Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Since its release about a month ago, I was just wondering if anyone here has acquired one, and if so what their experiences are? I am seriously considering buying one.

I have been considering for some time moving over to Fujifilm from Nikon. Almost bought the X-T1, but I have decided to wait to see what the rumoured X-Pro2 will be like before taking the plunge and selling all my Nikon gear. I know the X100T would be a good, solid, light camera just to carry with me.

Thanks

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Since its release about a month ago, I was just wondering if anyone here has acquired one, and if so what their experiences are? I am seriously considering buying one.

I have been considering for some time moving over to Fujifilm from Nikon. Almost bought the X-T1, but I have decided to wait to see what the rumoured X-Pro2 will be like before taking the plunge and selling all my Nikon gear. I know the X100T would be a good, solid, light camera just to carry with me.

Thanks

Hey Nordichund,

I don't have an X100T, so I can't comment on it directly but I do have the X100S and since no-one has replied yet I thought I could at least tell you how that is.

It's about as perfect a camera as I could hope for, tbh. The X100T sorts out some small things that bug me about the S, for example you can set any button to be a particular function which would help me as I sometimes switch between b&w and colour when composing. It's more fiddly on the S, and the T looks to solve that. The Classic Chrome looks amazing as well and I'm just hoping that Fuji releases an update in the future for the previous X100 models.

The ergonomics are great, it's light and unassuming, and the IQ is stellar. The fixed 35mm FOV might bug some, but personally I love it.

Honestly, if you can afford to buy it then do so. I warn you though - you might find yourself spending very little time in front of your computer in post, as the jpegs OOC are notoriously good :)

Alex

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Fujifilm X100T

Hi Nordichund,

I've had one for a while now and it's a fantastic little camera. I came from the original X100, which I loved and the T has sorted out all of the gripes I had with the original. I think that Alex has pretty much nailed the response above. The wifi is a great addition and like Alex says, you'll probably spend less time doing PP as the OOC JPEGs are incredible. I now just upload straight from the camera to my iPad and do little tweaks in Snapseed when necessary. I also have an XE1 for the interchangeable lens factor but my X100T goes everywhere with me because it's so light and unobtrusive.

Here are a few OOC shots for an idea of IQ

15746225887_a01bc72b3e_b.jpg

15508383694_737a2ce082_b.jpg

15906166506_4821d2c11a_b.jpg

15519049753_e073454c44_b.jpg

15691060618_45e535ffa9_b.jpg

Like Alex said - Classic Chrome is awesome.

If you have the cash then don't hesitate, it's a fantastic camera.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Incredible Little Camera

We just picked up the camera this week and but we have taken a few shots with it.

Was very impressed with the photos. And yes, Classic Chrome is awesome.

The camera is mainly for the wife but I can see me "borrowing" it. :)

We normally shoot all our photos in RAW (We have a Nikon D610 & D5200) but after shooting RAW and JPEG with the Fuji we quickly realized that the JPEG with Classic Chrome is just way too good.

And the wifi feature to the iphone works better and quicker than we imagined.

It's pricey but the quality is incredible.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have an X100s, but the differences to the X100T aren't that big: they share the same optics, the same sensor and the UI is for the most part the same. The X100s is a camera I fell in love with. I also own a Nikon D7000 with a few lenses and two flashes, but I almost exclusively use the X100s. The image quality is spectacular, the camera is well-suited for low light photography, and it is very compact.

The X100T improves upon the X100s with a better viewfinder (I'm especially jealous of being able to manually focus while using the optical viewfinder and the ability to set the aperture in 1/3 stop increments directly at the aperture ring), it's supposedly a little faster and the buttons on the back are a bit better.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Appreciate the replies and great photos MacRy :cool:

Sounds like a great endorsement. I almost bought a second hand, hardly used Leica X2 which was been sold at a ridiculously low price. Although it can take amazing pictures I believe Fujifilm are putting the fun back into photography.

I've already bought the wide converter lens as one of the camera stores in town has been having a half-price campaign on them. I'll definitely be picking up the X100T very shortly.

Cheers :)

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm holding off camera purchases until the X-Pro 2 is revealed. It's becoming harder by the day.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm holding off camera purchases until the X-Pro 2 is revealed. It's becoming harder by the day.

I'm holding out for the X500T and X-EZ (grin). I hear you on how hard it is to wait for the next model but I'm gonna bet you'll be glad you did! Patience shall be rewarded.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm holding out for the X500T and X-EZ (grin). I hear you on how hard it is to wait for the next model but I'm gonna bet you'll be glad you did! Patience shall be rewarded.

Well when I finally bought the X-E2, the X-T1 was announced two months later. :eek:

apphotography

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2014
Hi Nordichund,

I've had one for a while now and it's a fantastic little camera. I came from the original X100, which I loved and the T has sorted out all of the gripes I had with the original. I think that Alex has pretty much nailed the response above. The wifi is a great addition and like Alex says, you'll probably spend less time doing PP as the OOC JPEGs are incredible. I now just upload straight from the camera to my iPad and do little tweaks in Snapseed when necessary. I also have an XE1 for the interchangeable lens factor but my X100T goes everywhere with me because it's so light and unobtrusive.

