Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npaisnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2013
Always possible for the power supply/ charging board to have died too...if it has gone suddenly.

Can you still power on the laptop with it connected to power?

Lithium batteries often need balancing..and as they go out of balance, they last less and less time..one individual cell in the pack is lower capacity than the rest, so it loses charge quicker..
As it goes below a certain voltage, the Battery Management System board (BMS) cuts the output to protect the lower capacity cell from going below a certain voltage.

NOt saying that is what has happened in your case..but worth considering. One thing to try is to leave it on charge and plugged in for 48 hours or more...it gives the BMS chance to re-balance the cells.

but your pack (for lithium) does have a high number of cycles..it could just be natural old age. Leave it for 48 hrs and see if it coms back.

I recently found an old 07 MBP..been in cupboard for 3 or more years used and totally dead. it took a good 2 days to get a full charge back in to it..and it has only had 108 cycles

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
Hi

i have a macbook pro 15 inch from 2010 ,the battery cycle count is 1178 and on a full charge i get about 2hours 30min use.

Now i know i should get a new battery but will my battery just fail to charge one day or will the battery life just deteriorate to a point where i need to buy a new one.

Being honest i don't won't to spend money i don't have to ,so i might just tough it out but i was wondering how much longer i have left .

Thanks in advance

I have a mid-2010 15" MBP too. I'm on my 1079th cycle and my battery life sucks too. I get around 2 to 2.5 hours out of it.

I think the battery life goes steady downhill, but at one point of time, it just dies and you get the "service battery" indicator.

Let's hope that ours outlast our needs.

Raptor

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a mid-2010 15" MBP too. I'm on my 1079th cycle and my battery life sucks too. I get around 2 to 2.5 hours out of it.
What's the current battery health?
I think the battery life goes steady downhill, but at one point of time, it just dies and you get the "service battery" indicator.
The "Service Battery" status may indicate a defective battery, but it also appears when the battery health drops below 80%, even though the battery is not defective and still usable. You can continue to use a battery below 80% health as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs and as long as it doesn't exhibit any other problems, such as swelling.

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
What's the current battery health?

The "Service Battery" status may indicate a defective battery, but it also appears when the battery health drops below 80%, even though the battery is not defective and still usable. You can continue to use a battery below 80% health as long as it holds sufficient charge to meet your needs and as long as it doesn't exhibit any other problems, such as swelling.

iStat Pro shows 85%.

I wasn't aware of that. I've only seen it once on my cousin's 13" MBP and his battery had just died.

Raptor

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008

Let's hope that ours outlast our needs.

Raptor

I think part of it in my case is an APP that essentially forces the laptop to stay on the NVIDIA graphics. I've been up an hour and used over 50% cpu. Though the icon says I have 2 hours remaining :)

raptor402

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2011
I think part of it in my case is an APP that essentially forces the laptop to stay on the NVIDIA graphics. I've been up an hour and used over 50% cpu. Though the icon says I have 2 hours remaining :)

Well, I suffer from the Nvidia GT330M logic board issue. My laptop gets a kernel panic anytime between 5 seconds and 5 hours after the dGPU has been switched on. I have to use gfxCardStatus to force the MBP to use the iGPU. I use chrome and VLC often, both of which require the dGPU. Surprisingly, neither of them require the dGPU on my father's mid-2010 15" rMBP. Must be because OS X takes the performance of the GPUs into consideration when classifying GPU use for applications (unlike Nvidia Optimus, which classifies applications beforehand).

In any case, I get 2-3 hours of battery on the iGPU exclusively. I'm using an SSD and have an HDD in the optical drive bay that I usually keep ejected to squeeze every last second out of the battery.

Raptor

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
My MBP (2009 17" screen 2.93 GHz) is now telling me to "Service Battery" when I click on my battery. It has about 700 cycles on it. I'm pretty pleased with how long my battery has lasted. A full charge still gives about 2 hrs of use. I'm going to check to see if Apple has any pity on me since I'm below the 1000 cycles :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My MBP (2009 17" screen 2.93 GHz) is now telling me to "Service Battery" when I click on my battery. It has about 700 cycles on it. I'm pretty pleased with how long my battery has lasted. A full charge still gives about 2 hrs of use. I'm going to check to see if Apple has any pity on me since I'm below the 1000 cycles :)
While it never hurts to ask, batteries are not covered after the warranty and AppleCare has expired, even if they are determined to be defective. You may get someone at the Apple Store to break the rules, but I certainly wouldn't count on it. Batteries are, after all, consumable items, and will eventually need to be replaced at the owner's expense.

Benji1337

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
My late 2011 Macbook pro is on 1202 cycles and is telling me my battery health is normal. I still get about 4 hours battery life out of it on a good day. Personally I think that's pretty amazing, must be shipped with a good quality battery.

Nick Jinks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Thinking of getting my battery replaced. I usually use my MacBook exclusively with the power cable, but I upgraded from iPhoto to Photos this morning without the cable, an the "Photos Agent" app ate nearly 40% of my power in 10 minutes flat before I could disable it:

MacBook Pro 13.3 Mid 2009
Battery: 666 Cycles, 35% health.

