Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've made a bold move with the approval of my wife. I have cancelled Showtime and HBO. :p

There was a time when we subscribed to the likes of HBO to see the movies. News flash- these days, with streaming, the landscape has changed significantly. When I analyzied it, we watch most recent movies by streaming them for $2-3 dollars. The movie offerings on these Networks are sorry, limited, an unworthy offering, definitely not worth $17 a month for HBO nor $16 for Showtime.

I figured we are currently watching just a couple of shows on these networks, Homeland, Masters of Sex (which we are getting bored with), and Game of thrones. These two networks cost about $34/month, $400 a year. In comparison, if I don't mind watching one season behind, I can access these episodes for a significant cost savings through Amazon or iTunes. For example, the last Game of Thrones season was 10 shows. I can stream that entire season for $30. Is a season of GoT worth $200? Nope.

I'd like to verify that for HBO/Showtime content, the only way to see it by streaming outside of those networks is staying one season behind? Thoughts? Thanks! :):)

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I have been on the $10 a month cable access. It includes the channels you'd probably be able to get with a good antenna. If there are any shows we want to watch that are not on Hulu or Netflix we buy on iTunes. Which for the last couple of years has only been The Walking Dead.

I can't justify the cost of regular cable with what little we watch on there.

I think it's a good move to start with the cutting of those premium channels.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have been on the $10 a month cable access. It includes the channels you'd probably be able to get with a good antenna. If there are any shows we want to watch that are not on Hulu or Netflix we buy on iTunes. Which for the last couple of years has only been The Walking Dead.

I can't justify the cost of regular cable with what little we watch on there.

I think it's a good move to start with the cutting of those premium channels.

Thanks! My cable bill (cable, security system, internet, phone) was $230 per month. Now it's about $195. Phone is $20, internet is $50, monitored security is $20. That leaves the TV portion of the cable bill at about $100 a month. Next step is to either drop the house VOIP phone and investigating viable options for Internet access. Anyone know of any for Internet?

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
You don't have any good viable internet options other then Cable or DSL. Satellite is expensive and not fast enough. Unless you find an independent carrier.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You don't have any good viable internet options other then Cable or DSL. Satellite is expensive and not fast enough. Unless you find an independent carrier.

Thanks.

I looked on Amazon Prime, as previously stated for HBO and Showrime, I see episodes only for the previous season available for streaming. Does anyone know if current episodes (current season) of HBO or Showtime can be viewed in any legit channels, something like iTunes without subscribing directly to those networks?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Thanks.

I looked on Amazon Prime, as previously stated for HBO and Showrime, I see episodes only for the previous season available for streaming. Does anyone know if current episodes (current season) of HBO or Showtime can be viewed in any legit channels, something like iTunes without subscribing directly to those networks?
iTunes might have episodes after they air. But maybe not all shows.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not ready to completely dump my home phone, I just took steps to save over $1000 over a 6 year period by switching to Magic Jack. My monthly home phone bill dropped from $20/month to about $2 per month for the next 6 years, although I paid the bill up front. Phone call quality is decent. Of note, before this I had Suddenlink phone service, which likes to describe themselves as "real" phone service except it's not. When the Internet went down so did the phone line. And before that we had Vonage, another VOIP service (like Magic Jack) but they wanted $25 a month. I guess it's no surprise that all of Magic Jack's sales and service talk-to people are based overseas in some Asia sounding location.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I've made a bold move with the approval of my wife. I have cancelled Showtime and HBO. :p

There was a time when we subscribed to the likes of HBO to see the movies. News flash- these days, with streaming, the landscape has changed significantly. When I analyzied it, we watch most recent movies by streaming them for $2-3 dollars. The movie offerings on these Networks are sorry, limited, an unworthy offering, definitely not worth $17 a month for HBO nor $16 for Showtime.

I figured we are currently watching just a couple of shows on these networks, Homeland, Masters of Sex (which we are getting bored with), and Game of thrones. These two networks cost about $34/month, $400 a year. In comparison, if I don't mind watching one season behind, I can access these episodes for a significant cost savings through Amazon or iTunes. For example, the last Game of Thrones season was 10 shows. I can stream that entire season for $30. Is a season of GoT worth $200? Nope.

I'd like to verify that for HBO/Showtime content, the only way to see it by streaming outside of those networks is staying one season behind? Thoughts? Thanks! :):)

Didn't read entire post so if someone else already suggested this, sorry.. but
The CEO or someone high up there at HBO said he is encouraging people to share their HBO log in information. He believes that by giving people a free peek at HBO, they would then want to get the real deal on their tvs and order his service. So, find a friend who still pays for the service and ask for their log in and watch anything you want on HBO to go. (showtime probably has the same service but I can't speak for that channel, don't have it myself)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Didn't read entire post so if someone else already suggested this, sorry.. but
The CEO or someone high up there at HBO said he is encouraging people to share their HBO log in information. He believes that by giving people a free peek at HBO, they would then want to get the real deal on their tvs and order his service. So, find a friend who still pays for the service and ask for their log in and watch anything you want on HBO to go. (showtime probably has the same service but I can't speak for that channel, don't have it myself)

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Well on this side of the water.