Superb

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Well when I finally bought the X-E2, the X-T1 was announced two months later. :eek:

Ouch. That's got to hurt but in reality you still have a great camera that is quite capable in nearly all regards (other than high action subjects). My next purchase will be late this year or early next year.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Hi Nordichund,

I actually prefer how JPEGs come out of the X100 better than the S and the T so I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. :D

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
I have the x-e1 myself, but to do it over again, I would have gotten the 100s (now the 100t). I only use the prime 35mm lens for the x-e1 and would prefer an optical viewfinder. Not to say that I'm unhappy with what I have, but I'd have gotten the 100s instead. I previously had a Leica d-lux5, which took amazing photos, but gave less control and was clunky to use. Not too mention too small for my hands. The Fuji x-series cameras really are just fun to use.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I actually prefer how JPEGs come out of the X100 better than the S and the T so I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. :D

A lot of people seem to prefer the old bayer sensor and I can see why. The X100 files do have a really nice look to them.

I have the x-e1 myself, but to do it over again, I would have gotten the 100s (now the 100t). I only use the prime 35mm lens for the x-e1 and would prefer an optical viewfinder. Not to say that I'm unhappy with what I have, but I'd have gotten the 100s instead. I previously had a Leica d-lux5, which took amazing photos, but gave less control and was clunky to use. Not too mention too small for my hands. The Fuji x-series cameras really are just fun to use.

You should try a few old legacy lenses with your XE1 to give yourself a bit of variation. You can pick up some really nice Russian rangefinder lenses for next to nothing and they really suit being on the XE1 body. I've got a couple of Jupiter lenses that I use on mine, which give beautiful results and were ridiculously cheap. I couldn't be without my X100T as well though. A different feel and style of camera. Still love the XE1 though.

A couple of shots from my £40 Jupiter 11 135mm

16222302131_68628d7154_b.jpg

12909528425_00e491af07_b.jpg

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
A lot of people seem to prefer the old bayer sensor and I can see why. The X100 files do have a really nice look to them.

You should try a few old legacy lenses with your XE1 to give yourself a bit of variation. You can pick up some really nice Russian rangefinder lenses for next to nothing and they really suit being on the XE1 body. I've got a couple of Jupiter lenses that I use on mine, which give beautiful results and were ridiculously cheap. I couldn't be without my X100T as well though. A different feel and style of camera. Still love the XE1 though.

A couple of shots from my £40 Jupiter 11 135mm

Thanks for the tip. I've heard a lot of people talk about using other lenses on the x-series cameras. Is there a site or guide on how to do that, adapters, etc.? I've really got no clue about it.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Fujifilm X100T

A good start would be the adapted lens threads on the Fuji-X forum.

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/forum/56-adapted-lens-discussion/

It's really easy to do. You just need to buy an appropriate adapter for the type of lens you are after. For example, the Russian Jupiters I mentioned are an M39 Leica mount so I bought a £15 Fotodiox M39 to Fuji X mount adapter from eBay which allows you to mount it and off you go. As the adapters are so cheap I bought one for each of my Leica mount lenses (Voigtlander 15 Heliar, Jupiter 8 50mm and Jupiter 11 135mm). I also have a Minolta Rokkor 45mm lens, which is small and awesome quality and I paid about £40 for that too. The Rokkors are great lenses and again, the adapters are about £15.

You can buy the lenses from eBay or old camera stores. There are plenty of them around. I got one Jupiter from Russia on eBay and one from the UK. My adapters mainly came from Hong Kong via eBay. No problems with any of them.

Example of the 45mm Rokkor
14101628622_cbe1be6450_b.jpg

Examples of the 50mm Rokkor 1.4
14035238262_1d9a413d9d_b.jpg

16068894770_0f37016333_b.jpg

Jupiter 11 Example
14372993309_8ccef2e134_b.jpg

Jupiter 8 Example
15633926894_6073dbb9c2_b.jpg

You need to ensure that the "Shoot without lens" option is turned on in your XE1 (which can then just be left on all the time even when using Fuji lenses), switch to manual mode and you're good to go. I use strong focus peaking turned on to help focus and that works well.

It's a cheap and fun way to get even more out of the XE1 without having to spend a fortune on Fujinon lenses. Plus it feels so right using old lenses with their manual focus.

Last edited:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Here's how the Jupiter 8 and Rokkor 45mm look on the XE1. The Rokkor is exactly the same size as the Fuji 35mm, even with the bulky adapter.

16071813669_ecaa3b7b24_b.jpg

15637929823_7de9d0681e_b.jpg

A couple of shots of the Jupiters for the hell of it.

16257821655_2844859141_b.jpg

16257012942_cc0ec143a5_b.jpg

16071817529_471ffae868_b.jpg

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
A good start would be the adapted lens threads on the Fuji-X forum.

