Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I have to confess that am still not sold on the idea of the watch, but time will tell. Thought these renderings look really cool.
I agree. I tried to Moto 360 when I had an Android phone and felt that it didn't really enhance or add anything to my experience. Maybe the Apple Watch will bring something new.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Some of those examples scare me :)

Really? My Visa statement is ready????

For what it's worth, I got very tired of too many notifications making it to my watch. It became a situation like the boy crying "wolf!" Getting buzzed too many times makes you crazy.

So I now only allow the very most important things (to me) through.

However, I can see where someone who's an attention junkie (my daughter!) would love all the notices. Or, of course, if you sometimes get emails that must be replied to.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Regarding Instagram, most of us would probably consider notifying every "likes" and "tags" to be quite pointless, a borderline spam really.

I am hoping most app designers would be wise enough to push only useful information to Apple Watch.

I was originally considering this as possibly a day one purchase, but then there was the battery life issue, and now I'm actually thinking "do I actually want this kind of junk to invade my wrist?"

I realise (hope) you have a good deal of control over what gets installed on the watch, but I just know there's going to be website / developer idioticty along the current lines of google and co; "hey! It's a mobile device! Cripple everything!"

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I was originally considering this as possibly a day one purchase, but then there was the battery life issue, and now I'm actually thinking "do I actually want this kind of junk to invade my wrist?"

I realise (hope) you have a good deal of control over what gets installed on the watch, but I just know there's going to be website / developer idioticty along the current lines of google and co; "hey! It's a mobile device! Cripple everything!"

I'm not sure how much functionality you're expecting from a one inch wide screen that can only be operated with one hand and uses an incredibly fiddy physical dial that barely fits in your fingers to scroll.

I suspect after initial hype, people will get annoyed at daily charging and battery life, companies will get annoyed at having to sink tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars into extra development and maintenance for another app, and non iPhone users will get sick of hearing people talking about it trying to justify their purchase and apple watch users will be seen as wankers (like Google glass).

I'm usually excited for new products and categories, but wearables from every company have made me so cynical for some reason. It just feels like the hype around 3D televisions again. I don't even know a company that still makes them.

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
Personally, I'm excited about this product. I know some of you say you already have a phone. That's true, but I like the idea I don't have to keep my phone in my pocket for information or the ability to contact someone. No more fumbling around or constantly reaching for my phone. I like the fact that a wearable can be discreet.

Remember the data it presents will be brief, so I doubt you'll see people with their heads buried in their wrists. I had a SPOT watch back in 2006-09. I liked it. It contained info I could quickly glance at - scores, weather, some headlines. The only reason I stopped using it was somehow the charger stopped working and then the watch went dead and at the time I couldn't afford to get the base replaced/repaired. The only other negative to the SPOT watch was that it required a subscription except for the most basic info. Fortunately, Apple Watch won't require that (however I am sure some developers are looking at ways to exploit the watch's capabilities for profit).

Does it appear I will be paying $400 or more to be a beta tester? Maybe so. But a product can never be perfected in a lab. It needs random real world users. I look forward to seeing this product grow.

jdbrandt

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Northern California
Control car from your wrist

I can pre-heat or pre-cool my Tesla from my phone, unlock it, check battery state, start/stop charging, see location etc. Doing this from my wrist would be nice. Within a few years every car will be connected to the internet and have similar remote functions. I think controlling automobile functions will be a popular AppleWatch functionality.

The Tesla 85D just released (and the Model X coming out later this year) has all the sensors for autopilot, which will be enabled in software later this year. On non-public roads, you'll be able to tell the car to drive out of your garage to meet you. How cool would it be to tap on your wrist and have your car come to you and open the door. BatMobile anyone?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Still don't get this. Why would you wanna see information, photos, etc... on such a tiny device when your bigger screen phone is right on your pocket. Are we getting this lazy? I really thought Apple would present something different, but this is just the same as every other smartwatch out there. I still think this won't take off like the iPhone or iPad did, but we'll see if developers can make this attractive.

If nothing else, for things you might want to glance at your phone for: the time, a notification, a quick message to a friend.

In many ways, we convinced ourselves an iPad was necessary. Even though we had devices already that did what iPad could do, we spent £500 to use our laptops and phones less.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I have to confess that am still not sold on the idea of the watch, but time will tell. Thought these renderings look really cool.

You are not alone. And I'm actually bummed I don't want one causes I have the money to at least buy one of the inexpensive ones.

