Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Dear Guru's

Today its a disaster as my MAc Pro 2009 EFI hacked 2010 was not booting up.
I've got black screen with no chime.:(
I've tested the display on a PC and its working.
Replaced the power supply with a spare unit and symptom remain.
I did remove some RAM just left 2 pcs and symptom remain.
There is no Error LED lid and i've no clue where the problem lies.
I suspect it might be either the Logic board or Back panel.

Any guru here can help me to narrow down more to determine which part might be failing as both Board cost me a fortune to have both replace.:eek:

Also one very important question since i've mod the EFI to 2010 Mac Pro 5.1 can i replace the Processor Board to the Mac Pro 2010 to have it work like a 2010 MAc Pro as i cant find any answer from Googling.:eek:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I'm not the guru, but I'll try to help.
Did you try diagnostic LEDs, booting without graphics card, HDDs?
TBH almost any electrically failed component could lead POST to fail. It doesn't have to be logic board or backplane, but of course it could be.
Reset SMC, try minimum possible hardware config, check diagnostic LEDs and post results.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
I'm not the guru, but I'll try to help.
Did you try diagnostic LEDs, booting without graphics card, HDDs?
TBH almost any electrically failed component could lead POST to fail. It doesn't have to be logic board or backplane, but of course it could be.
Reset SMC, try minimum possible hardware config, check diagnostic LEDs and post results.

I've done the min diagnostic but can't help.
I did SMS reset by removed the power and let it be for 15min before turn on still the same.
I've even replace the battery.
I'm not sure where to go by now. :(

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I've done the min diagnostic but can't help.
I did SMS reset by removed the power and let it be for 15min before turn on still the same.
I've even replace the battery.
I'm not sure where to go by now. :(

What about diag LEDs? Do you know how to use them?
Basically, you need to push (and hold) a little button on logic board while powering on the machine. See post I've previously linked (button is located under screwdriver handle, next to diag LEDs). Get yourself a Service Manual for your MP model. If you won't be able to find it, PM me, I'll send you one.

You can even try to remove all hardware:
HDDs, graphics card and other PCI cards, RAM, optical drive – and power on.
If logic board and backplane both are good, you'll get blinking power light.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Yup I had the Mac Pro 2009 service manual I've try removed everything just left CPU A and still no luck. I'm away for A week and will do some ore testing. Pls help to post some more suggestion I will try. Since no LED error indication I really don't know what to test from here.

----------

What about diag LEDs? Do you know how to use them?
Basically, you need to push (and hold) a little button on logic board while powering on the machine. See post I've previously linked (button is located under screwdriver handle, next to diag LEDs). Get yourself a Service Manual for your MP model. If you won't be able to find it, PM me, I'll send you one.

You can even try to remove all hardware:
HDDs, graphics card and other PCI cards, RAM, optical drive – and power on.
If logic board and backplane both are good, you'll get blinking power light.

I'm using the Areca 1880i. I can remote into the card and I can see all hdd are healthy and my array are normal. So hdd are in good condition.
CPU B was removed just left the heat sink intact and only had 2pcs of ram at slot 1 and slot 5.
CPU A still intact as I didn't remove it.
Battery was removed and replaced with new.
Power supply was tested with a spare unit.

Display was removed but still no chime.
Display was test on a pc and no issue.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Yup I had the Mac Pro 2009 service manual I've try removed everything just left CPU A and still no luck. I'm away for A week and will do some ore testing. Pls help to post some more suggestion I will try. Since no LED error indication I really don't know what to test from here.

----------

I'm using the Areca 1880i. I can remote into the card and I can see all hdd are healthy and my array are normal. So hdd are in good condition.
CPU B was removed just left the heat sink intact and only had 2pcs of ram at slot 1 and slot 5.
CPU A still intact as I didn't remove it.
Battery was removed and replaced with new.
Power supply was tested with a spare unit.

Display was removed but still no chime.
Display was test on a pc and no issue.

Just a suggestion, maybe swap the CPUs then and then run the other one? This happened with my G5 Quad.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Just a suggestion, maybe swap the CPUs then and then run the other one? This happened with my G5 Quad.

Thanks my friends I swap the CPU as suggested n the Mac back to life. I've check both CPU r running with no error from the apple diagnostic tools. I just can't understand what's went wrong in a sudden it just refused to boot in such condition. After follow OrqngeSVTguy suggestion by swapping CPU B & A it works. :eek: it's a relief I don't had to spend on getting any board.

On my other question does anyone happen to test by replacing the processor board on a 2009 mod logic board? If can then we can just get a 2010 proc board and swap it.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Congrats on reviving your MP. I noticed that the symptom you described matches that when people upgraded their 2009 dual processors without success. This seemed to suggest that the upgrade may fail over time and requires reinstall of processors due to whatever the causes.

On my other question does anyone happen to test by replacing the processor board on a 2009 mod logic board? If can then we can just get a 2010 proc board and swap it.
You need to have the matching processor board and backplane board as explained here. Also 2010 DP models use different heatsink parts from those in 2009.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Congrats on reviving your MP. I noticed that the symptom you described matches that when people upgraded their 2009 dual processors without success. This seemed to suggest that the upgrade may fail over time and requires reinstall of processors due to whatever the causes.

I'm not sure as what's the cause if this as well. To my consent it might due to the tension on the screws. But that's just what I can think off.

You need to have the matching processor board and backplane board as explained here. Also 2010 DP models use different heatsink parts from those in 2009.

Since I've mod the efi on my MP2009 shouldn't the 2010 processor board recognized it? I'm not sure as I never had a chance of test it before. And yes I understand that the heat sink are different.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Since I've mod the efi on my MP2009 shouldn't the 2010 processor board recognized it?
The 2009 and 2010 have different versions of the SMC firmware, and it was explained in the link I posted:

There's 2x forms of firmware in a MP; first is the primary firmware for the CPU's, stored on the daughterboard. Second is the SMC firmware that's used to operate the fans in the MP's case (IIRC, it's stored on a separate Flash chip on the backplane board).

The flash utility that's been made available, only flashes the primary system firmware. Hence the possibility to have a mismatched set of CPU and SMC firmware.

Now IIRC, if it's mismatched, it will work from a technical standpoint, but the case fans are running at max. So if you don't mind sitting next to a vacuum cleaner, by all means, use whatever grouping of boards you like.

And this post confirms the incompatibility of SMC version caused fans running at full speed.

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
The 2009 and 2010 have different versions of the SMC firmware, and it was explained in the link I posted:

And this post confirms the incompatibility of SMC version caused fans running at full speed.

Noted. Means if need have to get both board n new heat sink. Unless I got a good deal else stay out of it. As I can't find any nice deal on it. Any recommendation?:(

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Mac Pro 2009 Non Boot No Chime no power

Dear All,

It happen again and seems this time its much worst. !
Even i removed and swap CPU it won't work. Ive even place back the original 2.26 CPU also no luck.
Ive even disassemble everything and left the back logic board and assembly back again with a new PSU also nothing happen.
What can i do now. I need to atlas know what rent wrong before i can jump into a solution any Guru out there could help.

Attachments

• IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 706
Last edited:

Tizucumacu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Dear All,

It happen again and seems this time its much worst. !
Even i removed and swap CPU it won't work. Ive even place back the original 2.26 CPU also no luck.
Ive even disassemble everything and left the back logic board and assembly back again with a new PSU also nothing happen.
What can i do now. I need to atlas know what rent wrong before i can jump into a solution any Guru out there could help.

Hi, did you find any solution ? I think my MacPro have the same issues :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.