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/forum/56-adapted-lens-discussion/

It's really easy to do. You just need to buy an appropriate adapter for the type of lens you are after. For example, the Russian Jupiters I mentioned are an M42 Leica mount so I bought a £15 Fotodiox M42 to Fuji X mount adapter from eBay which allows you to mount it and off you go. As the adapters are so cheap I bought one for each of my Leica mount lenses (Voigtlander 15 Heliar, Jupiter 8 50mm and Jupiter 11 135mm). I also have a Minolta Rokkor 45mm lens, which is small and awesome quality and I paid about £40 for that too. The Rokkors are great lenses and again, the adapters are about £15.

You can buy the lenses from eBay or old camera stores. There are plenty of them around. I got one Jupiter from Russia on eBay and one from the UK. My adapters mainly came from Hong Kong via eBay. No problems with any of them.

Example of the 45mm Rokkor

Examples of the 50mm Rokkor 1.4

Jupiter 11 Example

Jupiter 8 Example

You need to ensure that the "Shoot without lens" option is turned on in your XE1 (which can then just be left on all the time even when using Fuji lenses), switch to manual mode and you're good to go. I use strong focus peaking turned on to help focus and that works well.

It's a cheap and fun way to get even more out of the XE1 without having to spend a fortune on Fujinon lenses. Plus it feels so right using old lenses with their manual focus.

Thanks a lot! Now I'm going to end up in a research hole for the next week. Can't wait to learn more. I've actually got a bunch of Minolta lenses from the 70's that my mom gave me. I may look into those. And those shots look great. Fun. Thanks for the tips.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Great camera, I have used every version of the X100 series for documentary and above all, White House level political journalism, it is an indispensable tool for many of us working pros.

But, the T has an issue....

Imagine you are trying to change the white balance, drive mode or any menu item on your pro DSLR and the only way to see that information would be to either put the camera in live view mode to see it on the rear LCD or to glue your eye to the viewfinder even when not shooting in order to see it.

That is how the new X100T works. When using that wonderful camera in a normal shooting mode like OVF or the EVF and you push one of those buttons to change something, oddly enough it does NOT do like you would expect and show up on the back LCD but only in the viewfinder. So in order to see it on the rear LCD, you have to toggle through the entire view mode option set to see the menu item and return back to a normal shooting mode....it's utterly insane.

If Fuji does not fix this in the first firmware revision, I'm afraid I will be selling the camera and going back to the S, it is very disruptive to a normal workflow....which is really too bad because it is a stellar upgrade.

I'm sure they will fix it, they listen to their customers.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Put me in the convert camp, as well. I had a canon 5Dii and some L primes (35L, 135L). Being a hobbyist and not a pro, I seldom found myself lugging out the DSLR. The X100S is every bit as good (if you can live with the fixed 35mm, which is about all I used on my 5D, anyway), a little sharper, and exponentially more compact. Look around at all the reviews and whatnot, but if you can live with a fixed 35mm, its the easiest decision you can make. I actaully managed to sell all my gear, buy the x100s, AND put a couple thousand dollars back into my pocket which made it even better. This is a really fantastic camera.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I'm on month 1 of my X100T. It replaced my all time favorite camera, an X100.

There's a lot to continue to love with the T. Its a very well sorted camera and does everything very well.

However, even though I've shot XTrans I and II, I'm having issues with post. The T files just seem different. The other thing is my eye level Finder is slow to switch on. Its been back to Fuji and they say its "within spec" but admittedly slower than the X100S. Its also slower than my 3 other X cameras. I find it an annoyance. Sony users would love it. Older Fuji users might not.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I'm sure they will fix it, they listen to their customers.

You must have the LCD turned off at all times. Otherwise you would be able to see everything you're talking about (assuming you've set up the display info to your desires).

You might try leaving the LCD in Info mode. That's what I've always used and it shows just about every setting imaginable.

If you leave the LCD off, there's no top display for info ala Nikon. But then there aren't many cameras that have this ability. That would be a hardware update, not firmware.

I'm guessing you might want to read the User Manual.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
You must have the LCD turned off at all times. Otherwise you would be able to see everything you're talking about (assuming you've set up the display info to your desires).

You might try leaving the LCD in Info mode. That's what I've always used and it shows just about every setting imaginable.

If you leave the LCD off, there's no top display for info ala Nikon. But then there aren't many cameras that have this ability. That would be a hardware update, not firmware.

I'm guessing you might want to read the User Manual.

Nope, it's not an overlooked setting but a known issue:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/31721-x100t-use-ovf-but-menu-show-up-on-lcd/

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
That sux. I've always left the info panel on so it does not affect me. If I turned off the LCD, I'd also be quite annoyed.

I'l live, I just hope they get a fix for it before I head to Central America this Spring, I'll be down there with the X and a Leica M3 for a month.

It's still a stellar camera, the ultimate in many ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.