----------

I can pre-heat or pre-cool my Tesla from my phone, unlock it, check battery state, start/stop charging, see location etc. Doing this from my wrist would be nice. Within a few years every car will be connected to the internet and have similar remote functions. I think controlling automobile functions will be a popular AppleWatch functionality.

The Tesla 85D just released (and the Model X coming out later this year) has all the sensors for autopilot, which will be enabled in software later this year. On non-public roads, you'll be able to tell the car to drive out of your garage to meet you. How cool would it be to tap on your wrist and have your car come to you and open the door. BatMobile anyone?

lol I can do all that now even in a VW, no need for a tesla.

EDIT: the first part of your post,not the second part obvi lol

Last edited:

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Call me crazy but I'm so against wearable's like this. Just another distraction.

Some of those examples scare me :)

Really? My Visa statement is ready????

For what it's worth, I got very tired of too many notifications making it to my watch. It became a situation like the boy crying "wolf!" Getting buzzed too many times makes you crazy.

So I now only allow the very most important things (to me) through.

However, I can see where someone who's an attention junkie (my daughter!) would love all the notices. Or, of course, if you sometimes get emails that must be replied to.

I think that the use of these devices mostly as notification relayers is only how people are thinking about them now because that is primarily what their competitors have done...
I honestly believe that will be a very small part of what we use our Apple Watches for. The gentle health reminders are a biggie & I think will expand to helping us optimize our sleep schedules and beyond. Communication via taps, audio text, & emoji seem bigger than notifications as well.

I think we're all assuming they'll release a generation every year like the iPhone. That may not be the case!

While true that we don't know anything for certain; I believe we can strongly assume yearly refresh. EVERYONE seems eager to get this market... though none have made more investment than Apple (with their astounding amount of hires). The competition will NOT be resting on their laurels. Not having a yearly update would be tantamount to stacking money in a pile and burning it.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I just can't get hyped about it since it needs an iPhone for full functionality.

That makes it virtually no different than those Nike trackers you install in your shoes and download the data to your PC later. Meh

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Of course this would require Chase to do some work on their apps once in a while. Their app still isn't optimized for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus and no Touch ID support.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Digital agency Huge yesterday released a set of renderings showing off their concepts for how existing popular apps like Fandango, Foursquare, Chase Bank, and others could take advantage of the Apple Watch when the smartwatch launches in the coming months.

The Huge website is interesting eye candy on an iPad (you might want to check it out at the link in the quote above) but their imagination is seriously lacking if they think end-users want junk mail and trivia on their wrist.

TBH, the whole thing smells like a quickly-cobbled-together ad for their services. It's certainly not a sincere attempt to explore how an apple watch could enhance a wearer's life. I think the office intern must've had time to fill?

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The whole concept of ever increasing phone screen sizes, only to have yet another device on you with a smaller screen for quick access baffles me.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Still don't get this. Why would you wanna see information, photos, etc... on such a tiny device when your bigger screen phone is right on your pocket. Are we getting this lazy? I really thought Apple would present something different, but this is just the same as every other smartwatch out there. I still think this won't take off like the iPhone or iPad did, but we'll see if developers can make this attractive.

The Apple Watch isn't about "laziness" any more than a TV remote control, radio preset, or motorized garage door opener. If done correctly (which I believe Apple has), the Apple Watch has the potential to make our digital lives LESS distracting and more convenient.

Imagine your typical get together with friends. Your hands and eyes are tied up looking up directions to the place. Your pocket's buzzing left and right, and you don't know if each buzz is "I'm here" or "I've been in a car accident" so you whip out the phone each time. You take out the phone to get the Groupon, or Yelp the best dish, or Fandango the movie tickets. And each glance is a temptation to go down the rabbit hole.

If Apple Watch can present it discreetly and timely, all of the above will be done so much faster and without occupying the eyes, hands, and mind. And it also looks nice, tells the time, pays for your Walgreens trip, controls your Apple TV/iTunes library, and reminds you to get off our @$$ once in awhile.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I just can't get hyped about it since it needs an iPhone for full functionality.

That makes it virtually no different than those Nike trackers you install in your shoes and download the data to your PC later. Meh

I don't think I'll ever understand this complaint. I always have my phone with me or near me at all times. When I go running, I have it to listen to music or to stream Spotify or Songza or iTunes Radio. I also take any phone calls that are emergencies or respond to texts. The last thing I want is another device on my shared data plan.

I still really want one of these eventually. I can't justify the $350 right now but I could see myself getting one later on down the road. One of my friends (who is an avid runner) is looking forward to it because he'd get more use out of it than his Pebble, which has limited functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.