Guess my question is how long can I go before I HAVE to replace it to prevent permanent damage to my MacBook? I.e. leaking or swelling on the battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Guess my question is how long can I go before I HAVE to replace it to prevent permanent damage to my MacBook? I.e. leaking or swelling on the battery?
With your battery health so low, swelling could occur at any time. On the other hand, it may never swell. It's up to you if you want to take the risk. Personally, I wouldn't. I'd replace the battery immediately, rather than risk my MacBook for the sake of the cost of a battery.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
This

With your battery health so low, swelling could occur at any time. On the other hand, it may never swell. It's up to you if you want to take the risk. Personally, I wouldn't. I'd replace the battery immediately, rather than risk my MacBook for the sake of the cost of a battery.

It is getting to the point where it could damage your computer. Of course at 6 years old you are getting to the stage of fix yours or put that money towards a new PC...

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi

i have a macbook pro 15 inch from 2010 ,the battery cycle count is 1178 and on a full charge i get about 2hours 30min use.

Now i know i should get a new battery but will my battery just fail to charge one day or will the battery life just deteriorate to a point where i need to buy a new one.

Being honest i don't won't to spend money i don't have to ,so i might just tough it out but i was wondering how much longer i have left .

Thanks in advance
The battery will eventually completely fail to charge.

Once it does it has a chance of swelling and damaging your computer.

iBilal

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
mac battery ..

I usually keep my MacBook Pro plugged into the adapter .. that's A LOT of cycles, you're talking about .. I've had my rMBP for three years now .. and my cycle count is less than 200 .. and the battery capacity is at 93% ..

Attachments

• ScreenShot 2015-04-18 at 5.38.27 am.jpg
    ScreenShot 2015-04-18 at 5.38.27 am.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 634

Nick Jinks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010

I thought the battery was good for 1000 cycles? I've been putting off getting a new battery as long as I can, more I use this one the longer a new one will last.

It is getting to the point where it could damage your computer. Of course at 6 years old you are getting to the stage of fix yours or put that money towards a new PC...

This MacBook does everything I want right now. Sure it slows down like crap when I use Skype, but I'd rather keep this as long as possible [say another few years], then spend money replacing it.

Moore's Law: computer processing power doubles every year. Not quite relevant, but the longer I use this one, the more powerful computer I can subsequently buy for the same cost, especially if I but a refurbished MacBook.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I thought the battery was good for 1000 cycles? I've been putting off getting a new battery as long as I can, more I use this one the longer a new one will last.
Not necessarily. Apple claims that batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of their original capacity for up to 1000 cycles. If they fail to do so, Apple will usually replace them as defective if they're still covered by warranty or AppleCare. That doesn't mean all batteries will make it to 1000 cycles.

Nick Jinks

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
Not necessarily. Apple claims that batteries are designed to retain up to 80% of their original capacity for up to 1000 cycles. If they fail to do so, Apple will usually replace them as defective if they're still covered by warranty or AppleCare. That doesn't mean all batteries will make it to 1000 cycles.

This one won't be covered after 6 years.

I need to do a complete hardware test on this thing anyway. The battery and the fans on this thing worry me. I've already given up on the DVD drive replaced it with a Blu-ray external since the mechanism is probably broken.

But until the entire thing breaks, I'll keep it.

Last edited:

patch5674

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
New rMBP health

I have a 2015 pro, when i got it, coconut battery said 99% health. I have now done 4 cycles in 3 days and I am down to 97% health. Is this normal while the battery calibrates etc or is there a slight issue I should keep an eye on before the 14 days are up?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a 2015 pro, when i got it, coconut battery said 99% health. I have now done 4 cycles in 3 days and I am down to 97% health. Is this normal while the battery calibrates etc or is there a slight issue I should keep an eye on before the 14 days are up?
Your battery is fine and those readings are perfectly normal. Your battery does not need calibration.

Reactions: laurihoefs

patch5674

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
Your battery is fine and those readings are perfectly normal. Your battery does not need calibration.

Although I have just joined this particular forum, I am not new to OS X, Your condescending tone can be left for your other replies. I did not see any percentage drop in health in the first 3 days of owning my polycarb blackbook nor my 2011 Air.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Although I have just joined this particular forum, I am not new to OS X, Your condescending tone can be left for your other replies. I did not see any percentage drop in health in the first 3 days of owning my polycarb blackbook nor my 2011 Air.
There is no "tone" in my post, as I have no emotional involvement in stating factual information. If you take it as such, you're being overly sensitive. Just because it didn't happen on two other Macs you've owned doesn't mean it's not common or normal.

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Reactions: laurihoefs

patch5674

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2015
There is no "tone" in my post, as I have no emotional involvement in stating factual information. If you take it as such, you're being overly sensitive. Just because it didn't happen on two other Macs you've owned doesn't mean it's not common or normal.

Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Apologies for being snappy, that link was helpful, thank you. This is my first laptop purchase since my air, I get very excited/anal about these little things. Other than that it is perfection. The battery is outstanding I am seeing 12 hour days with office, evernote, STATA, ArcG.I.S and lots of PDF's open, and the Force Touch is witchcraft and has quite a lot of potential I think. Although Apple need to open it up a bit more, want to be able to set force click to just open the link in new tab but don't make it the active tab, that would make me ultra happy...

Sorry for going off track. Thanks again.

uti

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
I think my battery is the champion:) That is my second battery. I am currently using the mid 2009 mac pro 2,53. How long do you thing I can keep using it without any problem?

Health: %70
Current/original max: 4022/5770 mAh.
Cyles: 1623
Ages: 4 years
Health status: fair

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.