Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
See point 12 on that page. You'll need to convert from HDMI or whatever output your PC provides to either Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort and it should/might work. In theory, at least.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
See point 12 on that page. You'll need to convert from HDMI or whatever output your PC provides to either Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort and it should/might work. In theory, at least.

Seeing as it's pretty much impossible to convert HDMI to Thunderbolt, I suppose that would rule out the 2011 and later iMac. I do know the 27" mid 2010 will work with any Mini DisplayPort signal.

Dezryth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
Seeing as it's pretty much impossible to convert HDMI to Thunderbolt, I suppose that would rule out the 2011 and later iMac. I do know the 27" mid 2010 will work with any Mini DisplayPort signal.

My graphics card has dual-link DVI, HDMI, and Displayport 1.2. Am I pretty much out of luck with this endeavor?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Pre-Thinderbolt iMacs should work with any DisplayPort signal for Target Display Mode.

Post-Thunderbolt iMacs will only do TDM for another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac.

Sorry.

Dezryth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
Pre-Thinderbolt iMacs should work with any DisplayPort signal for Target Display Mode.

Post-Thunderbolt iMacs will only do TDM for another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac.

Sorry.

Thanks guys. No worries. That's Apple for ya!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.