Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Apparently, don't EVER change your AppleID password, or it will totally f-up everything.

Tonight, I decided to change my password as I'd recently sold a couple of old devices and, although I did a full wipe/reset on all of them, I guess I was just being careful. So, I did it through the iForgot system. Everything went as expected, had to sign back into iMessage, iCloud, etc.

So, later on, a message pops up on my Mac Mini: "Your iCloud Keychain was reset". Huh? Ok, I clicked it and it said I either had to authorize it from another device, or use my code.

Um, ok...I use it on my iPhone and iPad, so I said to authorize. Nothing. No notifications on the other devices. I went into Settings on my iPhone, and it was turned off. Huh? Ok...I don't know how that happened, but I turned it on. Told me "iCloud keychain was reset" and I had to reauthorize. Great. Went through the code thing, and it seemed like it turned it on.

Went back to my Mac, did the "authorize" thing again, waited for the message. Instead of getting the request to authorize, my iPhone said "your iCloud keychain was reset".

So I decided to forget the iPhone for now and focus on the Mac. I've been trying for 2 hours, have done the code-based reset countless times. Each time, it works, keychain is enabled for about 5 minutes and then I get the "your iCloud keychain was reset".

I have no idea what to do next. I have found very few accounts of this on the support forums. I guess I'll have to open a ticket or something, but I don't even know what device to say I'm having trouble with.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Apparently, don't EVER change your AppleID password, or it will totally f-up everything.

Tonight, I decided to change my password as I'd recently sold a couple of old devices and, although I did a full wipe/reset on all of them, I guess I was just being careful. So, I did it through the iForgot system. Everything went as expected, had to sign back into iMessage, iCloud, etc.

So, later on, a message pops up on my Mac Mini: "Your iCloud Keychain was reset". Huh? Ok, I clicked it and it said I either had to authorize it from another device, or use my code.

Um, ok...I use it on my iPhone and iPad, so I said to authorize. Nothing. No notifications on the other devices. I went into Settings on my iPhone, and it was turned off. Huh? Ok...I don't know how that happened, but I turned it on. Told me "iCloud keychain was reset" and I had to reauthorize. Great. Went through the code thing, and it seemed like it turned it on.

Went back to my Mac, did the "authorize" thing again, waited for the message. Instead of getting the request to authorize, my iPhone said "your iCloud keychain was reset".

So I decided to forget the iPhone for now and focus on the Mac. I've been trying for 2 hours, have done the code-based reset countless times. Each time, it works, keychain is enabled for about 5 minutes and then I get the "your iCloud keychain was reset".

I have no idea what to do next. I have found very few accounts of this on the support forums. I guess I'll have to open a ticket or something, but I don't even know what device to say I'm having trouble with.

While I don't know how you could solve the issue, I don't think it's the password change that triggered it because I've had to change my iTunes/iCloud password 3 times in the last week due to unauthorized purchases on my account and my iCloud keychain was never turned off or stopped working.

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
While I don't know how you could solve the issue, I don't think it's the password change that triggered it because I've had to change my iTunes/iCloud password 3 times in the last week due to unauthorized purchases on my account and my iCloud keychain was never turned off or stopped working.
I wonder if what the OP experienced was because they changed the password throguh the iforgot system.

I do know this is a good reason to keep using a separate password keeper that can back up its data securely. I do keep other information in oneSafe that is not appropriate for the iCloud Keychain. This includes software keys and portable device serial numbers.

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014

I have the same problem too! I'm curious to know if you ever fixed your problem, and how?

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I have the same problem too! I'm curious to know if you ever fixed your problem, and how?

Nope, I gave up. It was very evident it was never going to work, so I said screw it. Don't know why some of their stuff gets such rave reviews when bugs exist for years and go completely unaddressed, but when you raise them with Apple you're told 'you're doing it wrong' essentially (ahemm Mavericks Finder).

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Nope, I gave up. It was very evident it was never going to work, so I said screw it. Don't know why some of their stuff gets such rave reviews when bugs exist for years and go completely unaddressed, but when you raise them with Apple you're told 'you're doing it wrong' essentially (ahemm Mavericks Finder).

