Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a mid 2010 Mac Pro (5,1) and I think it's time to replace my 20" Apple cinema display with something a bit more current. I am a graphic designer so sharpness and color are more important than high-end gaming. From what I've read, Dell's monitors seem a great balance of price and quality and I've been looking at their 27" models. That's where I get a bit lost.

A couple options seem to be the Dell Ultrasharp U2715H or the Ultrasharp U2713HM (roughly the same price and specs so not quite sure of the difference). Another option I was considering was the new 4K P2715Q, though for that, I would need to upgrade my graphics card. If that's an option I should consider, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive graphics card that can run 4k at 60Hz. I'd love to get a monitor that will last for some years to come without forcing me to expensively upgrading an aging desktop.

Any thoughts on these monitors or other options worth considering would be hugely useful. Apple's next Thunderbolt display won't work for my pre-Thunderbolt MacPro so I'm looking elsewhere.

Thanks,
David

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
You could always go for a pristine second-had 27 LED Cinema display (TB Display -TB).

Can be had for $500-700 in like new condition on eBay. That's what I would do most likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.