scherzer but we spread out the money we didn't pay to keep Sandoval. I hope this pays off. If you get one big name like a Jon Lester, you are stuck if something like an injury comes along. But if a high profile outsider comes in and does well then it could turn out like Barry Bonds when we got him from the Pirates.

SF is still gun shy from all the bad and expensive seasons we had with Barry Zito but in the end Zito worked it for us in a WS championship and had a MLB record home starting pitcher winning streak from 2012-2013. Bonds gave us big wins and put us in a WS but gave team bad name with cheating/PEDs and probably why we didn't re-sign free agent Melky Cabrera. But there's a chance that Cabrera can get a ring with White Sox and then there will be all the what-ifs if SF doesn't do so well in the future. The whole steroids thing point a finger most at SF during the heat of the scandal and that forever hurt us in the eyes of many. Had we won the 2002 WS and with the fall out after the steroid scandal, it would have been a championship many felt we didn't truly win in a fair fashion.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Shields to Padres will help them and it's not a good thing for Giants fans, and I am sure Dodgers fans aren't thrilled, either. I so wish we got him in SF to put another WS within reach. Yeah, we are greedy but don't want to forever be the team who couldn't get 4 in relatively short order like 90s-2000 Yanks.

You Pats fans know what I mean and your 4th was key to put Brady and Pats in same sentence as Steelers and Niners and it's about having a legacy among the best out there in sports.

Shields is still 33, which is old in any sport in nearly any position, especially a major league starting pitcher expected to pitch more than 30 starts. If his numbers finally tank due to age and wear and tear that will be sad for his career but he made it to WS, garnered $75,000,000 dollars, and had over 1,600 strikeouts in a 3.72 ERA career. I will be relieved for NL West rival Giants. We already dodged a bullet seeing the Panda bypass the LAD.

Update:

Kemp, too:

Matt Kemp at San Diego can make this NL West title move even further south this time (from LA down a few ticks down the highway). The Padres should be downright scary:

http://m.mlb.com/video/v37948283/kemp-meeting-new-padres-having-a-good-time-in-camp

Of course I am happy that the Giants won the most recent WS, but our hated for the Dodgers won't erase that awful feeling that the Dodgers took the NL West in 2014 with ease. The World Series win is like a nice high end pair of the new Air Jordans on your feet if you are a Giants fan, but the LAD defending the NL West title is like a rock in those sneakers.

Now both SF and LA have San Diego to worry about. The NL West title may not be for SF and this time SF may not be able to sneak in through the wild card. A 2015 season #1 SD, #2 LAD (wild card) NL West finish could likely be the outcome after a very ugly 2014-2015 hot stove.

Last edited:

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Cole Hamels may still be a possibility.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/24-scouts-were-on-hand-for-cole-hamels-spring-debut/

The Red Sox could use somebody like him to help make their hitting team a pitching team, too.

But imagine what he could do to put an exclamation mark on a team like the Cubs or Cardinals? Washington or the Angels would be easy contenders with him.

I would like to see him as insurance for the Giants because we couldn't land Shields or Lester. We were smart in keeping Vogey, Peavy, Hudson, and Romo and most teams would be lucky to have them. But if Cain and Lincecum can't back Bumgarner, then we need another reliable ace. Cole Hamels, SF Giant...I like that idea. All talk about us not being a dynasty, some by Giants fans, will die out if we at least get one back to back.

Not too long ago for those who remember, we saw our A's threepeat and dominate like any real dynasty is supposed to do. Winning three WS is great for us in SF, but missing the postseason in the years in between is kind of ugly and it's not something somebody like the Yankees ever did. When talking dynasty, the only yardstick is the Yankees with Jeter dynasty, Ford dynasty, and Ruth dynasty who were 4/5, 5/5, 4/5.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
Cole Hamels may still be a possibility.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/06/24-scouts-were-on-hand-for-cole-hamels-spring-debut/

The Red Sox could use somebody like him to help make their hitting team a pitching team, too.

But imagine what he could do to put an exclamation mark on a team like the Cubs or Cardinals? Washington or the Angels would be easy contenders with him.

I would like to see him as insurance for the Giants because we couldn't land Shields or Lester. We were smart in keeping Vogey, Peavy, Hudson, and Romo and most teams would be lucky to have them. But if Cain and Lincecum can't back Bumgarner, then we need another reliable ace. Cole Hamels, SF Giant...I like that idea. All talk about us not being a dynasty, some by Giants fans, will die out if we at least get one back to back.

Not too long ago for those who remember, we saw our A's threepeat and dominate like any real dynasty is supposed to do. Winning three WS is great for us in SF, but missing the postseason in the years in between is kind of ugly and it's not something somebody like the Yankees ever did. When talking dynasty, the only yardstick is the Yankees with Jeter dynasty, Ford dynasty, and Ruth dynasty who were 4/5, 5/5, 4/5.

You have to think that with Darvish now out for the year, the only team that will give anything close to what the Phillies are asking is the Rangers. Though, apparently they are asking for a king's ransom and nobody has been close.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
You have to think that with Darvish now out for the year, the only team that will give anything close to what the Phillies are asking is the Rangers. Though, apparently they are asking for a king's ransom and nobody has been close.

Let's hope the Phillies come down to earth:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2015/03/red_sox_cole_hamels_trade_patience.html

The Red Sox may get into playoffs on hitters alone and teams have done this before like my Giants in earlier incarnations, but not having big ace can be the total difference in postseason.

Let's see what the Rangers do. Darvish is a total monster and it's sad to see him sit out a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.