Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, you can count me among those who like a watch with clean lines and a clearly legible and easily read face, as well.

Mind you, I will confess to a small (and mostly suppressed) liking for a watch that has complicated moon phases - I will admit to an admiration for the horological technology involved in being able to depict such a thing accurately…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
LOL at you lot hating on my Citizen. Each to their own, and I can look at it and tell the time instantly :)

In truth, when buying - or thinking about buying - a watch, all that matters is that you like it; you are the person who bought it, and you are the person who will derive enjoyment and pleasure from owning it and from wearing it.

As you say, each to their own.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Criminy.....can't Citizen fit a few more letters, number, and tick marks on that face? Everyone has their own taste, but I can't stand the recent trend to make watchfaces as "busy" as possible....I want something that I can look at my wrist and see what time it is in less than 30 seconds :)

Newsflash, watches are accessories and fashion statements ultimately, it's all subjective

This isn't a thread to judge someone's taste

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Newsflash, watches are accessories and fashion statements ultimately, it's all subjective

Agreed, this isn't a thread to judge someone's taste, - each to their own - although personal taste on such a subjective matter will, inevitably, differ….

While I think you are right to point this out, - that watches are accessories and fashion statements - I would suggest that the decision to wear a timepiece - especially well crafted timepieces - goes a little bit further than that.

For guys, the decision to wear a watch can assume an even greater importance, as watches are one of the few forms of accessory, or jewellery, that guys are able to wear without attracting societal disapproval; hence, for guys, the choice of what watch is worn can be viewed as an important feature of a constructed identity.

Anyway, apart from the functional aspect (we wear watches to tell the time), there is also a recognition of the sheer craftsmanship that goes into crafting a gorgeous timepiece, and the aesthetic pleasure to be had from wearing such a timepiece.

And, too, there is also a celebration of the simple fact that we can actually put a name and number on the act we call telling the time. Not so many centuries ago, time was measured in days, in the endless sequence of lengthening and shortening days and nights, in sun rise and sun set, and in hours, if we were lucky enough to live close to the sort of church steeple that boasted a clock that could distinguish between the hours of the day.

Accurate timepieces which could represent minutes were considered marvels of technology, and of horological engineering. I have seen the stunning clock in the centre of the Old Town of Prague, and marvelled at the ancient wonder in the cathedral in Wells, both over half a millennium old, and both able to calibrate time to the minute as well as the hour, its half and its quarters. Being able to define time - and represent it accurately by means of technological, engineering, craftsmanship and horological advances is a stupendous achievement, one which would have seemed frankly incredible and utterly miraculous over a few hundred years ago.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

If you read what you quoted, you'd see I said "everyone has their own taste" - does that sound like I was judging? I was expressing my opinion on a style of watch - not judging the person who bought one. No scolding from you was necessary.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
So whos got a nice watch? I've a few nice ones. I just got this the other day, thought I'd share....so show me yours?

dsc028314ab.jpg

Are you really banned?

----------

And i have the nike fuel band in ice white

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
If you read what you quoted, you'd see I said "everyone has their own taste" - does that sound like I was judging? I was expressing my opinion on a style of watch - not judging the person who bought one. No scolding from you was necessary.

To say "everyone has their own taste" then follow with a critique of someone's watch isn't what this thread is about. Pretty simple

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'm sure I've posted this before but I thought I'd get in on the vintage Seamaster love-in with my 70's TV dial version.
11952300405_97da0896fc_b.jpg

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Thanks fellas. It's a watch that I'll never get rid of. My wife already has dibs on it in case I ever succumb to a bout of madness and say that I no longer want it.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Everyone has a taste, a style that they like. I really don't get excited with anything of a square dial design and prefer round dials. There are some beautiful pieces on show here.

Thing is, I am a getting my addiction under control and so I am down to 5 now (from 18):

1 - Timex Snoopy in red, my first watch ever
2 - Seiko SKX100 diver. Classic auto beater
3 - Panerai Power Reserve
4 - IWC Portuguese Chrono
5 - Fortis Cosmonaut

But I seem to have stopped wearing any of these since I got one of those devils work activity tracker bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.