Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porkplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
This is so weird. This happened to me before, one of my apps went missing. I couldn't find it anywhere I search for it so I thought I accidentally deleted it. I did not install it again but surprisingly it came back the next day. Note : this is an app I used to open everyday

Today my Logic Pro X is missing. I use it everyday as well. Now I can't find it, so I used a data recovery software to check if I accidentally erased it. I could see lots of files that I deleted way before my app went missing, so that probably means I did not accidentally erase it. Also, the system files in the library folder are still there. But when I try to open a Logic Pro document I can't open it, instead terminal opens.

One weird thing though. A few days ago the time on the clock of my Mac changed. It was hours different from the actual time. But today, same day my Logic Pro disappeared, my clock changed back to the correct time.

Has this occurred to anyone here? Is there a way to fix this? I don't have Time Machine enables so I guess that's not an option.
I hope my app returns tomorrow though.

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That makes no sense at all, did you go to the applications forum in terminal to see if the actual .app was present. The application is stored on your drive, if it disappears i.e., not on the drive anyone, it cannot reappear.

What may have happened is something odd occurring with Finder, or how it was presenting the window.

Maybe in an odd twist your drive is having issues, did you run a diagnostic on it?

Porkplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2014
Okay so the app that I mentioned that was missing in this thread eventually appeared hours after i posted this. (i had to do a few restarts)

Now (a few days later), it's gone again. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks for your answers :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked above:
[[ How come applications are suddenly missing? (but strangely, they reappear) ]]

Could you tell us where they are missing from?

Are the apps in question still in your Applications folder?

Do you use more than one drive?

Next time you click on a Logic document to open it, and terminal opens instead, try this:
1. RIGHT click on the document and keep the button held down
2. Move the pointer over "Open With" and examine the choices that are offered to you
3. Do you see "Logic" among them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.