Thanks! Even though we both are stuck with the same problem. It's just so frustrating because I really liked the feature, until it stopped working, because I had to reset it (due to new phone number). Think I have to give up too - don't want to use that much time on something I can't help.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks! Even though we both are stuck with the same problem. It's just so frustrating because I really liked the feature, until it stopped working, because I had to reset it (due to new phone number). Think I have to give up too - don't want to use that much time on something I can't help.
If you get it fixed let me know. I'd take it to a "genius" but they will be less help than the errors sages. But I'm sure it'll be fixed in newer/more flatterer OS 10.10 and ios 8. :/

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
I will let you know then! But think I'll just wait and see. As you say maybe in the new (i)OS(X)

spinboy

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Solved!

I had this same problem after I ventured into the Yosemite public beta today. Weird thing is the developer builds didn't touch my iCloud keychain at all. After installing the public beta today two computers, two iPads, and my iPhone all alerted me that my iCloud keychain was reset and the respective devices were no longer using it, I got the same error as the OP.

My fix:

On my iPhone I turned iCloud keychain back on and was given a dialogue box. I'm working from memory here for what the options were but you'll get the gist of it.

Options were to reset with passcode or reset the keychain (or something similar). I'd been using the passcode option and it failed on every device/computer. The last time I just chose the reset keychain option (last option of those listed other than cancel I think) and it worked! It then asked for the phone number of my iPhone then gave me the message that any additional devices would have to be approved from that phone.

One by one I enabled my iPads then one computer, each I approved from the phone although as I started adding devices they all had messages pop up to approve the subsequent new device. I just have one computer at work (the little focker that started this whole mess) to approve. Hopefully that will work as well.

Good luck!

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Still not working.

I had this same problem after I ventured into the Yosemite public beta today. Weird thing is the developer builds didn't touch my iCloud keychain at all. After installing the public beta today two computers, two iPads, and my iPhone all alerted me that my iCloud keychain was reset and the respective devices were no longer using it, I got the same error as the OP.

My fix:

On my iPhone I turned iCloud keychain back on and was given a dialogue box. I'm working from memory here for what the options were but you'll get the gist of it.

Options were to reset with passcode or reset the keychain (or something similar). I'd been using the passcode option and it failed on every device/computer. The last time I just chose the reset keychain option (last option of those listed other than cancel I think) and it worked! It then asked for the phone number of my iPhone then gave me the message that any additional devices would have to be approved from that phone.

One by one I enabled my iPads then one computer, each I approved from the phone although as I started adding devices they all had messages pop up to approve the subsequent new device. I just have one computer at work (the little focker that started this whole mess) to approve. Hopefully that will work as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input! - But I've already tried that reset-thing on both my iPhone and Mac, unfortunately in my case, it doesn't seem to work - the approvals never show up...

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for your input! - But I've already tried that reset-thing on both my iPhone and Mac, unfortunately in my case, it doesn't seem to work - the approvals never show up...

Could this by any chance be the fault of Sprint?

SanFran95

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Could this by any chance be the fault of Sprint?

You got the problem too? I don't think it has something to do with Sprint - also Sprint is not available here in Denmark. In my case it all worked until I had to change my phone number (same service provider though) and I got Apple's Two Step Verification up running with my phone number without any problems. I've tried literally everything (resetting, setting up on different devices etc.), so I think if there was some way on iCloud.com to reset (and manage) it from, it could somehow flush the problems out... But until that, I just hope that it may work on the new iOS and OS X, which I by the way can't wait to get on my devices :D

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
You got the problem too? I don't think it has something to do with Sprint - also Sprint is not available here in Denmark. In my case it all worked until I had to change my phone number (same service provider though) and I got Apple's Two Step Verification up running with my phone number without any problems. I've tried literally everything (resetting, setting up on different devices etc.), so I think if there was some way on iCloud.com to reset (and manage) it from, it could somehow flush the problems out... But until that, I just hope that it may work on the new iOS and OS X, which I by the way can't wait to get on my devices :D

It always says that it is going to send me an SMS with a code. It has never come, not even once. I thought maybe Sprint was blocking it.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Do you have your recovery code? That can bail you out once - I have mine printed out in my desk in my office, as a last resort.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
This just happened to me too and I'm panicking. Obviously I haven't hit "reset" yet.

I changed my Apple ID password and both my devices simultaneously kicked me off iCloud Keychain. When I tried to re-enable them, they both told me to use a device that was currently using iCloud Keychain. What the hell.

path_doc

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2015
It's happening to me too after a trip abroad. This seems to be some sort of poorly designed security that is triggered by certain activities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.