TV: 60 channels + HBO 1,2,3, Fox Sports 1,2,3. combined with 500GB HD video-recorder.

Internet: 90Mb/sec this is due to change later this year when updated to fibre optic cable. Then (180Mb/sec) €15 more.

Mobile phone: 2000MB internet, 200mins call time, + free WiFi spots around the country.

This all in one package costs € 120.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well on this side of the water.

TV: 60 channels + HBO 1,2,3, Fox Sports 1,2,3. combined with 500GB HD video-recorder.

Internet: 90MB/sec this is due to change later this year when updated to fibre optic cable. Then (180MB/sec) €15 more.

Mobile phone: 2000MB internet, 200mins call time, + free WiFi spots around the country.

This all in one package costs € 120.

I'm at a whopping 15mb/sec (or is it 30?) and 50mb/sec for only $10 more a month...

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I just keep subscribing to there deals to keep the price down. I haven't paid extra for Showtime for a couple years now. Along with a lower price for the regular cable. Unfortunately I have to get the premium package for TCM.

Really I'm paying $100 a month for TCM, BBC America, Smithsonian, Braves baseball, some legit animal documentary channel and Showtime. Really all I watch Showtime for is boxing. All the good shows are over.

I'd rather pay $5 to $10 a month to stream in HD the individual channels I actually watch. And live sports.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I'm at a whopping 15mb/sec (or is it 30?) and 50mb/sec for only $10 more a month...

- je downloadsnelheid gaat van 90 Mbit/s naar 120 Mbit/s
- je uploadsnelheid gaat van 9 Mbit/s naar 12 Mbit/s

To-day my internet provider gave me a boost, no extra charge.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
How much is your internet access bill? I'm paying about $60 a month.
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-02%20at%2015.12.29_zps9d6pxvhe.png

As you can see it's €52,50, but that's is combined with TV and Internet, if you only have internet it's €41,00.

The TV is the standard package of 60 senders, but I've got both HBO & Fox sport for which I pay extra.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Cord Cutter since 2009. Have AppleTV and OTA local broadcast (which I very rarely ever look at). Monthly bill? $35/month plus $7.99 Netflix plus free Hulu Plus (Bing Rewards), and the occasional movie rental on iTunes. For me, I have everything I need. No more paying nearly $1000/yr for something that brought me so little value.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

As you can see it's €52,50, but that's is combined with TV and Internet, if you only have internet it's €41,00.

The TV is the standard package of 60 senders, but I've got both HBO & Fox sport for which I pay extra.

I wonder what that converts to in Dollars?

----------

Cord Cutter since 2009. Have AppleTV and OTA local broadcast (which I very rarely ever look at). Monthly bill? $35/month plus $7.99 Netflix plus free Hulu Plus (Bing Rewards), and the occasional movie rental on iTunes. For me, I have everything I need. No more paying nearly $1000/yr for something that brought me so little value.

I watch a variety of shows found on 'premium' channels. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to cut the cord. :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Every time I see these things, the more I get angry at how much Comcast is screwing me. $50/mo for 6Mbps/2Mbps. :mad:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Every time I see these things, the more I get angry at how much Comcast is screwing me. $50/mo for 6Mbps/2Mbps. :mad:

Yikes. I didn't realize their slower plans where so pricey, that definitely reeks of low-end-penailty type pricing model. You can go from 6Mbps to 105 for (more than 15X the speed) for _less_ than twice the price.

Heck, if I were you, I'd almost drop the 3Mbps plan for $19.95.

We're on their Biz plan, the 50/10, we generally see ~58/~12, it's about the same pricing as the regular consumer 105, but according to some folks-in-the-know, there's a difference upstream, plus we definitely get a better service level (truck to my door same day), static IP(s) if desired, no caps/throttling/port-blocking.

If (hopefully +when+) FIOS is available, I'll switch ASAFP.

On topic: CTC over a month ago, not missing anything, still consuming a decent amount of TV from various sources (OTA, cable, premiums, streaming services) :cool:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
You've got a better rate. I realize overall tax rates must be Included in the calculation though. :)

I'm not 100% sure what you mean?
I don't pay any tax/charges if I exchange foreign currency through my own bank.:)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yikes. I didn't realize their slower plans where so pricey, that definitely reeks of low-end-penailty type pricing model. You can go from 6Mbps to 105 for (more than 15X the speed) for _less_ than twice the price.

Heck, if I were you, I'd almost drop the 3Mbps plan for $19.95.

We're on their Biz plan, the 50/10, we generally see ~58/~12, it's about the same pricing as the regular consumer 105, but according to some folks-in-the-know, there's a difference upstream, plus we definitely get a better service level (truck to my door same day), static IP(s) if desired, no caps/throttling/port-blocking.

If (hopefully +when+) FIOS is available, I'll switch ASAFP.

On topic: CTC over a month ago, not missing anything, still consuming a decent amount of TV from various sources (OTA, cable, premiums, streaming services) :cool:

Last I checked their 3Mbps plan would cost me $35 or $40 per month. It varies wildly from region to region. My father, on the other side of the country, pays around $55 for 25 down (I forget upload bandwidth) with Comcast...

You're right their faster plans are only marginally more expensive, but it's just an extra expense that I would feel bullied into paying.

Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.